Jrpg recommendations anyone?

Post whatever!
acid
Jrpg recommendations anyone?

Post by acid » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:08 pm

So I've been playing a lot of jrpgs lately and just finished Dragon quest 4 on drastic and dragon quest 8 mobile before that. Still have to play the other 3 ds games but I wanted to play something different before diving into those. So my question is, any must play jrpgs (or wrpgs really) that you guys recommend? Thanks

Lordus

Re: Jrpg recommendations anyone?

Post by Lordus » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:06 pm

I wouldn't say it's 'must play', but i really enjoyed Nostalgia.

Fefo

Post by Fefo » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:59 am

Dragon Quest IX is great, I wasted tons of hours there and barely scratched the surface. Some suggestions of what I played:

- Pokémon, because duh;
- Zelda, unloved but still excellent games;
- Etrian Odyssey, an old school dungeon crawler, with lots of exploring and no joke encounters;
- Fighting Fantasy Warlock of Firetop Mountain, a very old school D&D style game;
- Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, an action RPG great for co-op;
- Final Fantasy 4, a classic remix which improved everything;
- Front Mission, strategy robot war;
- Kingdom Hearts, kinda clunky compared to a console release, but still enjoyable;
- Mario & Luigi, kinda unique RPGs with lots of action mixed in (don't forget the first on GBA);
- Okamiden, an enjoyable portable Okami;
- Phantasy Star 0, I love this game;
- Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey, like Etrian Odyssey but with demons and great plot;
- Soma Bringer, a translated japanese game with great gameplay;
- Super Robot Wars Endless Frontier, enjoyable gameplay with hilarious conversations;
- Suikoden Tierkreis, DS Suikoden with a very annoying protagonist;
- Tales of Innocence, another translated japanese game with classic Tales action gameplay;

And last, but FAR from least:

- The World Ends With You, a must. Easily between the best games DS has to offer, with excellent gameplay, nice soundtrack, great plot and lots of content.

There should be at least 3 games here that might please you, and that's a lot of time to spend on these.
BE ATTITUDE FOR ENGRISH

acid

Post by acid » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:26 am

Awesome.

@Lordus
Played a bit of Nostalgia just to try it out and I really liked everything about it. Reminds me of Skies of Arcadia :) Thanks for the awesome recommendation.

@Fefo Awesome list. Thanks! :D I've already played some of those, but I'll try out the others. I really liked SMT: Strange Journey, for instance and I've already played like 60 hours of it. It's starting to take a toll though, tbqh. The dungeons now seem to have a lot of annoying traps, so I gave it some time and played DQ8 and DQ4 in the meantime before going back. I hope I can muster the patience to finally finish it one of these days.

Fefo

Post by Fefo » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:16 am

Yeah, dungeon crawlers have some "perks". This also exists on Etrian Odyssey, but some classes reduce or remove these in expense of fighting prowess. Don't worry, you'll finish it if you want (I didn't :P).
BE ATTITUDE FOR ENGRISH

zelda's ocarina

Post by zelda's ocarina » Tue May 12, 2015 7:46 am

Fefo wrote:Dragon Quest IX is great, I wasted tons of hours there and barely scratched the surface. Some suggestions of what I played:

- Pokémon, because duh;
- Zelda, unloved but still excellent games;
- Etrian Odyssey, an old school dungeon crawler, with lots of exploring and no joke encounters;
- Fighting Fantasy Warlock of Firetop Mountain, a very old school D&D style game;
- Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, an action RPG great for co-op;
- Final Fantasy 4, a classic remix which improved everything;
- Front Mission, strategy robot war;
- Kingdom Hearts, kinda clunky compared to a console release, but still enjoyable;
- Mario & Luigi, kinda unique RPGs with lots of action mixed in (don't forget the first on GBA);
- Okamiden, an enjoyable portable Okami;
- Phantasy Star 0, I love this game;
- Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey, like Etrian Odyssey but with demons and great plot;
- Soma Bringer, a translated japanese game with great gameplay;
- Super Robot Wars Endless Frontier, enjoyable gameplay with hilarious conversations;
- Suikoden Tierkreis, DS Suikoden with a very annoying protagonist;
- Tales of Innocence, another translated japanese game with classic Tales action gameplay;

And last, but FAR from least:

- The World Ends With You, a must. Easily between the best games DS has to offer, with excellent gameplay, nice soundtrack, great plot and lots of content.

There should be at least 3 games here that might please you, and that's a lot of time to spend on these.
You forgot Tactics A2. Better than World Ends With You. And World Ends With You has an official android app. Y not just download that one?

reeve

Post by reeve » Tue May 12, 2015 9:05 pm

zelda's ocarina wrote: You forgot Tactics A2. Better than World Ends With You. And World Ends With You has an official android app. Y not just download that one?
Square-enix has a terrible reputation in maintaining their mobile games. Look at the reviews the Android version of The World Ends With You, it seems that it doesn't work on Android 5.0+. Considering that you can't even buy the iOS version of the game anymore (they removed it from the store due to incompatibilities with the newer iOS versions) I wouldn't waste money buying that version.

slamandar

Post by slamandar » Wed May 13, 2015 5:42 pm

Golden Sun Dark Dawn

Still a good game :)
Sorry if my English is bad, I'm French !

Sean

Post by Sean » Wed May 13, 2015 11:07 pm

I'm moving this thread to Off the Wall; it's not really about DraStic, just DS games.

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:37 pm

Why in blazes is Harvest Moon not in this list? DO YOU WANT ME TO BAN YOU LOT! >:D

you can also add inazuma 11 on the list
Behold my mighty