What's The Best Most Powerful Phone For Drastic

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
Neptune
Re: What's The Best Most Powerful Phone For Drastic

Post by Neptune » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:43 pm

Anything with 1GB+ of RAM and a quad core CPU would suffice to run DraStic perfectly although be wary of the Tegra chip set since it seems to have issues running DraStic, the Snapdragon and Crapynos can run it perfectly.

Huntereb

Post by Huntereb » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:48 pm

Neptune wrote:Anything with 1GB+ of RAM and a quad core CPU would suffice to run DraStic perfectly although be wary of the Tegra chip set since it seems to have issues running DraStic, the Snapdragon and Crapynos can run it perfectly.
Quad core CPU's are worthless with Drastic because the way it currently emulates the DS hardware can only be accomplished through one core, even using two cores for 3D intensive games renders the emulator almost useless. Like I said, a device with 4 cores would have to run each at or over 1.5 GHz to actually emulate at decent rates.

Neptune

Post by Neptune » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:01 pm

Huntereb wrote:
Neptune wrote:Anything with 1GB+ of RAM and a quad core CPU would suffice to run DraStic perfectly although be wary of the Tegra chip set since it seems to have issues running DraStic, the Snapdragon and Crapynos can run it perfectly.
Quad core CPU's are worthless with Drastic because the way it currently emulates the DS hardware can only be accomplished through one core, even using two cores for 3D intensive games renders the emulator almost useless. Like I said, a device with 4 cores would have to run each at or over 1.5 GHz to actually emulate at decent rates.
Not really I clocked mine at 1.4GHz and it runs DraStic fine even though it only has 1GB of RAM which sort of bothers me but point aside, it also depends on the chip set and RAM, I mean try running DraStic on a single core device with 512MB of RAM and you'll wish it runs well.

My N7 has the Tegra 3 chip set clocked at 1.3 GHz with more available RAM than my i9300 and yet it has more issues running certain games on it that my i9300 doesn't, DraStic runs but it has some issues that is limited to it only, PPSSPP has major flickering issues which I can't explain and I think you get it.

Huntereb

Post by Huntereb » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:45 pm

Yeah I have PPSSPP and it flickers like a bitch for unknown reasons.

I run Drastic at 1.3 GHz, and it runs most games fine, but the OP was asking what system is BEST for Drastic, to which I would suggest a device over 1.5 GHz for better performance. I should have said "normal" instead of "decent" which makes it sound like it's always slow.

Drastic could run on a single core system with 512 MB's of RAM easily, as long as the core is 1.3-1.5+ GHz and you aren't running too many processes.

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:33 pm

Currently, going more than two cores doesn't really help you, even with threaded 3D on. This could change in the future.

Other than that, I don't think you can have too much power per CPU core. Some game is going to need it. And often (but not always..) the newer CPUs are also more power efficient for lighter loads, so it can be win/win. That said, something like a 1.5GHz dual-core Krait 200 (Snapdragon S4) will be enough most of the time and even a 1.4+GHz Cortex-A9 will do fairly well.

A 1GHz Cortex-A8 or Scorpion will struggle quite a bit more. A 1GHz Cortex-A7 seems to even moreso, although I haven't had the chance to test it myself. And a 1GHz Cortex-A5 will perform quite poorly - I got at least one report on that and I don't blame people if they want a refund if that's what their phone uses.

But even then there are some games with very low requirements, particularly ones that are pure 2D. Meaning that they don't just look 2D but don't use the 3D engine to render graphics. Those are unfortunately few and far between. One example is Yoshi's Island DS, which also has a very low CPU load, and on my Pandora w/Cortex-A8 it can run at full speed without frameskip at only around 300MHz. Pandora's software is more efficient than Android, though.. the 1GHz Pandoras do much better than phones with similar hardware like Samsung Galaxy S1..

Huntereb

Post by Huntereb » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:50 pm

I should have also mentioned that, Older/Newer model CPU's tend to act differently. Older CPU's were built for simpler, easier loads than the kinds of stuff we use today, though I can't say I'm too familiar with mobile processors (I'll assume it's similar to the way PC hardware has been built over the years).
Exophase wrote:Pandora's software is more efficient than Android, though.. the 1GHz Pandoras do much better than phones with similar hardware like Samsung Galaxy S1..
I read into that actually, Android needs a bit of optimization in order to make better use of it's hardware.

I've been hearing a lot about this "Pandora" you've been speaking of, so I'm gonna go look into that now.

akutasame94

Post by akutasame94 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:04 am

I don't really know what you are talking about... On my ZTE Blade III as far as the speed goes it works great. Except for full 3D game Naruto I am able to play any game ... I have 1GHz processor and 512 Mb RAM... Pokemon games perfect, Mario, YuGiOh, Chrono Trigger and such... Then again if I deleted massive amount of games I have installed I'd probably boost up the performance more, as I would have about 240 RAM free over current 170 max even when I shut down processes

Queksilber

Post by Queksilber » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:37 am

Neptune wrote:My N7 has the Tegra 3 chip set clocked at 1.3 GHz with more available RAM than my i9300 and yet it has more issues running certain games on it that my i9300 doesn't, DraStic runs but it has some issues that is limited to it only, PPSSPP has major flickering issues which I can't explain and I think you get it.
My N7 (2012) doesn't have any problems with PPSSPP, no flickering or anything else, works flawless; SmoothROM 5.2 + Mkernel.a56