Can you set th screen exact same size as DS Lite

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
bugaboow
Can you set th screen exact same size as DS Lite

Post by bugaboow » Sun May 24, 2020 3:46 pm

I wish to replicate the exact same PHYSICAL screen size as the DS Lite. I'm not talking just resolution. I want the image to have the same diameter as an image from DS Lite. That will bring maximum image sharpness without deforming it.

How can I do it? I don't have access to a DS lite anymore. I only own a DSI XL, which is broken and doesn't turn on anymore.

Also, how can I fix audio going "ppppp" sometimes? Choppy audio sometimes.

xperia64

Re: Can you set th screen exact same size as DS Lite

Post by xperia64 » Sun May 24, 2020 10:58 pm

bugaboow wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 3:46 pm
I wish to replicate the exact same PHYSICAL screen size as the DS Lite. I'm not talking just resolution. I want the image to have the same diameter as an image from DS Lite. That will bring maximum image sharpness without deforming it.

How can I do it? I don't have access to a DS lite anymore. I only own a DSI XL, which is broken and doesn't turn on anymore.

Also, how can I fix audio going "ppppp" sometimes? Choppy audio sometimes.
It's going to be impossible to get the exact same resolution (or at least integer scaling of the real resolution) and physical screen size of a DS. Pick one.

Try increasing the audio latency, or playing with the framerate stabilizer in the settings to address the audio issues.

MK73DS

Post by MK73DS » Mon May 25, 2020 6:06 am

« That will bring maximum image sharpness without deforming it. »

That's not true. You will lose sharpness if you resize the DS screen except if it is an integer scaling : 1x, 2x, 3x, ...

The DS has a fixed resolution of 256x192 per screen. Your phone has a fixed resolution too, let's say 1080x1920. If you want each pixel of the DS screen to correspond to one pixel on your phone, you'll end up with a super tiny screen size because your phone has a higher pixel density. That's why DraStic offers the ability to scale the screen size, but doing so will break the 1:1 correlation between the DS's pixels and your phone's pixels.

Integer scaling allows you to map each DS pixel to a square of pixels on your phone : 1x is 1 DS pixel <-> 1 phone pixel; 2x is 1 DS pixel <-> 2x2 = 4 phone pixels, and so on. That's the only best way to have a physically bigger screen without any loss in sharpness. But you are limited to a fixed number of possible sizes.

If you want a size that is not a perfect multiple of the size corresponding to a 1x scale, then some DS pixels will take up more phone pixels than others. It's like putting 5 apples in 3 baskets : you will not be able to spread them evenly. This will introduce some deformation in the image, or if you apply a smoothing filter, it will bring a noticeable loss of sharpness.

Having the original physical size isn't a requirement : even Nintendo DSs don't all have the same screen size ! The sharpness and image quality is only dependent on the number of pixels, not their size.

bugaboow

Post by bugaboow » Sat May 30, 2020 12:31 am

Hi xperia and mk73ds. thanks for your input.

so is there a way to make the screen have the exact aspect ratio as a ds?

So, the DS's res is 256x192. my phone has a 720x1280 screen. if i set the emulator to run the games as 512x384, i can have a bigger screen with the same shape as a original ds screen. How can i do that?

I didn't find an integer scaling setting, where do i find it?

xperia64

Post by xperia64 » Sat May 30, 2020 4:14 am

bugaboow wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 12:31 am
Hi xperia and mk73ds. thanks for your input.

so is there a way to make the screen have the exact aspect ratio as a ds?

So, the DS's res is 256x192. my phone has a 720x1280 screen. if i set the emulator to run the games as 512x384, i can have a bigger screen with the same shape as a original ds screen. How can i do that?

I didn't find an integer scaling setting, where do i find it?
You want to go into the layout editor for the layout you want to use, tap a screen, and select tools. From there you should have 1x, 2x, 3x, etc buttons.

bugaboow

Post by bugaboow » Sat May 30, 2020 7:41 pm

Thanks xperia i found it now it's great. My phone has 720p screen so i can only get to 2x. that removed all of the distortion (which is what i wanted) but the screen size is smaller than ds lite. in order to get 3x i believe i'd have to own a phone with a bigger screen and 1080p resolution. thanks.