So your saying if google play terminates you all customers are F$%^?

Ask questions about DraStic or discuss compatibility issues here.
GraphiX2004
So your saying if google play terminates you all customers are F$%^?

Post by GraphiX2004 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:40 pm

I seen the app on the play store tonight decided no trial no ads version so bought it not even knowing it would work. It did work and worked great on two of the games I tried.
I've come to the forum to see what the community is like then seen something which I just don't understand why there's no a mass outcry about! Maybe people are not to bright.

Lot's of apps have been kicked off the playstore recently like Wiimote Controller, myriad of Sega games, other emulators. You get where I'm going with this right?
Remember Yahoo music? People spent 1000's of dollars then they turned the license server off. Hmm.. Same thing happened with all the people who spent 1000's with NFS World. Servers went bye bye.

So, what I'm reading here is due to these insane have to be online to start the app up DRM BS if the play store kicked you off we are all F***d? Or, if you decided tomorrow to close down shop.
What then? Yes, I understand completely we cannot get updates no more, but we should by law still be-able to use the software build/version we purchased tho right? Well how do we do this if one of the above happens?

So, Say I go on a train/plane flight to the USA (Family over there since married to a usa girl) I need to have Internet connection lol to be-able to start up an emulator to play my games to kill the time? That's just wrong.
You must have some plan into place for if this ever happens. i.e. Nintendo force the playstore to remove you, or you decide well enough's enough now got everyone's money close down.

I hate DRM and license checks. This is something people probably have not even thought about once! Yea, it's only 3-4 pounds to buy it. That's not the issue it's the fact that our complete DS collections for the android is then useless.
Since this is the only emulator worth its salt. I understand protecting your software I really do, but at the cost of leaving everyone high and dry if/when the time comes? I've paid I sent the admin/owner my purchase information.

The pirated working versions look like premium gold compared to the original retail versions. At least they will keep working somewhat after you get booted from the playstore. No wonder people are trying to pirate it than buy it.
I'm guessing you the author has not even considered this, or what happens when it does happen? I think you need to give people some kind of re-assurance.

Only takes this comment on the Review sections of the play store and other emu communities to get people thinking OMG he is completely right... We are all going to lose out and be totally F***d when that day comes.

Jay Haru

Re: So your saying if google play terminates you all customers are F$%^?

Post by Jay Haru » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:33 pm

GraphiX2004 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:40 pm
I seen the app on the play store tonight decided no trial no ads version so bought it not even knowing it would work. It did work and worked great on two of the games I tried.
I've come to the forum to see what the community is like then seen something which I just don't understand why there's no a mass outcry about! Maybe people are not to bright.

Lot's of apps have been kicked off the playstore recently like Wiimote Controller, myriad of Sega games, other emulators. You get where I'm going with this right?
Remember Yahoo music? People spent 1000's of dollars then they turned the license server off. Hmm.. Same thing happened with all the people who spent 1000's with NFS World. Servers went bye bye.

So, what I'm reading here is due to these insane have to be online to start the app up DRM BS if the play store kicked you off we are all F***d? Or, if you decided tomorrow to close down shop.
What then? Yes, I understand completely we cannot get updates no more, but we should by law still be-able to use the software build/version we purchased tho right? Well how do we do this if one of the above happens?

So, Say I go on a train/plane flight to the USA (Family over there since married to a usa girl) I need to have Internet connection lol to be-able to start up an emulator to play my games to kill the time? That's just wrong.
You must have some plan into place for if this ever happens. i.e. Nintendo force the playstore to remove you, or you decide well enough's enough now got everyone's money close down.

I hate DRM and license checks. This is something people probably have not even thought about once! Yea, it's only 3-4 pounds to buy it. That's not the issue it's the fact that our complete DS collections for the android is then useless.
Since this is the only emulator worth its salt. I understand protecting your software I really do, but at the cost of leaving everyone high and dry if/when the time comes? I've paid I sent the admin/owner my purchase information.

The pirated working versions look like premium gold compared to the original retail versions. At least they will keep working somewhat after you get booted from the playstore. No wonder people are trying to pirate it than buy it.
I'm guessing you the author has not even considered this, or what happens when it does happen? I think you need to give people some kind of re-assurance.

Only takes this comment on the Review sections of the play store and other emu communities to get people thinking OMG he is completely right... We are all going to lose out and be totally F***d when that day comes.
1. If you do not know how DraStics anti-piracy work, then at least ask before you rant like a loon

2. You only need to be online once for the license verification to work. After that you can play to your hearts desire even without internet.

3. Your 'complete' DS collection is supposed to be played on the DS. the app merely provided an alternative. no one stole from you like you make it sound like.

4. if you know the app is worth it's salt then thats good.

5. If you think highly of the pirated versions, you are welcome to use it. just dont cry if something happens on the 'premium piracy' versions

6. Also, I have never heard anyone getting 'booted' from the playstore. unless google goes under, the app expiring license would be the least of your worries.

7. Welcome to the forums. next time you curse ill slap your account :D
Behold my mighty

GraphiX2004

Post by GraphiX2004 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:38 pm

They don't get booted of the play store really?

Go search for Wiimote controller, go search for Sonic jump fever. There's loads of content been removed from the playstore.
With Nintendo on a rampage over roms and such of late, you can be sure they are soon going to be targeting this app and others.

You basically have stole from me. If you closed tomorrow, or the play store kicked you off that's every single customer who bought this app could no longer use it.
Not taking about updates or fixes. I'm talking about the build/version they bought. We don't get our money back from the sale do we? So when you do go byebye, or get removed that's a lot of un-happy people.

Nobody else has mentioned this because they've really not thought it through. All they think is yay! I can play my NDS games on my phone! Awesome! They've not thought hmm.. For how long can I actually do this for?
I hope if you do get booted from the store, or decide to close down you at least don't screw us all over and release a non DRM version to the people who's paid and supported it.

IF I knew i couldn't use this on the plane due to this BS internet has to be active thing which I fly to usa regular with my wife then I wouldn't of bought it.
I understand protecting your software but every single time you start it up after it's been installed it needs to check the license server? That's just waaaaaaay over the top.

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:58 pm

GraphiX2004 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:38 pm
They don't get booted of the play store really?

Go search for Wiimote controller, go search for Sonic jump fever. There's loads of content been removed from the playstore.
With Nintendo on a rampage over roms and such of late, you can be sure they are soon going to be targeting this app and others.

You basically have stole from me. If you closed tomorrow, or the play store kicked you off that's every single customer who bought this app could no longer use it.
Not taking about updates or fixes. I'm talking about the build/version they bought. We don't get our money back from the sale do we? So when you do go byebye, or get removed that's a lot of un-happy people.

Nobody else has mentioned this because they've really not thought it through. All they think is yay! I can play my NDS games on my phone! Awesome! They've not thought hmm.. For how long can I actually do this for?
I hope if you do get booted from the store, or decide to close down you at least don't screw us all over and release a non DRM version to the people who's paid and supported it.

IF I knew i couldn't use this on the plane due to this BS internet has to be active thing which I fly to usa regular with my wife then I wouldn't of bought it.
I understand protecting your software but every single time you start it up after it's been installed it needs to check the license server? That's just waaaaaaay over the top.
1. Roms and Emulators are different things. Emulators are LEGAL. Downloading roms of games you do not own are illegal.

2. YOU BOUGHT THE APP. no one forced you to buy it. so saying someone stole from you when you willingly bought it is stupid. Your ignorance to what you are buying is not anyones issue but your own stupid self. Heres a suggestion. Buy an iPhone. I hear it is suited for someone of your mental capacity.

3. Again, you need only to connect to the internet once for verification. you have to close the app properly afterwards. the next time you open the app, youre good to go.

PS

I suggest removing the tin foil hat you wear.
Behold my mighty

xperia64

Post by xperia64 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:01 pm

According to Google Play's policy, when an app is removed for a policy violation and the appeal process fails, the developer is responsible for providing refunds for the past year's worth of purchases. I believe this is a similar policy to Steam and plenty of other trusted stores, and I suppose you have not taken the time to read the Google Play terms of service and developer distribution policies. Many apps use license checks, and I have not seen any that provide explicit refund/licensing assurance beyond what Google Play states. Under current law and precedent, there is nothing Nintendo can do to take down the app in the United States. Should this unlikely event ever happen, we would be prepared to release DraStic and its source code as there would be no further incentive to keep the app closed source. You obviously have not read our posts stating that we intend to release the source code eventually anyway.

As for the online license check, the app is supposed to save the license for offline use for one year before requiring a new license check. The license validity timestamp is set for one year's worth of milliseconds. While I have seen reports that this is broken, I have never been never able to reproduce the issue myself. One possibility I haven't checked is what happens when the device reports there's internet access, but the connection to the Google Play license servers is unavailable.

We also cannot readily support all custom ROMs or otherwise modified Google Play Services given the sheer quantity of unique devices and software configurations. As far as I can tell, the licensing code as present *should* work offline, and every device I've encountered on it's respective stock OS has not had licensing problems (Samsung, OnePlus, LG, etc.)

GraphiX2004

Post by GraphiX2004 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:25 pm

I've just tested it out now with no internet. Works fine without Wifi/Data. I'm more than satisfied now :) I was under the impression every time you OPENED the app you needed to be connected to the Internet. It looks like it only needs to be connected 1 time at the install process which is completely fine. These things need to be explained to customers before buying something it's really a deal breaker for people anti-DRM I appreciate authors and software developers it's why I do buy any apps and not just pirate them. But when it turns out the pirated versions out weigh the legal versions it makes you wonder who's got it right.

I'd be happy to hear the developer come out and say if they was to shut down or be removed from the play store like Wiimote Controller was and other Nintendo items a few weeks back. That they would provide this app without the license check on the build/version the customer paid for. The emulator is as people said one of the best out there. But if like i said you folded tomorrow... Or got kicked of the store then anyone re-installing or hitting the 12month cycle would be left without their favorite app.

I had the same fight with Acronis True Image home 2019. They basically was bordering on ransomware, if you didn't pay again after 12 months the build/version you paid for it's restore feature would ghost out.
Not talking about future updates or versions I'm talking about the build/version you paid for on the day which by consumer law you should always be-able to use that version/build you paid for. Not updates/versions but that specific one.

Needless to say they %%%% pink and provided me with a lifetime key/account that bypassed this timelimit check.

GraphiX2004

Post by GraphiX2004 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:15 pm

Thought be easier to continue this than make a new thread. You mentioned about apps don't just vanish of the store paid apps more so right? What about NDS Boy! Pro? If you look in google and other emulator zone sites you will see this come as a free version with ads but also was a paid version available. Go look for this on the playstore now. You will see no such title exists I'm sure just like Drastic DS they also had 100's of people like me who bought it in good faith then all of a sudden something happened and they just vanished. Leaving the application paid for but without any way to re-install verify the license or when the 12 months come it would just stop working.

I know we don't have a say, nor a right to updates and such or get support once it's been terminated or pulled. But we should have a way/right to be-able to retain and use the version/build we paid for if/when this happens.
I don't know why more people who's here who's paid for this application has not chimed in since it's also their software that will become useless as well if/when the project decides to go the same way that NDS Boy! Pro did.

Maybe Drastic is actually NDS Boy just re-branded for all I know.

Exophase/Developers feel free to jump in here anytime dude.

xperia64

Post by xperia64 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:45 pm

There are two ways an app can "disappear" from Google Play.
The first is if the developer voluntarily delists it. If it's a paid app, it remains in libraries of everybody who purchased it available to redownload (assuming the device is compatible).
An example of an app in this category is Sonic CD, which had a bug with the ending video they didn't feel like fixing, so they delisted it from Google Play.

The second is if it gets taken down for some reason, such as policy or DMCA violation. In that case, the app is actually gone, and Google would not want to distribute a malicious or illegal app even to those who purchased it, hence the 1 year refund obligation I mentioned before.

The majority of emulators that have been removed are fly-by-night "developers" who just steal some open source app without releasing their source as they are required to do, slap ads on it or charge for it, and otherwise don't care about updates or if it gets taken down.

GraphiX2004

Post by GraphiX2004 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:42 pm

So you are saying if you closed down tomorrow my purchased version would always be available? That's really good news! But what happens if you get faked DMCA'd and under pressure they remove you from existence
will you then release this to the paid and loyal people so they can re-install later down the line? And why isn't the developer jumping in to even say anything? Unless you are the actual developer?

kaikun97

Post by kaikun97 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:30 pm

GraphiX2004 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:42 pm
So you are saying if you closed down tomorrow my purchased version would always be available? That's really good news! But what happens if you get faked DMCA'd and under pressure they remove you from existence
will you then release this to the paid and loyal people so they can re-install later down the line? And why isn't the developer jumping in to even say anything? Unless you are the actual developer?
Xperia64 is one of the devs yes.

To answer your question, he mentioned this in the previous post:
Under current law and precedent, there is nothing Nintendo can do to take down the app in the United States. Should this unlikely event ever happen, we would be prepared to release DraStic and its source code as there would be no further incentive to keep the app closed source.
However this would be in the case that the DMCA appeal process fails as developers can appeal agaisn't a DMCA takedown.