Friendly Suggestion for succeeding in emulating wifi

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
Wolfseverest93
Friendly Suggestion for succeeding in emulating wifi

Post by Wolfseverest93 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:28 pm

Yes, it has been around 4 years since this app came out, and yes I read the FAQs, in fact I checked on them a few times over the years to see if there were any changes.

So, without further ado, I recommend talking with the devs over at Fast Emulator about a collaboration effort to somehow come up with a similar emulator for multiplayer as they have for the My Boy! GBA Emulator.

There's even mock servers for nintendo wfc for the ds currently out there ever since nintendo dropped wifi for the wii and the ds, and I'm sure the devs of at least some of those projects wouldn't mind helping you guys ditch the age old question of "when will DraStic get a wifi emulation" that even though hardly anyone has been asking (as far as I have seen) they have surely repeatedly asked themselves at least.

No, I'm not saying this is something that is going to be easy: I program something as simple as Discord bots and even that can be annoying and difficult as the 9 realms could ever make it (especially since I started doing all of them from scratch so I won't require dependencies). I'm just making a mellow suggestion for the devs here to think about over a cup of their morning beverages.

Have a good day and don't let the Matrix find out you escaped. Godspeed you glorious devs.
"I don't know everything, I just know what I know."
~ Tsubasa, Hanekawa (Bakemonogatari)

Jay Haru

Re: Friendly Suggestion for succeeding in emulating wifi

Post by Jay Haru » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:41 pm

I do hope you have read the other threads requesting the same thing as time and time again, it has been said that whatever trick to emulate multi on the GBA emulator will not work for DraStic.

Suggestion is fine but if you do not have anything new to put in aside from saying "let's get the devs put in their thinking caps as they are so lazy to meet our demands" then its not needed.

Having the servers there does not help at all as well as it was built for the original device in mind. the thing that would make multi work is if someone decides to decipher the nintendo-ish way wifi works for the ds and since its a low return thing with potentially high risk (read: POKETARDS), its not really priority.

P.S. I am not part of the dev team but I also understand the difficulties of being one. Not pushing them to do something they are not committed to just yet shows respect.
Behold my mighty

Wolfseverest93

Post by Wolfseverest93 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:33 am

Yeah, I figured it would be different than the gba methods, especially when you consider that the gba didn't actually have any of that built into it (you had to buy a separate wireless adapter to connect to wifi at all, or use a link cable or wireless adapter to connect to friends nearby, this made emulating that much easier since it was an "in between" tool they used to begin with) I wasn't suggesting them to talk to the gba emulator devs with the thought of it being easy even slightly in my mind, I just figured that given that they have at least some experience with emulating a link for an emulator, it would make it easier on the devs here to collab with them if it comes down to it.

And yeah, I saw like 3 posts asking for wifi/link emulations, but as of yet haven't seen any of them suggesting a collab with other dev teams. Thus leading to my posting of this thread. If needed, I can easily hunt down (wow that could be taken wrong) the devs of the Hamachi Nintendo WFC emulated server and chat with them to see if they have any insight they could share. Or maybe, if I have enough after bills, I can get drunk and tinker with my old dslite some to see what I can come up with. Don't ask me why it has to involve alcohol.

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:51 am

the thing is even if exo and lordus talks to other devs (they most certainly had been i.e. no$), The fact that how the hardware reacts is not completely understood. I had talked to lordus about how what he is doing and its pretty much what exo stated on one of those threads. I wont quote it but basically he says that as it is not that much integral in most games, as well as having 'latency issues', he isnt much invested on it.

People only want it because pokemon and thats it. theres a few games that use the wifi of the ds and even less so when the servers died. now I am unsure if those fake servers can actually help with games other than pokemon but if not then the need for it just got smaller as experience-wise, it would not have that much effect on any other game.

About your offer about tinkering with your ds, I am not gonna comment on it seeing as my engineering is not at an advanced level.

In any case, exo may respond and might provide a better explanation than a tester so yeah.
Behold my mighty

Wolfseverest93

Post by Wolfseverest93 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:01 pm

Ah, well, I don't need it for pokemon. I could easily just flash cart those to the real games, and then transfer up to the current generations of games (I've done it several times now, I don't know how it still gets through pokebank without issue though). I'm more interested in the final fantasy games that have multiplayer, or even rune factory's itsy bitsy features that have to do with game linking. As far as I know, Hamachi was the first server that wasn't made solely with pokemon in mind, it focused more on the other games than it did for pokemon.

But yeah, I know there's a ton of latency in the ds communications (don't take me too seriously here but i think nintendo did that on purpose...)

I do get your point though, a lot of people do want it for pokemon. But a bunch of us just couldn't be bothered to care whether or not pokemon had multiplayer, as our sole plan is to transfer up to the current gens anyway.

beansta

Post by beansta » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:17 pm

the main problem is that (aside from some random build of Desmume which somehow gained access) DS wifi protocols are fairly undocumented. No$gba has quite a bit of underlying documantation on it however even then its unsupported. I myself am waiting on some form of wireless multiplayer, even if its done like the PSP in its last years , or similar to how a certain plugin for N64 emulators does it, by using a hosting service like hamachi for generating a public IP and an open port so anyone can host a game.
Devices running Android:

- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (CM12.1, overclocked, undervolted)
- Asus Nexus 7 2013 (Stock Marshmallow...to play Pokemon GO on...)
- Tenfifteen QW09 SmartWatch (Kitkat)
- Fujitsu Lifebook T4410 Touchscreen Laptop (Remix OS 3.0)

Wolfseverest93

Post by Wolfseverest93 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:37 pm

So I have heard. Also, you can add the Galaxy Grand Prime to your signature (running 5.0.2 Kitkat) if ya want. xD I should also note that as far as the 50+ games I have played on it through DraStic, it appears the app is highly likely to run all games smooth as the real deal on this phone. Probably something to do with it having a quad core cpu.

But yeah, if I get drunk enough one of these days I'll tinker around and make note of any findings that No$ crew hasn't come across yet. It's more a matter of having enough time home alone to get around to it. Working construction with a hobby in making music and programming and playing video games doesn't give me too much free time.

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:14 am

Wolfseverest93 wrote:So I have heard. Also, you can add the Galaxy Grand Prime to your signature (running 5.0.2 Kitkat) if ya want.
I'm pretty sure that's a list of devices he owns, not a compatibility list.
(Jeez, if that was the compatibility list, it'd be pathetic. 4 devices?! XD)

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

beansta

Post by beansta » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:26 am

ericbazinga wrote:
Wolfseverest93 wrote:So I have heard. Also, you can add the Galaxy Grand Prime to your signature (running 5.0.2 Kitkat) if ya want.
I'm pretty sure that's a list of devices he owns, not a compatibility list.
(Jeez, if that was the compatibility list, it'd be pathetic. 4 devices?! XD)
also, would u really want to run a DS emulator on a watch? lol

and fyi, yes it works on my watch too.
Devices running Android:

- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (CM12.1, overclocked, undervolted)
- Asus Nexus 7 2013 (Stock Marshmallow...to play Pokemon GO on...)
- Tenfifteen QW09 SmartWatch (Kitkat)
- Fujitsu Lifebook T4410 Touchscreen Laptop (Remix OS 3.0)

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:41 am

beansta wrote:
also, would u really want to run a DS emulator on a watch?
well, you strike me as one who is M enough to try and you proved it :D

course, you also earn some internets.
Behold my mighty