Latest Drastic version runs games like garbo

Ask questions about DraStic or discuss compatibility issues here.
TkSilver
Re: Latest Drastic version runs games like garbo

Post by TkSilver » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:16 pm

Lordus wrote:CDavid, could you please check if enabling 'multi-threaded 3d' in the video options (and then restarting the app) helps with the slowdowns?
Wouldn't help the gt-s7390l is a galaxy trend lite and has
Broadcom BCM21654 / ARM Cortex-A9 1.0 GHz single core
512MB ram

Exo/lordus did the update cause something in the DS to be emulated more accurately, since this device would be more sensitive to smaller changes in Cpu power required?

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:27 pm

TkSilver wrote:Exo/lordus did the update cause something in the DS to be emulated more accurately, since this device would be more sensitive to smaller changes in Cpu power required?
There shouldn't be any decrease in performance and we haven't noticed any on various other devices.

My best guess right now is that the problem came with an update to the NDK. Lordus asked about trying threaded 3D because a similar regression was found on his Galaxy S1, where enabling threaded 3D causes a huge performance delta despite also being a single core device. Oddly, the other single core device tested, an Xperia Play, shows no such behavior or any kind of performance regression.

This could have something to do with thread synchronization on certain devices/Android versions, maybe variations in preemptive granularity.. we need to investigate more to try to find out.

CDavid

Post by CDavid » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:49 pm

Issue has been fixed by Lordus, next update will have it fixed :D Thanks!

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:07 pm

Looks like the problem was indeed because of something I changed and not the NDK's fault.

There's now a separate thread running for threaded 3D whether it's enabled or not, to allow enabling it easily without having to restart the emulator. That thread is supposed to do nothing but periodically check if threaded 3D was enabled. But it looks like it was done in a way that's causing a lot of overhead on some single core devices. So we're looking at changing it now.

Fefo

Post by Fefo » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:58 am

This feature looks convenient, but how much extra power does this require?
BE ATTITUDE FOR ENGRISH

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:24 am

Fefo wrote:This feature looks convenient, but how much extra power does this require?
Should be none in the update, the original implementation wasn't correct though and resulted in power and/or performance waste.

IRexPvpHD

Post by IRexPvpHD » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:35 pm

Exophase wrote:We're looking back through the devices we have to see if we can find performance regressions on any of them, and if so determine why. I'll keep updates posted on this thread.

IRexPvpHD, do you mind providing what hardware you're running on?
I'm using a SHIELD Tablet with android 6.0.1

Kyousuke753

Post by Kyousuke753 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:11 pm

@OP I hate to be a douche but your phone has only 512 RAM and it's going to run into performance issues when running Drastic, you can try closing all other apps in the background then launch Drastic but I doubt it would help, Maybe if your device was quad core, 1GB RAM it should run smoothly.

Do not multi-task when running Drastic in the background it restarts the emulator. *cough cough* progress loss.

CDavid

Post by CDavid » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:39 pm

Kyousuke753 wrote:@OP I hate to be a douche but your phone has only 512 RAM and it's going to run into performance issues when running Drastic, you can try closing all other apps in the background then launch Drastic but I doubt it would help, Maybe if your device was quad core, 1GB RAM it should run smoothly.

Do not multi-task when running Drastic in the background it restarts the emulator. *cough cough* progress loss.
DraStic surprisingly runs buttery smooth (w/ 9 frameskip obv) it's just that the previous version fucked me over with never seen slowdowns before.