Intel Atom Compatibility/Speed

Ask questions about DraStic or discuss compatibility issues here.
Queksilber
Intel Atom Compatibility/Speed

Post by Queksilber » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:28 pm

Hi guys, long time no see.
I am planning on buying a new 7-8'' tablet cause my old N7 (2012) is slowly dying now.
So i came across the ASUS MeMO Pad which looks really nice (both the 7'' ME572C and the 8'' ME581C) but unfortunately it uses an Intel Atom Z3560.
On version 2.2.0.0a x86 support was added so i guess the emu will run on the new tablet.

My question: how fast will it be? How much performance-decrease do you guys expect from ARM NEON -> x86?

Exophase

Re: Intel Atom Compatibility/Speed

Post by Exophase » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:19 pm

From what Lordus has told me in his tests, you can get pretty good speed in a lot of games with a dual core Saltwell SoC (like those found in Medfield and Clovertrail/CT+). Having more than one core helps a lot for rendering performance. Since Z3560 has much faster cores than Saltwell (Baytrail) and has four of them you should be able to get pretty good speed. This is assuming that the native x86 code is actually used - there was a flaw in some Android versions that caused the ARM code to be emulated even though x86 native code was there, and the performance was terrible. But it should work now, at least in the beta.

Like you say, you do lose some efficiency vs the ARM version. Part of it is because of a lack of hand-coded NEON routines - which is not quite as bad as having no SIMD because bad because the compiler does auto-vectorize a lot of the functions to use SSE4.x. The other part is that the recompiler is not as optimized.

Queksilber

Re: Intel Atom Compatibility/Speed

Post by Queksilber » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:04 am

Thanks for the reply :)