Examiine Multiplayer Codes

Ask questions about DraStic or discuss compatibility issues here.
AgentCPU0
Examiine Multiplayer Codes

Post by AgentCPU0 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:05 pm

I know this is a topic that has been mentioned before, but I would like to see Exophase attempt adding in multiplayer. Last time I suggested this, I said you could look at Fast Emulator's GBC and GBA emulators, as they're the only emulators of those platforms that can emulate the Game Link Cable function. I understand that since the Game Link is a physical cable, it would not exactly be easy to try to build the NDS wireless function based off of it. But I have another idea that could possibly work. Try to get a hold of several NDS games that offer local multiplayer, and look for the coding for each game. I'm not a coding expert, but I'm pretty sure within those codes is a set of commands teling the NDS to look for something specific while sending/recieving data to/from another system. If you can find enough of that sepcific data, you might be able to figure out how to emulate the multiplayer aspect. And I'm talking just local multiplayer. Unless there's servers out there that can bring back the onine services certain NDS games used to have, I wouldn't expect you to attempt that. While Exophase says that multiplayer isn't possible, I highly doubt that it actually is.

Exophase

Re: Examiine Multiplayer Codes

Post by Exophase » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:54 pm

I do think there's some possible potential for implementing non-local wifi emulation via HLE, since all games use the same Nintendo supplied libraries for this. But it's a big effort trying to reverse engineer this. I did some poking around before but didn't uncover that much yet.

Fefo

Post by Fefo » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:25 pm

Exophase, could you do a write-up of the DS multiplayer emulation? In-depth details, technical difficulties, asides and what-else? It being a regular question done by a random assortment of users doesn't inspire anyone to go ham and dump barely readable info at every chance, so I would like to read a consolidation of your thougths about the subject for now.

I doubt that I would be capable of fully understanding it for the next years at least, but these are always highly informative and amusing to me. If you don't mind wasting some of your leisure time on this I would be very, very thankful.

Nonetheless, thank you.
BE ATTITUDE FOR ENGRISH

kaikun97

Post by kaikun97 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:53 pm

Exophase wrote:I do think there's some possible potential for implementing non-local wifi emulation via HLE, since all games use the same Nintendo supplied libraries for this. But it's a big effort trying to reverse engineer this. I did some poking around before but didn't uncover that much yet.
What about the opensource implentations such as dswifi lib and PAlib? Those are the wifi libraries that DS Homebrew uses for NiFi (local wireless) and Internet (PAlib is a general library but it has stuff for the Wireless hardware). Maybe they can help with the Nintendo supplied ones because they must share some common stuff

AgentCPU0

Post by AgentCPU0 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:58 pm

Exophase, you know this is a topic you can't avoid forever. Just simply saying it's not possible will spark ideas in the minds of users on how it can be possible. Listen to kaikun97. They at least know what the libraries are, so you have a start.
I do recommend talking to Fast Emulator anyway. While the Game Link cable and the NDS wireless connection are two completely different things, the could help you setup the local WiFi connection. Their's can setup multiplayer connection either via Bluetooth or a custom online server. I could be wrong on this, but the coding for that could very well be the same.

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:53 pm

I never said it's not possible. I've actually spoken at length at various techniques worth investigating. Talking to the authors of MyBoy! (as if they even have contact information available) won't accomplish anything, I'm fully aware of how what they're doing can be implemented in a GBA emulator and it's nothing like what would be necessary here.

The homebrew libraries are not helpful for reverse engineering how the ARM7 libraries on the DS work and they won't reveal any more about the wifi hardware than is already documented elsewhere.

RatMan13579

Post by RatMan13579 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:09 pm

Either way im excited to see what drastic community has in store for us. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

beansta

Post by beansta » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:46 pm

The issue with this and using resources from other emulators is, that because GB/GBA didnt use a proprietry system for wireless multiplayer, with a closed ecosystem. This is why many GBA emulators have 'Wifi multiplayer' as programmers can just emulafe the link cable using wireless.

Nintendo's DS wifi network protocols are still to this day being deciphered and reverse engineered, and not all is understood about some of the server syscalls. And with the nintendo wifi service for DS/WII closed down, its left to projects such as Wiimmfi to look to for network access.

So, it's much harder to get an emulated DS fo connect to a network that itself is being worked on than just to code 2 devices to connect to each other.
Devices running Android:

- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (CM12.1, overclocked, undervolted)
- Asus Nexus 7 2013 (Stock Marshmallow...to play Pokemon GO on...)
- Tenfifteen QW09 SmartWatch (Kitkat)
- Fujitsu Lifebook T4410 Touchscreen Laptop (Remix OS 3.0)