Pokemon save corruption issues (work-around in thread)

Ask questions about DraStic or discuss compatibility issues here.
Jay Haru
Re: Pokemon save corruption issues (work-around in thread)

Post by Jay Haru » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:07 pm

Ego_Bizarro wrote:Ok, thanks! Old save states don't concern me, I just wanted to start playing the game as soon as it worked well on drastic.
So, patched or clean rom?
As far as I know, both works fine.
Behold my mighty

Ego_Bizarro

Re: From pirate to geniue, I can't save.

Post by Ego_Bizarro » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:23 pm

Jay Haru wrote: if an ingame save takes more that 3 secondsto save its corrupt. im not sure what you mean skip until you can save but i tried it many times and it works. also i tend to use the reset feature of drastic more than the soft reset.

Hm, is this still valid? Because I started a new game (Pokémon White, clean rom) and every ingame save I make takes about 3-4 seconds (and I haven't even used save states, yet). Does this mean, I'll have problems later on? Because up to now the save doesn't seem to be corrupt.

Exophase

Re: From pirate to geniue, I can't save.

Post by Exophase » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:29 pm

Ego_Bizarro wrote:
Jay Haru wrote: if an ingame save takes more that 3 secondsto save its corrupt. im not sure what you mean skip until you can save but i tried it many times and it works. also i tend to use the reset feature of drastic more than the soft reset.

Hm, is this still valid? Because I started a new game (Pokémon White, clean rom) and every ingame save I make takes about 3-4 seconds (and I haven't even used save states, yet). Does this mean, I'll have problems later on? Because up to now the save doesn't seem to be corrupt.
You're probably okay.

Ego_Bizarro

Post by Ego_Bizarro » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:51 pm

Aye, thanks :)

Fabstic

Post by Fabstic » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:23 am

I have the same problem, but couldn't solve it with the mentioned solutions.
When I went to defeat the Elite 4 I saved (savestate) everytime before I had to fight one of
each. I now have 5 savestates (1st: AFTER LANCE) (2nd: BEFORE LANCE) (3rd: BEFORE that), ETCETERA...
After defeating Lance and the credits I get the notice: The save file has been erased due to corruption or damage.
I tried all the mentioned solutions, but none of them worked. I began playing Pokemon Heart Gold with the old version
of Drastic DS, but now have the new version (with saving in-game saves in savestates).

Please, can somebody help me?

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:58 am

Fabstic wrote:I have the same problem, but couldn't solve it with the mentioned solutions.
When I went to defeat the Elite 4 I saved (savestate) everytime before I had to fight one of
each. I now have 5 savestates (1st: AFTER LANCE) (2nd: BEFORE LANCE) (3rd: BEFORE that), ETCETERA...
After defeating Lance and the credits I get the notice: The save file has been erased due to corruption or damage.
I tried all the mentioned solutions, but none of them worked. I began playing Pokemon Heart Gold with the old version
of Drastic DS, but now have the new version (with saving in-game saves in savestates).

Please, can somebody help me?
Are you sure you followed how to do it? Also, even on new version, if your existing dsv is already damaged, it would still prolly corrupt the ingame save.
Behold my mighty

Fabstic

Post by Fabstic » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:50 pm

Jay Haru wrote:Are you sure you followed how to do it? Also, even on new version, if your existing dsv is already damaged, it would still prolly corrupt the in-game save.
Yes I'm sure of it. I followed these steps (Maybe you can check them):

- Delete excisting in-game save(s) (Menu > New game > No > Up-Select-B > Delete all saved data, yes, yes)
- Start a new game (It starts automatically)
- Skip until I can in-game save
- Save in-game
- Softreset the game (Menu > Reset)
- Load the new and working in-game save (That works!)
- Load savestat (Menu > Load/Save > The savestat before I have to fight Lance)
- Save in-game
- Softreset the game (Menu > Reset)
- .... The save file will be erased due to corruption or damage.

There is 1 strange thing. I also tried something else...., when I deleted the in-game saves and I load the savestate, and try to in-game save, it says: There is an excisting file, do you want to overwrite it?... But actually there can't be an excisting file right? Because I just deleted the excisting .dsv files.

I can also send you my savestat(s), maybe you can check it yourself.

Fabstic

Post by Fabstic » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:12 pm

UPDATE TO REPLY ABOVE:
40 hours of Pokemon play time ago I decided to copy my savestates to my PC. I just realized that.
So I transferred the old savestates to my smartphone, then I followed the steps again and the save worked!!
Conclusion: My recent savestates are DAMAGED. But the question is, when or why did it got damaged? It didn't damage
after defeating Lance, because of the savestates I made before the fight.
And the last question: Is it (ever) possible to repair the damaged savestates? By now I won't try it anymore, but I'll save
the states for later...
The one who finds the solution, you're my hero!

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:00 pm

Fabstic wrote:UPDATE TO REPLY ABOVE:
40 hours of Pokemon play time ago I decided to copy my savestates to my PC. I just realized that.
So I transferred the old savestates to my smartphone, then I followed the steps again and the save worked!!
Conclusion: My recent savestates are DAMAGED. But the question is, when or why did it got damaged? It didn't damage
after defeating Lance, because of the savestates I made before the fight.
And the last question: Is it (ever) possible to repair the damaged savestates? By now I won't try it anymore, but I'll save
the states for later...
The one who finds the solution, you're my hero!
Ah, you followed the second way. the second fix works if the first one fails apparently (removing the .dsv on backup folder within the drastic folder.

as for the question on corruption, it usually corrupts when you load a savestate that sees an ingame save that happens before that. and example would be if you have an ingame save inside e4 building then you loaded a savestate where you are outside. the system would be confused as it is impossible (on a regular ds) and would treat it as corrupt.
Behold my mighty

Fabstic

Post by Fabstic » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:02 am

Jay Haru wrote: as for the question on corruption, it usually corrupts when you load a savestate that sees an ingame save that happens before that. and example would be if you have an ingame save inside e4 building then you loaded a savestate where you are outside. the system would be confused as it is impossible (on a regular ds) and would treat it as corrupt.
So it's actually impossible for me to get further than the Elite Four? I also tried to let myself defeated by Lance so I got back out of the Elite Four Building again. Maybe there is something else I can do in this way? That the damage will be fixed if it sees that I'm out of the building??