HDMI Possibilities.

Ask questions about DraStic or discuss compatibility issues here.
Jay Haru
Re: HDMI Possibilities.

Post by Jay Haru » Wed May 07, 2014 6:26 pm

Exophase wrote:
Lordus wrote:It's already possible via HDMI cable, or Miracast. Chromecast needs to be supported specifically. I might take a look at that and ordered one today.
*claps* ;)
imagines exo clapping slowly, coming out from a shadowed corner of a room, telling lordus 'well done, welcome to level 7'. :x
Behold my mighty

Scuz

Post by Scuz » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Did any thing happen with Chromecast or is it too slow?

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:13 pm

Scuz wrote:Did any thing happen with Chromecast or is it too slow?
They definitely don't make it easy to custom stream content to it. Someone is currently working on an app that will mirror your Android display to the Chromecast:

https://plus.google.com/110558071969009 ... WcpAhBha5F

However, it requires a Nexus 5 because of the requirement to encode VP8 realtime. And that still results in a pretty high latency stream with visible artifacts.

It's possible that a tighter connection can be made with DraStic since it only really needs to stream 256x384 worth of content (preferably at 60Hz), and it'd have a more direct connection instead of grabbing the Android screen. But if we have to send a complex encoded movie stream it's still going to be a major stumbling block.

Lordus has been experimenting with streaming between two Android devices, including very basic lossy compression - AFAIK the results have been okay if not amazing (but varies a lot depending on device used).

EDIT: Okay, it looks like Google themselves may have a solution coming up.. http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/25/chro ... mirroring/ Also maybe this? https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ream&hl=en

Scuz

Post by Scuz » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:51 pm

Yeah I enabled that today and it was a bit hit and miss.

sensai25

Post by sensai25 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:57 am

Hi !!
I am an happy user of Drastic :D
I bought recently a Chromecast Device, and i am wondering if you are working on a Chromecasting compatibility for Drastic.

What i am dreaming is :
1) Possibility to display game on my Wide TV (already possible with mirroring but far from perfect solution)
2a) Possibility to have on my tablet/Phone device : only the controller displayed, for input and minimal battery hit.
2b) Possibility to have a MOGA/X360/PS3-4 controller on OTG/Bluetooh, with Tablet/Phone screen turned OFF and only TV monitor displaying ON for very small battery hit.

Do you thing this could be possible to work on this ? I am even ready to pay for a small Chromecast Update/Complementary App as this is a new feature. There is already some dev working on that for SNES.
---------------------------------------------

My own tests
I own a Nexus 4 and a Nexus 7. I tried Mirroring function but it is far from being perfect because :
- Both of you screens are displaying Emulation => Battery consumption is high.
- Hard to focus on your main TV screen, with the controlls on your phone.
- Still having lag

-----------------------------------------

Mirroring can be turned on on more devices than previously announced :
http://forum.xda-developers.com/hardwar ... e-t2812193

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:23 pm

Only displaying the controls on the Android screen isn't going to change power consumption, or at least not a lot. Turning the screen off will, but if you don't need to hold the device at all it shouldn't be as much of a hindrance to plug it in to wall power.

As for lag, I can't say for sure but I'm skeptical that we can do better than Google here... If some other emulator really does do it and proves that their own solution works better for them we'll consider it, though.