System App?

Ask questions about DraStic or discuss compatibility issues here.
HugMeTender
System App?

Post by HugMeTender » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:27 am

So I was thinking about moving DraStic into my ROM as a system app. Before I moved it, I got a little warning that the app might not run optimally. Do I need to worry about a performance reduction? I really want to avoid doing anything that might require another factory reset. I've already done 5 this month and I have no desire to do another :lol:
Image Hell yeah, Dragonite XD

Systems Owned
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 running SlimBean 4.3 Build 1
LG DoublePlay with root access running stock
PSP Slim running 5.00 M33-6
ASUS G73SW-A1 Laptop

Howdareme

Re: System App?

Post by Howdareme » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:12 pm

Bullshit, it'll run just fine :) Don't worry about performance reduction or it not working and if it doesn't work out ok, you could always undo your changes.

Leaf

Post by Leaf » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:18 pm

That's because some apps break when they're moved into system memory, which is similar to forcing an app to the sdcard, compatibility-wise. But as far as I know, a factory reset would only be necessary if you actually broke an important system app by messing around with these user<>system convertions, filling the system memory would probably not screw your phone up except if you maybe filled it up fully and then restarted your phone and it would be unable to start up due to being unable to do caching or something. I moved several apps onto the system memory on my phone due to it having too little space for user apps and a lot of spare space for system ones.

I also would recommend you using Titanium Backup, because it has more compatibility, you can backup the app before moving, if the app updates you can merge the update to the one moved to the system (at least on my phone, when system apps are updated, they take both system and user space), and you can move the dalvik cache from new-moved system apps to the system space as well.
woof woof

Howdareme

Post by Howdareme » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:37 pm

To prove my point, I just did it on another phone(Just in case lol) worked fine so good luck, ;)