Multiplayer

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
FoReVeR_0515
Re: Multiplayer

Post by FoReVeR_0515 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:45 am

Jay Haru wrote:
klasas0 wrote:Why not connect though Bluetooth/NFC etc for Multiplayer games?
Why not? If local WiFi (ad-hoc) could be implemented using your phone's WiFi hardware, I'd be certain some configuration could be done for the Bluetooth hardware to be used and seen as WiFi by the virtual DS. Although that would be even more complicated. I figure if you're phone/tablet has Bluetooth, it will most likely have WiFi.

Not saying the developer would even take the time to try implementing local WiFi, but I would assume it would be easier than also trying to get online functionality going. Maybe if the emulator sells enough, he would have enough means and motivation to attempt implementation of local WiFi. If not, still a nice thought.

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:20 am

Dood, read the FAQs

It basically says wifi emulation is damn difficult. It's not that hard to read and understand. Saying why not do it on bluetooth is basically just being stupid. If you have dificulties emulating something of the same vein, how in the world would you do it on a different platform?

As you said, every phone that has bluetooth will surely have wifi so again, what is the need for making something that is just the devs banging their heads to a wall?

As for the devs, its not really about money. It was just a bonus to what they love to do.
Behold my mighty

FoReVeR_0515

Post by FoReVeR_0515 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:08 pm

Jay Haru wrote:Dood, read the FAQs
I have read the FAQ, so moot statement.
Jay Haru wrote:It basically says wifi emulation is damn difficult. It's not that hard to read and understand. Saying why not do it on bluetooth is basically just being stupid. If you have dificulties emulating something of the same vein, how in the world would you do it on a different platform?

As you said, every phone that has bluetooth will surely have wifi so again, what is the need for making something that is just the devs banging their heads to a wall?
I never said it wasn't difficult, or that I thought they should try. I was just saying that it would be possible. I also never said that it would make sense to implement it over Bluetooth, as it obviously wouldn't.

There's no reason to call me stupid, as I am not. So please refrain.
Jay Haru wrote:As for the devs, its not really about money. It was just a bonus to what they love to do.
Some part of it is about the money, else it would be free. I agree with them charging, they should be paid for their hard work. Many people get paid for what they love to do.

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:51 pm

I wasn't really refering to you as stupid but hey, if it hurts you, not my prob.

Until a proof of concept shows that bluetooth can emulate wifi, its impossible. And no, ad hoc is WIFI capability. You quoted a guy suggesting the use of bt and nfc.

Well, prolly part of it really is about money. I'm just repeating what I hear from them.
Behold my mighty

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:27 pm

Everyone be kind ;p No need to get personal over a nice technical chat.

Like Jay Haru says, the complexity is mainly in emulating the wifi on the DS hardware. The means of transporting the data off the phone isn't really as important, although if the hardware requirements are particularly latency sensitive it could make a difference. I doubt this would be the case since it's WiFi to begin with. Going over WiFi makes it easier to use standard IP, so that it can talk to a computer or whatever using ethernet. Doing Bluetooth would probably be more work, plus the annoyance of having to pair devices.

It seems like you already get this though - it's like you say, BT would probably be even more complex and not really necessary since a device is more likely to have wifi + no BT than no wifi + BT.

Either way.. until the DS's wifi emulation is done at all the whole thing is pretty academic :/

About the money thing, yes of course getting some money is a factor.. but at the same time I don't think we're really doing features to try to get more sales.

FoReVeR_0515

Post by FoReVeR_0515 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:59 pm

Jay Haru wrote:I wasn't really refering to you as stupid but hey, if it hurts you, not my prob.
No hurting here, I just thought it rude.
Jay Haru wrote:Until a proof of concept shows that bluetooth can emulate wifi, its impossible. And no, ad hoc is WIFI capability. You quoted a guy suggesting the use of bt and nfc.
Not sure what you mean with "And no, ad hoc is WIFI capability". The DS has wireless network hardware that is used for both local and internet wireless communication. I just said "ad-hoc" in parenthesis next to it for people who don't know what I mean by "local WiFi".

I quoted you in response to him, and just saying that if local WiFi was ever implemented, it should be possible to route it over Bluetooth. I do understand this would be very difficult and very impractical, so I don't see a reason for it to ever be done.

Anyway, I don't want to argue about any of this. It seems we both understand what we're talking about and there was just some miscommunication. Let's start over.

Hey Jay Haru, nice to meet you!

FoReVeR_0515

Post by FoReVeR_0515 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:07 pm

Exophase wrote:Everyone be kind ;p No need to get personal over a nice technical chat.

Like Jay Haru says, the complexity is mainly in emulating the wifi on the DS hardware. The means of transporting the data off the phone isn't really as important, although if the hardware requirements are particularly latency sensitive it could make a difference. I doubt this would be the case since it's WiFi to begin with. Going over WiFi makes it easier to use standard IP, so that it can talk to a computer or whatever using ethernet. Doing Bluetooth would probably be more work, plus the annoyance of having to pair devices.

It seems like you already get this though - it's like you say, BT would probably be even more complex and not really necessary since a device is more likely to have wifi + no BT than no wifi + BT.

Either way.. until the DS's wifi emulation is done at all the whole thing is pretty academic :/

About the money thing, yes of course getting some money is a factor.. but at the same time I don't think we're really doing features to try to get more sales.
Hey Exophase! First I want to thank you for putting in the work and time to create what is already a great DS emulator. I tried it out, like it, and so I bought it.

Oh, I definitely don't think features should be implemented (with any app/game) for the sake of increased sales. Although that would be a nice secondary result. But that just means you're doing something right and it's a great app.

Anyway, please keep up the good work and know that it does go appreciated by most.

the_cake_is_a_lie

Post by the_cake_is_a_lie » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:06 pm

Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-09-15 at 7.34.02 AM.png
Screen Shot 2013-09-15 at 7.34.02 AM.png (178.54KiB)Viewed 28370 times

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:47 pm

Yeah, welcome to the forums, Forever! hope you stick around, Forever! ;)

also, cake:

Behold my mighty

Ryuk

Post by Ryuk » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:30 am

Hey guys! I just saw at the options of r2.1.6a "multiplayer/wifi". Does this mean the devs (Lordus and Exophase) are working on a wifi option?! :D