Internal clock isn't working anymore

Ask questions about DraStic or discuss compatibility issues here.
blablabla
Internal clock isn't working anymore

Post by blablabla » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:43 pm

Hi all,

suddently the internal clock doesn't work anymore. I've noticed this issue playing The World Ends With you. The game starts always at 12.00 AM with the default date so, for example, i can't gain points when i don't play the game (if you don't play this game for a while and then you load the save, you get some kind of points).

I can't understand what it could be, the version is always the same (i've tried even a newer one) and i didn't do anything ... it just happened.

Exophase

Re: Internal clock isn't working anymore

Post by Exophase » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:45 pm

Have you updated to version 2.1.6.2a?

blablabla

Post by blablabla » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:04 pm

Exophase wrote:Have you updated to version 2.1.6.2a?
Yes but it doesn't change anything :( And i did nothing wrong in the meanwhile except installing a messenger program called "kik messenger" (and i've tried to uninstall it but the issue still remains).

It's like the emulator can't get the internal date/time to work anymore. In any game.

Lordus

Post by Lordus » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:08 pm

And exactly that problem was fixed in 2.1.6.2a. Could you please confirm the version number in the lower right hand corner of the start screen?

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:12 pm

Yes, please check the way Lordus asked. We've had at least a few people say they updated only to find out they didn't really. A few people even confirmed it reported 2.1.6.2a in the menu, only to later change their story to it being 2.1.6.1a, so please look carefully :P

blablabla

Post by blablabla » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:18 pm

Exophase wrote:Yes, please check the way Lordus asked. We've had at least a few people say they updated only to find out they didn't really. A few people even confirmed it reported 2.1.6.2a in the menu, only to later change their story to it being 2.1.6.1a, so please look carefully :P
Yeah, you're right, i'm using 2.1.6.1a. I'll upgrade to see if it will fix the issue.

Question is, why is happening right now? It was my fault? I've managed to complete TWEWY without any problem...

And i did it using drastic 2.0.something

Lordus

Post by Lordus » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:33 pm

There was a bug affecting all versions before 2.1.6.2a, that would only manifest when the device's date is October.

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:57 pm

blablabla wrote:Yeah, you're right, i'm using 2.1.6.1a. I'll upgrade to see if it will fix the issue.

Question is, why is happening right now? It was my fault? I've managed to complete TWEWY without any problem...

And i did it using drastic 2.0.something
First DraStic version was 2.1.0a, for what it's worth.

To expand a little on what Lordus said: as you can tell a DS keeps the time. There's a certain format in which the time is presented to the game. The emulator code had an error which caused the way the month is reported to be wrong, but only for the month of October. If you set your phone's time to a different month or waited for it be November you wouldn't see the problem, and that's why it suddenly manifested even when it was working fine earlier. For most games it'll just mean part or all of the date is displayed wrong because it doesn't know how to deal with the invalid month code. Somehow Pokemon games manage to freeze and crash outright thanks to the bug, and since Pokemon is played so much more than any other game that's the thing that usually gets reported. What really sucks is that if there's a bug in an old version and you make a savestate you could end up with a savestate which is tainted by the bug, and since this one manifested after working fine some people got hit with it. The best advice I can give to reduce risk from things like this is to regularly make in-game saves and not just rely on savestates.

The mistake was very obvious but also easy to miss and very simple to fix, I found the problem within minutes of being informed of it, and we released the update while it was still September 30 for most people. Unfortunately some people don't notice the update or don't want to update, so we end up having to tell a lot of people to. Probably some people think we did it on purpose to get people to buy it (I guess worrying their games will randomly stop working and they could be stuck waiting at least hours longer for a new crack) or to sabotage recently released devices that loaded an old cracked version, like JXD S7800. But it's really just a coincidence.