If you don't mind me asking, what's the issue with Tegra 2?

Ask questions about DraStic or discuss compatibility issues here.
JimBobIII
If you don't mind me asking, what's the issue with Tegra 2?

Post by JimBobIII » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:31 am

After losing my Xperia Play a few months back, I finally purchased a 'new' phone, a Samsung Captivate Glide, on eBay earlier this week. I was excited to find out about DraStic's release and subsequently a bit disappointed at its lack of Tegra 2 support. Should I assume that the issue here is the Tegra 2's lack of NEON support (the biggest flaw I can think of, off the top of my head), or is there some other underlying issue? Should I also assume the likelihood of a fix or workaround is slim or zero? I don't really know if the Android version is being developed actively alongside the Pandora version or if it's more of a port.

I hope I'm not sounding rude or overly pessimistic; I'm really impressed by this project even if it'll be a few more years before I have use of it anyways. I'd put down the $8 if I still had a compatible device linked to my Google Play account, but I don't think it'll let me.

ChronoReverse

Re: If you don't mind me asking, what's the issue with Tegra

Post by ChronoReverse » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:09 am

JimBobIII wrote:After losing my Xperia Play a few months back, I finally purchased a 'new' phone, a Samsung Captivate Glide, on eBay earlier this week. I was excited to find out about DraStic's release and subsequently a bit disappointed at its lack of Tegra 2 support. Should I assume that the issue here is the Tegra 2's lack of NEON support (the biggest flaw I can think of, off the top of my head), or is there some other underlying issue? Should I also assume the likelihood of a fix or workaround is slim or zero? I don't really know if the Android version is being developed actively alongside the Pandora version or if it's more of a port.

I hope I'm not sounding rude or overly pessimistic; I'm really impressed by this project even if it'll be a few more years before I have use of it anyways. I'd put down the $8 if I still had a compatible device linked to my Google Play account, but I don't think it'll let me.
Tegra 2 doesn't work because, as you suspected, it lacks NEON.

JimBobIII

Post by JimBobIII » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:49 am

Yeah, not surprising. I still have no idea what Nvidia was trying to do by releasing a multimedia-focused chipset without key multimedia support. I'm not really concerned as I still have my 3DS anyways, but I always enjoy being able to compress the number of devices I need/use even further, and I suspect I'll be replacing my phone again in a year or two anyways.

a41airport

Post by a41airport » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:01 am

So, will it work with Tegra 2 in upcoming updates?
It would be prefect if the emulator work with Sony Tablet P.

JimBobIII

Post by JimBobIII » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:39 am

There's pretty much no chance unfortunately. From what I've seen around the web, DraStic relies pretty heavily on NEON (which, to oversimplify things, is ARM's main media processing engine/instruction set for ARMv7+). This is the reason Tegra 2, Intel Atom, and MIPS devices can't run it - Intel Atom is a non-ARM architecture that can emulate or interpret ARM code, but apparently can't or doesn't handle NEON instructions, MIPS is a non-ARM architecture, and despite using ARM Cortex-A9 cores (which are fully capable of supporting NEON, but it's apparently an optional feature), Nvidia decided to release a multimedia/gaming-oriented chipset without proper NEON support as the Tegra 2.

Getting the emulator to work without using NEON would require a rewrite of every part of the emulator that uses NEON, which is fairly counter-intuitive - 90% or more of the devices that have compatible specs have NEON-capable processors, and there's no reason to do it from a performance standpoint either.