Is it possible to make Slot-2 RAM faster?

Ask questions about DraStic or discuss compatibility issues here.
jdog320
Is it possible to make Slot-2 RAM faster?

Post by jdog320 » Fri May 27, 2016 1:20 am

So I was testing out Quake II on my device (Galaxy S II). And it seems that the game is really dependent on slot-2 ram timings and even with the "slow" option, the game stutters a lot. And don't worry my phone plays other 3d heavy games just fine like Dementium II. This also seems to happen to DS Doom.

TkSilver

Re: Is it possible to make Slot-2 RAM faster?

Post by TkSilver » Fri May 27, 2016 10:18 am

Unlike Dementium 2, Quake 1 + 2 are not official NDS games and comparing performance is a fairly moot point since they really hve very little to do with each other.

I will need lordus or exo to confirm, but my guess is not that the slot 2 is acting too slow, but you are not getting slot 2 to act like ram at all. I doubt it was programmed in since no official game uses a feature like that. Hopefully this is a feature that can be implimented, though I am not sure if the way DraStic currently emulates slot2 functionality will allow for it to work like that.

jdog320

Post by jdog320 » Fri May 27, 2016 10:29 am

Another note is that even regular ports that don't require expansion like DSDoom slows down when sound and such arebbeibg played. Iow, it runs really bad.

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Fri May 27, 2016 7:55 pm

Whatever problems there are with performance it's not because of Slot-2 RAM timings, which are emulated with zero wait states (much faster than on a real DS). Check the emulator's frame rate counter, if it's < 100% then the performance problems are because the emulator can't keep up. If the games heavily access the SD card they'll probably emulate really slowly.

jdog320

Post by jdog320 » Fri May 27, 2016 10:44 pm

Exophase wrote:Whatever problems there are with performance it's not because of Slot-2 RAM timings, which are emulated with zero wait states (much faster than on a real DS). Check the emulator's frame rate counter, if it's < 100% then the performance problems are because the emulator can't keep up. If the games heavily access the SD card they'll probably emulate really slowly.
The fps usually stays at 98-100% and it only dips if new animations are being shown or a lot is happening on the screen. Also is it possible to make the virtual SD speed faster? BTW quake 2 doesn't work properly with save states.

Kyousuke753

Post by Kyousuke753 » Sat May 28, 2016 2:47 am

Do you mean increase the read speed of the SD card? I've messed around with a 2GB SD card and it got corrupted.

It's possible though.

jdog320

Post by jdog320 » Sat May 28, 2016 3:53 am

Kyousuke753 wrote:Do you mean increase the read speed of the SD card? I've messed around with a 2GB SD card and it got corrupted.

It's possible though.
Something like that. Increase the speed of the sdcard image.

jdog320

Post by jdog320 » Sat May 28, 2016 3:55 am

jdog320 wrote:
Kyousuke753 wrote:Do you mean increase the read speed of the SD card? I've messed around with a 2GB SD card and it got corrupted.

It's possible though.
Something like that. Increase the speed of the r4 image.

Kyousuke753

Post by Kyousuke753 » Sat May 28, 2016 4:51 am

Depends which SD card brand you've got like Panasonic, Sandisk which everyone uses, Samsung, Lexar, Kingston and TOO many to list each with an appropriate program to format the SD card and change between FAT32, exFAT32 and NTFS to change read speeds or just use the old way My Conputer on a Windows PC/Laptop.

ALSO you can change SD card cache as well so test and MAKE SURE YOU BACKED UP YOUR SD CARD BEFORE DOING THIS IM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGED/CORRUPTED SD CARDS, DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK. Sorrt for caps.

The above is mentioned for compatiblity of the SD card whether it'll work on your device or not after changing it.

It's possible to force the read speed at 1GB per sec but it hangs the SD card and makes it work even harder decreasing its lifespan, I've tested it a lot before my Sandisk 2GB SD got over abused and resulted in corruption...since you're referring to RAM I don't know if re-fornatting the SD card to different read speeds will change anything in the game since it's Drastic we're talking about.

jdog320

Post by jdog320 » Sat May 28, 2016 6:44 am

Kyousuke753 wrote:Depends which SD card brand you've got like Panasonic, Sandisk which everyone uses, Samsung, Lexar, Kingston and TOO many to list each with an appropriate program to format the SD card and change between FAT32, exFAT32 and NTFS to change read speeds or just use the old way My Conputer on a Windows PC/Laptop.

ALSO you can change SD card cache as well so test and MAKE SURE YOU BACKED UP YOUR SD CARD BEFORE DOING THIS IM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGED/CORRUPTED SD CARDS, DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK. Sorrt for caps.

The above is mentioned for compatiblity of the SD card whether it'll work on your device or not after changing it.

It's possible to force the read speed at 1GB per sec but it hangs the SD card and makes it work even harder decreasing its lifespan, I've tested it a lot before my Sandisk 2GB SD got over abused and resulted in corruption...since you're referring to RAM I don't know if re-fornatting the SD card to different read speeds will change anything in the game since it's Drastic we're talking about.
No. What I mean is that when exophase said that games that are dldi dependent can be slow. What I mean is can we make it faster.