What is a BIOS File?! Help I'm a Noob!

Ask questions about DraStic or discuss compatibility issues here.
7Ash7
What is a BIOS File?! Help I'm a Noob!

Post by 7Ash7 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:56 pm

Ok so I need somebody to explain somethings to me!

I'm getting DraStic on my S4 soon and all I hear is BIOS here and BIOS there! What is BIOS and why do I need it to play ROM games on DraStic? I already have a Gameboy Emulator and the only thing I do on that is to download ROMs on the Internet and then I'm good to go!

Then I saw that the need update for DraStic doesn't need BIOS. Does this mean that I could just download ROM and play the game right away?! :?

Jay Haru

Re: What is a BIOS File?! Help I'm a Noob!

Post by Jay Haru » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:05 pm

I dont know exactly what bios does but unless it is added (even a gba emulator uses bios, fromthe gba or otherwise), the emulator itself would not work. as of 2.1.1a you dont really need to find original nds bios unless yu want to lay cooking mama series and others with encrypted roms.

on other matters, if you like the game enough,please support them by buying the games.
Behold my mighty

beansta

Post by beansta » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:38 pm

a BIOS (or basic input-output system) basically houses sets of instructions to communicate with a microprocessor and any storage/software it may want to execute code on. at least that's my guess anyway. I could be wrong though
Devices running Android:

- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (CM12.1, overclocked, undervolted)
- Asus Nexus 7 2013 (Stock Marshmallow...to play Pokemon GO on...)
- Tenfifteen QW09 SmartWatch (Kitkat)
- Fujitsu Lifebook T4410 Touchscreen Laptop (Remix OS 3.0)

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:07 pm

Cooking Mama 2 shouldn't need the Nintendo BIOS next version (there was a bug in ours that I corrected). Not yet sure about the other two.

7Ash7

Post by 7Ash7 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:59 am

So basically I'm just going to play all the Pokémon games for DS on my phone. Will these work without BIOS?

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:31 am

7Ash7 wrote:So basically I'm just going to play all the Pokémon games for DS on my phone. Will these work without BIOS?
no it will not work without bios but as of ver. 2.1.1, the drastic (not nds) bios are already included with installation. basically,yes you can play pokemon and not worry about bios but be reminded that pokemon requires about a good dual core cortex a9 phones to run well. playing on slower devices may be slow. there may also be emulation glitches we still have not found on pokemon.
Behold my mighty

7Ash7

Post by 7Ash7 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:40 pm

Jay Haru wrote:
7Ash7 wrote:So basically I'm just going to play all the Pokémon games for DS on my phone. Will these work without BIOS?
no it will not work without bios but as of ver. 2.1.1, the drastic (not nds) bios are already included with installation. basically,yes you can play pokemon and not worry about bios but be reminded that pokemon requires about a good dual core cortex a9 phones to run well. playing on slower devices may be slow. there may also be emulation glitches we still have not found on pokemon.
Well I have a S4 so I don't think that running this app will be a problem! Anyway, if I buy the app will I get upcoming updates for free for ever?

Lordus

Post by Lordus » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:54 pm

Yes, if you buy it, any future updates will be available for free.