SuperNDS to DraStic

Ask questions about DraStic or discuss compatibility issues here.
Rrrrowsdower
SuperNDS to DraStic

Post by Rrrrowsdower » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:50 pm

So i just paid for DraStic today on Android, bu for the last month I have been playing Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia on SuperNDS. I grew tired of the ads and the audio lag and bought DraStic.

I did some research and I understand that the save states from SuperNDS wont work on DraStic since they were created with a different BIOS, and that makes sense.

However i thought the in-game saves would still carry over, but when i load these same rom files in Drastic there is no in-gave saves. I have copied all dsv files from the battery folder of supernds and placed them into the drastic backup folder and also ensured the dsv's have the same name as the nds rom files.

Ive been trying to find a way to make at least one of my saves work on DraStic but i wasnt certain if this was even possible. Or if I am missing something.

SSUPII

Re: SuperNDS to DraStic

Post by SSUPII » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:44 am

This happens for your your games?
TETRIS FRIENDS IS DEAD
Spoiler!
Here is a good boy!
ImageImage
Spoiler!
Another good boy!ImageImage

Rrrrowsdower

Post by Rrrrowsdower » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:52 am

SSUPII wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:44 am
This happens for your your games?
Well i can play in DraStic and save with no issue, and it performs so much better.

My issue is continuing off of a save i played on SuperNDS. Do i simply need to cut out the bios portion of the file and replace it with a bios from a DraStic save via a hex editor?

I am no stranger to coding but never done anything with rom editing.

Main reason i bought Drastic is because every other emulator ive tried cannot run Order of Ecclesia with out severe audio issues, and Castlevanias not the same without its music. Im happy to report that DraStic runs it perfectly though.

Considering starting a new game if its too much trouble.

kaikun97

Post by kaikun97 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:49 am

The BIOS issue is only for savestates because Drastic uses an entirely different format. However the in-game DSV saves from SuperNDS are Desmume format (Because SuperNDS is just a copy of nds4droid with advertisements added) and Drastic is compatible with Desmume saves.

Have you tried to import these saves on Desmume on a PC and then tried to export them? I can't see any other reason for to not work unless SuperNDS makes changes to the save file that nds4droid does not.

Rrrrowsdower

Post by Rrrrowsdower » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:50 am

kaikun97 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:49 am
The BIOS issue is only for savestates because Drastic uses an entirely different format. However the in-game DSV saves from SuperNDS are Desmume format (Because SuperNDS is just a copy of nds4droid with advertisements added) and Drastic is compatible with Desmume saves.

Have you tried to import these saves on Desmume on a PC and then tried to export them? I can't see any other reason for to not work unless SuperNDS makes changes to the save file that nds4droid does not.
I had not tried that, but I just now figured it out. Heres what I had to do to get the SuperNDS dsv file to load when transferred to DraStic. Hopefully it helps someone else:

1. Take your old SuperNDS or Desmume DSV file and open it in a Hex editor
2. Scroll to the bottom and delete the section along with the values that are commented as follows:
| <--Snip.above.here.to.create.a.raw.sav.by.excluding.this.DeSmuME.savedata.footer:<...............<...........|-DESMUME.SAVE-|
3. Rename your old DraStic save to .old, then move the newly edited dsv file into its' place (make sure name matches rom of course.
4. Load game in DraStic and it should show up as the correct in-game save.

kaikun97

Post by kaikun97 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:38 pm

Rrrrowsdower wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:50 am
kaikun97 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:49 am

I had not tried that, but I just now figured it out. Heres what I had to do to get the SuperNDS dsv file to load when transferred to DraStic. Hopefully it helps someone else:

1. Take your old SuperNDS or Desmume DSV file and open it in a Hex editor
2. Scroll to the bottom and delete the section along with the values that are commented as follows:
| <--Snip.above.here.to.create.a.raw.sav.by.excluding.this.DeSmuME.savedata.footer:<...............<...........|-DESMUME.SAVE-|
3. Rename your old DraStic save to .old, then move the newly edited dsv file into its' place (make sure name matches rom of course.
4. Load game in DraStic and it should show up as the correct in-game save.
Thats odd because Drastic DS uses that footer for Desmume compatibility. If you go and do an in-game save now you should notice the filesize increased a bit from the size when you removed the footer. I guess its a bug.

Rrrrowsdower

Post by Rrrrowsdower » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:40 pm

Yeah that is odd. With the old save it would either show no in-game save. Or say "saving" when i booted. Depending on what i tried to do with the file.

In any case it works now and works great.