DraStic Recommended Settings

Ask questions about DraStic or discuss compatibility issues here.
jvijsn
DraStic Recommended Settings

Post by jvijsn » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:09 am

Is there any Recommended settings in order run most nds roms perfectly and smoothly? xD

HugMeTender

Re: DraStic Recommended Settings

Post by HugMeTender » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:43 am

If anyone could also give a quick explanation on the differences between linear/scale2x filtering and multi-threaded 3D rendering, that'd be great :D
Image Hell yeah, Dragonite XD

Systems Owned
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 running SlimBean 4.3 Build 1
LG DoublePlay with root access running stock
PSP Slim running 5.00 M33-6
ASUS G73SW-A1 Laptop

jvijsn

Post by jvijsn » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:59 am

Linear/scale2x Filtering: a simple filter that smooths the picture. Basically forces bilinear filtering on all graphics. May cause artifacts but also smooth out HUD and 2D.
Multi-threaded 3d: execution of the smallest unit of processing which means it makes the 3d graphics smaller in order for it to run faster

hope i helped xD

awk

Post by awk » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:03 pm

I thought multi threaded 3D meant that the 3D operations are delegated to the extra core if the device has one?

jvijsn

Post by jvijsn » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:11 pm

awk wrote:I thought multi threaded 3D meant that the 3D operations are delegated to the extra core if the device has one?
:D i also thought that is its function.. but when i ask other devs they told me that is it's main purpose..

awk

Post by awk » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:12 pm

Interesting! Thanks :)

jvijsn

Post by jvijsn » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:21 pm

awk wrote:Interesting! Thanks :)
no problem :) wait do you know a good settings for DraStic to emulate nds games smoothly? :D

Lordus

Post by Lordus » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:41 pm

jvijsn wrote:
awk wrote:I thought multi threaded 3D meant that the 3D operations are delegated to the extra core if the device has one?
:D i also thought that is its function.. but when i ask other devs they told me that is it's main purpose..
I wonder, which other devs you asked ;)

With multi-threaded 3D enabled, the rendering of the DS 3D graphics are loaded off to another thread, which can run on another CPU core, if your device has more than one.

The recommended settings for DraStic are the default settings.

You can enable threaded 3D for 3D heavy games, if your device struggles otherwise, but i wouldn't generally recommend using it, because it can cause glitches like flashing screens, stuff being shown on the wrong screen, or even lead to a crash.

You should also play with the audio latency setting. Of course low would be the best setting, but not all devices work well with it. The HTC One for example can have massive slowdowns, if it is not set to high. I didn't experience this with any other test device, though.

I'd also recommend to leave the frameskip at auto-4, even if your device can handle games easily at framskip 0. DraStic will still not skip frames if it's not necessary, but it will smooth out little frame drops, if there is something happing in the background on your device, for example.

awk

Post by awk » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:47 pm

Ha! :lol:

as for frameskip, it should be pointed that it breaks Hotel Dusk and Last window if not set to 0.

jvijsn

Post by jvijsn » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:57 pm

Lordus wrote:
jvijsn wrote:
I wonder, which other devs you asked ;)

With multi-threaded 3D enabled, the rendering of the DS 3D graphics are loaded off to another thread, which can run on another CPU core, if your device has more than one.

The recommended settings for DraStic are the default settings.

You can enable threaded 3D for 3D heavy games, if your device struggles otherwise, but i wouldn't generally recommend using it, because it can cause glitches like flashing screens, stuff being shown on the wrong screen, or even lead to a crash.

You should also play with the audio latency setting. Of course low would be the best setting, but not all devices work well with it. The HTC One for example can have massive slowdowns, if it is not set to high. I didn't experience this with any other test device, though.

I'd also recommend to leave the frameskip at auto-4, even if your device can handle games easily at framskip 0. DraStic will still not skip frames if it's not necessary, but it will smooth out little frame drops, if there is something happing in the background on your device, for example.
thank your for posting :))) i really appreciate your effort typing all of these :) im glad someone answered my question :)) ill try all of this to maximize my gameplay in DraStic. :D