Black bars on 18:9 phone, app doesn't utilize full screen size.

Ask questions about DraStic or discuss compatibility issues here.
notdarude
Black bars on 18:9 phone, app doesn't utilize full screen size.

Post by notdarude » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:14 pm

Hello guys,

I just installed Drastic on my Xiaomi Redmi 5 Plus (Android 7.1.2. MIUI 9.6.2.0), but it is not working properly.
It seems that the app just doesn't recognize my phone as having an 18:9 screen.
I've tried editing the screen and button layout but there's a black bar at the top and bottom no matter what I've tried. It's not part of the background.
Also tried enabling and disabling the navigation bar but this doesn't affect the app.

Really hope there's a solution to it as I've been a happy Drastic user for many years, but it's a bummer that I cant utilize my full-screen size.
It might be a problem with MIUI, and I will be flashing my phone with stock Android in the future which might fix it but that won't be until a few weeks since it takes a while for the bootloader to get unlocked by Xiaomi.

SSUPII

Re: Black bars on 18:9 phone, app doesn't utilize full screen size.

Post by SSUPII » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:08 am

Are you using the latest version of Drastic?
This may be your phone running it in a strange compatibility mode.
If you smartphone has a notch (see attachment) is very likely that Drastc still does not support it
Attachments
notch.png
notch.png (47.7KiB)Viewed 7670 times
TETRIS FRIENDS IS DEAD
Spoiler!
Here is a good boy!
ImageImage
Spoiler!
Another good boy!ImageImage

notdarude

Re: Black bars on 18:9 phone, app doesn't utilize full screen size.

Post by notdarude » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:49 am

I am, even running Beta.
Thanks for the suggestions.

After another 30 minutes of troubleshooting and googling, I found out what the problem was.
For whatever reason, "Fullscreen mode" was turned off for Drastic by default, and I had to enable it manually.

I'm guessing the devs will be able to fix this quite easily, and it's probably a problem exclusive to MIUI on 18:9 screens. The toggle for Drastic was under a tab of apps labeled "These apps don't work well in fullscreen mode". But Drastic functions without problems in Fullscreen Mode. So there might be a way to enable Fullscreen Mode by default in MIUI by adding some lines of code.

On a side note, Pokemon black with SMAA and High-Resolution 3D Rendering does look stunning! I've got the top screen all the way to the top and the bottom screen all the way to the bottom (both full width), with the buttons between the two. So the second screen isn't obstructed and I can keep touch on all the time.