Will the Drastic supports high resolution rendering?

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
Nukepayload2
Will the Drastic supports high resolution rendering?

Post by Nukepayload2 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:48 pm

DeSmuME_X432R supports high resolution rendering ,which grately reduced aliasing(see the the attached file).
DeSmuME_X432R's binary and source code(for developers to refer):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nz33kdyyhz6it ... 3-29-0.zip
Attachments
RinkoHD4.PNG
emulator:DeSmuME_X432R
render mode:OpenGL X3
MSAA antialiasing:on
RinkoHD4.PNG (172.43KiB)Viewed 18519 times

Jay Haru

Re: Will the Drastic supports high resolution rendering?

Post by Jay Haru » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:35 am

dunno if this may have occured to you but demume runs on a pc. much poewerful than a mobile phone.
Behold my mighty

slamandar

Post by slamandar » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:50 pm

This is a video comparison of the defferent rendering :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8JlPAayDHs
Sorry if my English is bad, I'm French !

kaikun97

Post by kaikun97 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:44 am

Jay Haru wrote:dunno if this may have occured to you but demume runs on a pc. much poewerful than a mobile phone.
Won't hurt to try. just add it as an experimental feature. Some devices may actually be fast enough to run this feature semi-decently

I would like to try it even if it is agonisingly slow :)

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:56 pm

This is not something that can happen just by trivially turning on a feature. The custom build of DeSmuME is doing it with the OpenGL renderer. DraStic only uses software rendering, for a few reasons:

1) There are features in the DS GPU that don't map well to OpenGL ES 2.0, which is all most Android devices have. On PCs the situation is a little better.
2) DS has both 2D and 3D graphics, and they have to be combined. To combine a hardware renderer with software 2D rendering you have to read back the framebuffer which can be very slow. Especially on a lot of mobile GPUs that are scene gathering.
3) GPU capabilities vary a lot on mobile devices, even more than CPU capabilities. And for some platforms we've used for testing like Linux on Exynos 5250 Chromebook and Odroids there isn't really usable OpenGL ES at all.

So we really have no plans to do hardware rendering.

I want to try doing 4x rendering in software - it can be done, for example gpu_neon in PCSX-reARMed does it. But it's not really that trivial, and it will require much more CPU power so probably only high end devices will be able to handle it.

Nukepayload2

Post by Nukepayload2 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:44 am

Exophase wrote:This is not something that can happen just by trivially turning on a feature. The custom build of DeSmuME is doing it with the OpenGL renderer. DraStic only uses software rendering, for a few reasons:

1) There are features in the DS GPU that don't map well to OpenGL ES 2.0, which is all most Android devices have. On PCs the situation is a little better.
2) DS has both 2D and 3D graphics, and they have to be combined. To combine a hardware renderer with software 2D rendering you have to read back the framebuffer which can be very slow. Especially on a lot of mobile GPUs that are scene gathering.
3) GPU capabilities vary a lot on mobile devices, even more than CPU capabilities. And for some platforms we've used for testing like Linux on Exynos 5250 Chromebook and Odroids there isn't really usable OpenGL ES at all.

I want to try doing 4x rendering in software - it can be done, for example gpu_neon in PCSX-reARMed does it. But it's not really that trivial, and it will require much more CPU power so probably only high end devices will be able to handle it.
This desmume emulator supports softrasterizer(not OpenGL) 2x,3x and 4x.

kaikun97

Post by kaikun97 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:26 pm

Exophase wrote:This is not something that can happen just by trivially turning on a feature. The custom build of DeSmuME is doing it with the OpenGL renderer. DraStic only uses software rendering, for a few reasons:

Will there be any doable way to get high quality 3D graphics on drastic like in the screenshot in the original post?

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:03 pm

Nukepayload2 wrote:This desmume emulator supports softrasterizer(not OpenGL) 2x,3x and 4x.
Yes, see the last sentence I wrote. Of course it can be done, I already have plans for implementation. The problem isn't doing it at all, the problem is the impact it has on performance.

mckimiaklopa

Post by mckimiaklopa » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:50 pm

I hope this gets implemented seeing as how a feature like this would be better than without having this

if this gets implemented soon,i think no one has the right to complain seeing as how it is obvious that it will cause some impact in the performance not to mention being just new

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:40 am

mckimiaklopa wrote:I hope this gets implemented seeing as how a feature like this would be better than without having this

if this gets implemented soon,i think no one has the right to complain seeing as how it is obvious that it will cause some impact in the performance not to mention being just new
no one has rights but that doesnt mean no one will complain why the feature is too slow on their device.
Behold my mighty