Forcing 60FPS (removing framecap)

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
Dreceo
Forcing 60FPS (removing framecap)

Post by Dreceo » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:46 pm

Hello everyone,

I have a question concerning the following:
i recently downloaded DraStic and i used it to emulate Pokemon White,
the game itself runs at 30fps, which isn't too bad, but i was wondering if it would be possible to force the game to run at 60fps?
Is this possible with DraStic? Or are things like this completely ROM-sided (and am i posting this question on a wrong board)?

Thanks in advance.

Exophase

Re: Forcing 60FPS (removing framecap)

Post by Exophase » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:11 pm

If a game runs at 30FPS instead of 60FPS, assuming it's not because of frameskip enabled in the emulator, it means that the game itself is coded to do so. And would thus require a ROM hack to overcome it. But it's not certain that the modified game would work reliably on either real hardware or emulators like DraStic,

kaikun97

Post by kaikun97 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:00 pm

Exophase wrote:If a game runs at 30FPS instead of 60FPS, assuming it's not because of frameskip enabled in the emulator, it means that the game itself is coded to do so. And would thus require a ROM hack to overcome it. But it's not certain that the modified game would work reliably on either real hardware or emulators like DraStic,
A 60fps hack for the NDS Pokemon games is possible however its near useless because the whole game also runs at twice the speed as a result.

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:04 pm

kaikun97 wrote:A 60fps hack for the NDS Pokemon games is possible however its near useless because the whole game also runs at twice the speed as a result.
You'd need a more elaborate hack to make this work properly. Who knows if it's really viable.

kaikun97

Post by kaikun97 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:18 pm

Exophase wrote:
kaikun97 wrote:A 60fps hack for the NDS Pokemon games is possible however its near useless because the whole game also runs at twice the speed as a result.
You'd need a more elaborate hack to make this work properly. Who knows if it's really viable.
The engine was likely coded to run at 30fps probably for performance issues. The game is perfectly playable at 30fps anyway I don't see the problem with that.

TkSilver

Post by TkSilver » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:40 am

I always found 60 fps discussions about non native 60 fps JRPGs to be odd. I guess for the timing parts of legend of dragoon or FF8's combat system having more frames might help a little. But static text at 30 frames looks the same as static text at 60000 frames and animation programed for 30 or 20 fps looks like it was designed to look.

Now give me a racing game or a 2d fighting game (probably 3d ones too) and I will be the first to want a locked 60.

huckleberrypie

Post by huckleberrypie » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:44 am

60fps is definitely a must for racing games; slower paced titles may not see that much of a benefit imo.

Steak_Typhoon

Post by Steak_Typhoon » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:07 pm

I see only 2 ways of achieving a hack like this, I hate the philosophy of both but I would still like to see them tried out:

Extrapolation
Calculate the velocity of every entity every "real" frame using bilinear interpolation of the previous 2 "real" frames and step those entities forward by 1/60s, then render a "hacked" frame.
This method would probably make entities skip around the environment depending on the engine, some entities wouldn't work if they are generated each frame instead of being moved around.

Interpolation
When a "real" frame is rendered, the emu would instead make a "virtual" frame and display it for 1/60s. It would create this frame by averaging the position of all entities from the current "real" frame and the previous "real" frame.
The emulator would always be 1/60s behind with this one, but it would eliminated skipping.

Both of these dirty hacks have a huge downfall though, neither of them account for shaders.

This whole talk reminds me of the Super Smash Bros. Melee players who want to play at 120fps, even though the animations were made for 60fps.
Steak Typhoon: The most delicious natural disaster.