Higher resolution rendering

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
Q8-V08
Re: Higher resolution rendering

Post by Q8-V08 » Thu May 07, 2015 2:10 pm

Is the screen filter disabled when the high resolution 3d rendering is on?
I use the Linear filter which filter 2d backgrounds but when the high resolution 3d is on it has little to no effect.
The text on title screen Super Mario DS
VS, Adventure, Rec Room
etc for instance appears pixelated.

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Thu May 07, 2015 3:08 pm

Q8-V08 wrote:Is the screen filter disabled when the high resolution 3d rendering is on?
I use the Linear filter which filter 2d backgrounds but when the high resolution 3d is on it has little to no effect.
The text on title screen Super Mario DS
VS, Adventure, Rec Room
etc for instance appears pixelated.
It's not disabled, it's just less noticeable because the pixel density is higher and the 2D graphics are internally quadrupled when composited with the 3D graphics.

It would be possible to use a different filter kernel to try to compensate for this, but it'd over-blur the hires 3D graphics, and the shader wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two. The spirit of the linear filter is more to decrease visible artifacts when scaling by a non-integer ratio, not blur the screen.

zergslayer69

Post by zergslayer69 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:46 pm

Well, finally joined the high res rendering crowd. On the note 4 I can check the box and have hq2x on with no slow down in mario kart. If anyone wanted to know. Kind of wish I could up the res a little more. Is there some file I can edit to do that?

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:28 am

zergslayer69 wrote:Kind of wish I could up the res a little more. Is there some file I can edit to do that?
Afraid not... the 2x2 part of it is pretty baked into the design. It could sort of be generalized to other resolutions, but it'd take a fair amount of work.

At the very least, any potential options would have to be integer multiples. 3x3 would be a good twice as demanding. I don't know if any current Android hardware would really run it that well. There's 3x2 I guess, not sure if people want to go with non-square pixels here...

kaikun97

Post by kaikun97 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:30 am

Exophase wrote:
zergslayer69 wrote:Kind of wish I could up the res a little more. Is there some file I can edit to do that?
Afraid not... the 2x2 part of it is pretty baked into the design. It could sort of be generalized to other resolutions, but it'd take a fair amount of work.

At the very least, any potential options would have to be integer multiples. 3x3 would be a good twice as demanding. I don't know if any current Android hardware would really run it that well. There's 3x2 I guess, not sure if people want to go with non-square pixels here...
If you play in Portrait on a 540x960 screen like mine the 3D looks full HD lol

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:35 am

kaikun97 wrote:If you play in Portrait on a 540x960 screen like mine the 3D looks full HD lol
3x2 enhancement would be 768x384 pixels with the 3D screen. 768x768 pixels if both screens are using 3D.

You'd have to upscale with a non-integer ratio to maintain the right aspect ratio, although I assume a lot of people already use non-integer scaling.

zergslayer69

Post by zergslayer69 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:35 pm

It'll be super niche, but if that shield portable 2 ever comes out with the Tegra X1, I imagine that little bad boy/girl would be able to do 3x3 rendering. If the current shield tv can do it, that will be able to.

TkSilver

Post by TkSilver » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:26 pm

zergslayer69 wrote:It'll be super niche, but if that shield portable 2 ever comes out with the Tegra X1, I imagine that little bad boy/girl would be able to do 3x3 rendering. If the current shield tv can do it, that will be able to.
You seem to be under a slight misconception somewhere.
1. The Tegra X1 has a much much better graphics processor then the K1 different architecture beimg the prime reason, bit also being in a better form factor then a tablet helps the nvidia shield tv, bit the processor besides being 64bit in not a big improvement over the k1.

2. DraStic and DraStic in hifh rez don't use gpu except for filters, so you could write a monster filter and it would run better on a tegra k1 then say my exynos 5420 (mali gpu's are not good especially compared to tegra), but it would not impact core performance. The jump to a big.little would help the x1 over the k1 more bit even with HMP (heterogeneous multi processing) the most impact you could hope to achieve is that drastic would run on the faster a57 cores while the system background processes would run on the slower a53 cores. Although seeing that DraStic does not seem to get a performance boost from using a 4th core (it is disabled by default amd needs beta to try using), I don't think even the change from 4+1 to big.little would really help.

All that being said I am always a fan of pushing hardware to the limits so I have no issue with a 3x3 option. I just think that exo probably knows best about no current android hardware really being capable of decent performance with it on. Now if drastic was optimized for wimdows or linux and running on a core i7 desktop, well 3x3 could possibably go even higher.

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:46 pm

EDIT: Didn't get that the discussion was about the original 32-bit Tegra K1 with quad-A15s. Reply was about X1 vs 64-bit K1.

The bigger jump with X1 over K1 is that the former is quad core (plus four little cores but nVidia's design only allows full cluster switching) while the latter is only dual core, and DraStic benefits somewhat from more cores. But K1's Denver cores were also quite potent in a lot of applications, including emulators, so who knows. It'd be interesting to get some benchmarking data one day.

A AArch64 version of DraStic could be slightly faster too, but it'd be a ton of work.

TkSilver

Post by TkSilver » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:27 am

Exophase wrote:EDIT: Didn't get that the discussion was about the original 32-bit Tegra K1 with quad-A15s. Reply was about X1 vs 64-bit K1.

The bigger jump with X1 over K1 is that the former is quad core (plus four little cores but nVidia's design only allows full cluster switching) while the latter is only dual core, and DraStic benefits somewhat from more cores. But K1's Denver cores were also quite potent in a lot of applications, including emulators, so who knows. It'd be interesting to get some benchmarking data one day.

A AArch64 version of DraStic could be slightly faster too, but it'd be a ton of work.
Sorry my fault I should have used the T124 designation to make it more clear. I did not realize that Nvidia went Samsung's path and decided tomonly allow full cluster switching instead of HMP, but full details of the X1 are a little annoying to find.