Compatability

Ask questions about DraStic or discuss compatibility issues here.
Exophase
Posts: 1714
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:08 pm

Re: Compatability

Post by Exophase » Sat May 31, 2014 8:31 pm

Thanks, I'll check this out some time.

User avatar
huckleberrypie
Posts: 437
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 4:21 am
Contact:

Re: Compatability

Post by huckleberrypie » Sat May 31, 2014 9:15 pm

Exophase wrote:Thanks, I'll check this out some time.
You're welcome dude. :) I'm more than willing to buy your emu, well, mostly since you did a 'swell job at making it run fast on low-end, budget devices.

Exophase
Posts: 1714
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:08 pm

Re: Compatability

Post by Exophase » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:12 pm

I think I found the problem with the game (it tries to submit more geometry commands after a swap buffers commands - on a real DS this will supposedly cause it to stall), but I haven't thought of a good way to emulate this yet. That probably explains why it flickers on other emulators too. The amount of flickering changes depending on timing hacks - it can be mitigated down to almost no flickering, but it's best to avoid doing this if possible. Will see if I can work out a way to emulate the stalls and if that fixes it.

User avatar
huckleberrypie
Posts: 437
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 4:21 am
Contact:

Re: Compatability

Post by huckleberrypie » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:54 am

So it's safe to say that Webfoot pretty much screwed up with writing the engine they used for the American Girl games, eh?

Exophase
Posts: 1714
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:08 pm

Re: Compatability

Post by Exophase » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:11 am

huckleberrypie wrote:So it's safe to say that Webfoot pretty much screwed up with writing the engine they used for the American Girl games, eh?
Hard to say exactly, probably they are doing it this way on accident, but it probably also relies on a well defined feature of the DS that we're just not emulating properly.

A lot better than games like Pokemon HeartGold that crash if some things happen more quickly than they should.

User avatar
huckleberrypie
Posts: 437
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 4:21 am
Contact:

Re: Compatability

Post by huckleberrypie » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:17 am

Exophase wrote:
huckleberrypie wrote:So it's safe to say that Webfoot pretty much screwed up with writing the engine they used for the American Girl games, eh?
Hard to say exactly, probably they are doing it this way on accident, but it probably also relies on a well defined feature of the DS that we're just not emulating properly.

A lot better than games like Pokemon HeartGold that crash if some things happen more quickly than they should.
Well at least it runs, right? Only prob would be if a little girl or two who played this on an emu would end up hospitalised due to seizures lol. :P

Exophase
Posts: 1714
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:08 pm

Re: Compatability

Post by Exophase » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:20 am

huckleberrypie wrote:Well at least it runs, right? Only prob would be if a little girl or two who played this on an emu would end up hospitalised due to seizures lol. :P
Yeah, I wouldn't want to play it like it is now :P And I haven't tried Julie Finds a Way but if it's like it is on DeSmuME then it'd be even worse..

I am actually trying to do a fix for it now, we'll see how that ends up, maybe in a day or two.

User avatar
huckleberrypie
Posts: 437
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 4:21 am
Contact:

Re: Compatability

Post by huckleberrypie » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:28 am

Take your time dude, I'm sure we can cobble up a fix or two. Julie's was even worse as I more often get missing geometry on Desmume compared to Kit's.

I did manage to complete the first two cases in Mystery Challenge, but the real challenge would be trying to ignore the geometry spazzing out.

Exophase
Posts: 1714
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:08 pm

Re: Compatability

Post by Exophase » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:08 am

Finally got the swap stall stuff working. It's just a partial implementation but it was enough to get a homebrew test ROM and the two American Girl games working properly. Should be in the next beta/next version. If you're waiting on it before buying the full version I'd recommend waiting for the demo to auto-update to confirm that it works.

User avatar
huckleberrypie
Posts: 437
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 4:21 am
Contact:

Re: Compatability

Post by huckleberrypie » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:18 am

Exophase wrote:Finally got the swap stall stuff working. It's just a partial implementation but it was enough to get a homebrew test ROM and the two American Girl games working properly. Should be in the next beta/next version. If you're waiting on it before buying the full version I'd recommend waiting for the demo to auto-update to confirm that it works.
Nice one dude! :) You plan on doing a commit or two, or at least suggest this workaround to the Desmume developers?

Post Reply