Extract save from savestate

Ask questions about DraStic or discuss compatibility issues here.
suloku
Extract save from savestate

Post by suloku » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:14 am

Hi, I'm using version r2.4.0.1a with no problems whatsoever for playing Pokémon SoulSilver.

I haven't had any problems until this morning: after beating the pokémon league the game saves and reboots, and after that it told me my save was corrupted.

I have a savestate just after beating the pokémon league, after which the game saves by itself, so I was wondering the following:

- Where is the dsv file stored in the savestate? (yes, the option is enabled in config and was when I created the savestate)
- If the game is saving after loading the savestate, how come the resulting save is corrupted? Maybe the game does not write a whole new savefile? I've thought about switching the save stored in the dss file for a non corrupted one, see if that makes a difference.

I have backups, but I'm 8 gameplay hours away from my previous backup and well, it's kind of dissapointing to lose all that progress.

Here's a link to this .dss file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/70453xggwcm2a ... 8.dss?dl=0

Any help will be appreciated.

Exophase

Re: Extract save from savestate

Post by Exophase » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:44 am

The savestate is at offset 0x30040, for this game 0x80000 bytes (512KB)

But instead of replacing the save in the savestate you could just load the savestate and save it again with the option to have backups in savestates turned off. Then put the DSV you want in the directory. But the game may still know that the savestate doesn't match the DSV.

suloku

Post by suloku » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:55 am

Thank you very much, I read this on mobile and forgot to reply later, sorry for that.

My savestate was at a point were I couldn't manually save, that's why I wanted to extract it.
Turns out the save was corrupted (just two bytes, but one at main save and one at backup save) and was able to "fix" it with a save editor, meaning the save editor fixed the checksums so the game would load that save.

The save apparently worked fine, but I was worried about what that corrutpted byte would be and I ended up replaying what I had lost.

Hope this info helps someone in the same situation.

PATATAGAME

Post by PATATAGAME » Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:40 pm

I know this is an old post but how to change the savestate save file?