Question about Pokemon ROM's and save states

Ask questions about DraStic or discuss compatibility issues here.
Shuriken
Question about Pokemon ROM's and save states

Post by Shuriken » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:40 pm

I was doing some research about Pokemon ROM's the other day and I heard that there are some bugs where the game file will get corrupted after beating the elite four. This led me to fear that after putting so much time into the game, my file would just be corrupted. Is this just because the user used save states instead of the in game saves? If so, does this mean that if I purely use the in game save system, games like soul silver, black, and other games would work ~100% all the way to the end? This is just sort of an ODC question because I'm kinda a completionist and if I start the game, I want to make sure it works the whole way through. If you have any answers or personal experiences that would be helpful, that would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks for your time!

-Shuriken

Btw, great job on the emulator devs! It amazes me how far ahead of all of the other DS emulators it is. Keep up the great work! ♥

Exophase

Re: Question about Pokemon ROM's and save states

Post by Exophase » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:50 pm

This thread explains more of it:

http://www.drastic-ds.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=818

You are correct that it never should have happened if savestates weren't used. But in the latest version it shouldn't happen regardless.

beeflot

Post by beeflot » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:01 am

AFAIK, you can fix the save even it is broken. :mrgreen:

METHOD1:
saving savestates→starting a new game→ making a new in-game save→loading your savestates →in-game save

METHOD2:

fixing it by the cheating tool Pokegen. Using Pokegen to load your in-game save and fix it.

Shuriken

Post by Shuriken » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:32 am

So are save states usually thought to be less consistent/reliable than in game saves? In general, which of the two do you recommend more?

beeflot

Post by beeflot » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:38 am

Shuriken wrote:So are save states usually thought to be less consistent/reliable than in game saves? In general, which of the two do you recommend more?
in-game save is always the best,no matter what emulator you want to use.
I recommend the first one more ,of course.You can do that on your phone , PC is bot needed.

If the first one don't work, try the second oneon your pc.

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:58 am

Usually, in-game save files are the most reliable. Pokemon Black/White 1/2 was an unusual case where they were getting corrupted if used in conjunction with save states - in this case the save states were more reliable, but you needed the in-game saves for end-game stuff.