Pokemon save corruption issues (work-around in thread)

Ask questions about DraStic or discuss compatibility issues here.
Beexcat
Re: Pokemon save corruption issues (work-around in thread)

Post by Beexcat » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:38 am

I noticed everyone's issues seem to involve save states. If I never make a save state and only use the in game save will I still encounter issues after defeating the elite four? I am only on my 4th badge and would like to do whatever I can to avoid problems when I get there. I am playing Soul Silver.

Oh and I purchased my emulator and can provide proof if necessary.

TkSilver

Post by TkSilver » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:39 pm

You can make savestates just don't rely on them as your only or your major form of saving. Also when you get towards the end when you hit the final point you coukd normally save do not use save states after that point. This should probably avoid 90% of the issues, the rest lije with any emulator is kinda up to luck that something weird or unforeseen doesn't happen.

Kyousuke753

Post by Kyousuke753 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:40 pm

I believe the issues are with the savestates...so in-game save should be fine.

I mostly rely on savestates rather then in-game save to save time and quickly load back straight into the game.

I recommend you create a savestate and upload it to Google Drive, but you must create a folder named Drastic on Google Drive 1st then upload the saves as a backup.

I've had zero issues with savestates it's my fault for not making a backup, but however they are working solidly and as intended. I don't even bother to upload my saves to Google Drive cuz ya know CBF.

Ahem there was an issue with uploading savestates to Google Drive but the latest update r2.5.0.0a has fixed the issue.

Cheats can also break your save. So yeah :D

Beexcat

Post by Beexcat » Mon May 02, 2016 6:36 pm

Kyousuke753 wrote:I believe the issues are with the savestates...so in-game save should be fine.

Yep. I just beat the elite 4/champion with nothing but in game saves and after the credits when it restarted I continued in my room with my Pokemon.

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Mon May 02, 2016 9:52 pm

Beexcat wrote:
Kyousuke753 wrote:I believe the issues are with the savestates...so in-game save should be fine.

Yep. I just beat the elite 4/champion with nothing but in game saves and after the credits when it restarted I continued in my room with my Pokemon.
Cool. Congrats!
BTW I approve of your Poliwrath avatar :-P

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

youngster2016

Post by youngster2016 » Fri May 13, 2016 1:11 am

EDIT: FIXED IT. I'm not sure exactly what fixed it, but while doing the same old stuff and changing a few things, I finally got it to work.

1) In Settings > Advanced, I unchecked "Store in-game Saves in Savestates".
2) In Settings > System, I checked "Always use System Time for RTC". Previously I had "Enable Custom Clock", but this seems bad. By checking the former, the in-game time now reflects real-life time whereas before it was always stuck at the time of the last savestate (annoying because I was stuck at night in winter).

Now for the important part.

3) On the desired savestate, I made another copy of this savestate in another slot.
4) I then soft reset (using Drastic's "Reset Game") on the original savestate. (not on the copy I just made on another slot.)
5) After going through the title screen, instead of seeing the usual "The save file was corrupted/damaged etc" message, I simply saw a blank in-game save file and the button for "New Game"!
6) I started a new game and made an in-game save as soon as possible (while in the room with Cheren and Bianca).
6.5) I checked that this in-game save file works by resetting and reloading it.
7) Inside this working in-game save, I loaded the desired savestate and then saved in-game.
8) Upon resetting and entering the file select, there it was: an in-game save of my desired savestate!

Honestly, I'm not sure if step 3 is even necessary, but it was the most recent thing I did before getting it to work, and I want to put down exactly what I did.

Anyway, I hope this helps for any future Googlers.

===
Original Post:

Hello guys. I've tried everything here and nothing works. This is my current situation:

I have a save state in Pokemon Black. Inside this save state, there is an in-game save.

Deleting the in-game save is seemingly pointless. Think about it: every time I load the save state, the in-game save is there. If I understand correctly, I need a copy of my current save state except without any in-game save file whatsoever.

For further clarification, here's the problem when I follow one of you guys solutions step-by-step:

erase non working dsv
Okay.
make a new game
Okay.
make an ingame save as soon as you could(check if it is a good save by loading it)
Okay.
load state you want
Problem: the state I'm loading has an in-game save file (the corrupt one). What's the point?
make an ingame save
What does this accomplish?

Sorry for making yet another non-solution post in this thread, but I really want this to work.

hassan88

Post by hassan88 » Mon May 16, 2016 11:58 pm

youngster2016 wrote:EDIT: FIXED IT. I'm not sure exactly what fixed it, but while doing the same old stuff and changing a few things, I finally got it to work.

1) In Settings > Advanced, I unchecked "Store in-game Saves in Savestates".
2) In Settings > System, I checked "Always use System Time for RTC". Previously I had "Enable Custom Clock", but this seems bad. By checking the former, the in-game time now reflects real-life time whereas before it was always stuck at the time of the last savestate (annoying because I was stuck at night in winter).

Now for the important part.

3) On the desired savestate, I made another copy of this savestate in another slot.
4) I then soft reset (using Drastic's "Reset Game") on the original savestate. (not on the copy I just made on another slot.)
5) After going through the title screen, instead of seeing the usual "The save file was corrupted/damaged etc" message, I simply saw a blank in-game save file and the button for "New Game"!
6) I started a new game and made an in-game save as soon as possible (while in the room with Cheren and Bianca).
6.5) I checked that this in-game save file works by resetting and reloading it.
7) Inside this working in-game save, I loaded the desired savestate and then saved in-game.
8) Upon resetting and entering the file select, there it was: an in-game save of my desired savestate!

Honestly, I'm not sure if step 3 is even necessary, but it was the most recent thing I did before getting it to work, and I want to put down exactly what I did.

Anyway, I hope this helps for any future Googlers.

===
Original Post:

Hello guys. I've tried everything here and nothing works. This is my current situation:

I have a save state in Pokemon Black. Inside this save state, there is an in-game save.

Deleting the in-game save is seemingly pointless. Think about it: every time I load the save state, the in-game save is there. If I understand correctly, I need a copy of my current save state except without any in-game save file whatsoever.

For further clarification, here's the problem when I follow one of you guys solutions step-by-step:

erase non working dsv
Okay.
make a new game
Okay.
make an ingame save as soon as you could(check if it is a good save by loading it)
Okay.
load state you want
Problem: the state I'm loading has an in-game save file (the corrupt one). What's the point?
make an ingame save
What does this accomplish?

Sorry for making yet another non-solution post in this thread, but I really want this to work.

still having the same issue , any help please ?

hassan88

Post by hassan88 » Tue May 17, 2016 12:23 am

Jay Haru wrote:
Flaw wrote:Hello Jay Haru,

Unfortunately, I tried again and the result was the same: it seemed nothing had changed.

I'll put my steps here, just to see if I'm not doing anything wrong and, maybe, try an alternate solution.

1- Uncheck the box "Store in-game saves in savestates".
2- Quit DraStic for the change to take place.
3- Open and older savestate and make a new savestate (on a new slot) - I did this on a savestate before entering E4.
4- Soft Reset and delete previous data (Up+Select+B).
5- Start a new game.
6- On the new game, make a in-game save (I did it right after talking to my mom).
7- Soft Reset again.
8- Load the new game (the in-game save worked).
9- Load the savestate that I have done on step 3 (which as supposed to have no in-game savestate on it).
10- Make an in-game save. Problem again.. There is still an error message: "There is already a saved game file. It is impossible to save".

Is there any other way or am I just ruined? Because I am not having any problem with a corrupted file, just that my savestate is detecting another in-game save..

Please, try solving this problem for me, I'll try my best to make it work.

Thank you again
maybe you can up your state and we can try doing it for you. please use somethinglike dropbox for easy retrieval.
hi JaY Haru...

i'm having the exact same issue>>>

can you please help me ?

Kyousuke753

Post by Kyousuke753 » Tue May 17, 2016 1:09 am

Savestates isn't obviously for everyone, take me for example a quick play and go person, you can already guess I don't rely on in-game saves but Savestates to save time and get straight back into the game and cut those seconds off.

guess what never once have I had issues with savestates, I don't even bother to upload to Google drive or back it up to PC/Laptop. Savestates has never once failed me even in my Pokemon WHT 2 game.

Kyousuke753

Post by Kyousuke753 » Tue May 17, 2016 9:22 am

All these Pokemon in-game save threads...