Why you should atleast attempt Wi-Fi Emulation

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
PRAGMA
Why you should atleast attempt Wi-Fi Emulation

Post by PRAGMA » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:38 am

Im not asking you to reverse engineer the actual stuff, im asking you to just get it so we can connect a Wifi Connection.
Since WiimFii now has the ability to work with original hardware WITHOUT modification in any way, allows really smooth playing.
This is thanks to nds-constraint bug

So perhaps a way to simply connect a wifi connection which allows us to edit dns, allows us to instantly play with others, no rom modifications e.t.c
just pop in DNS, off you go, perhaps you could even automate that.

Jay Haru

Re: Why you should atleast attempt Wi-Fi Emulation

Post by Jay Haru » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:04 am

PRAGMA wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:38 am
Im not asking you to reverse engineer the actual stuff, im asking you to just get it so we can connect a Wifi Connection.
Since WiimFii now has the ability to work with original hardware WITHOUT modification in any way, allows really smooth playing.
This is thanks to nds-constraint bug

So perhaps a way to simply connect a wifi connection which allows us to edit dns, allows us to instantly play with others, no rom modifications e.t.c
just pop in DNS, off you go, perhaps you could even automate that.
and yet you are basically asking to reverse engineer how nds does wifi.
Behold my mighty

ericbazinga

Re: Why you should atleast attempt Wi-Fi Emulation

Post by ericbazinga » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:29 pm

If I had a dollar for every time someone asked for Wifi...

(I'd have $18 :P)

In all seriousness, people have asked for Wifi and multiplayer so often that the question has basically lost merit here. We'll still explain why we haven't implemented it yet, though. Which I will do so now:

DS Wifi is proprietary and not a lot is known about it. Another DS emulator has figured out how to add multiplayer/Wifi to a degree, but DraStic can't just borrow their code since DraStic is a paid, closed-source emulator and charging money for someone else's work that you took without permission and/or compensation is plagiarism and is illegal. Exophase (The creator of DraStic) plans on open-sourcing the emulator in the future, which should lead to more features and improvements over a shorter time period, but until then you'll just have to wait.
Attachments
screenshot-drastic-ds.com-2018.11.07-11-27-21.png
screenshot-drastic-ds.com-2018.11.07-11-27-21.png (349.61KiB)Viewed 7060 times

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.