Frameskip Help

Ask questions about DraStic or discuss compatibility issues here.
GamingRetro
Frameskip Help

Post by GamingRetro » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:12 pm

Does anyone know what the best frameskip rate is? I currently have it on 4, but is that too high?
I have a Nexus 4, specs are below:
Quad-core 1.5ghz Krait Qualcomm Snapdragon APQ8064
Adreno 320 Graphics
2GB Ram

Thank you

TkSilver

Re: Frameskip Help

Post by TkSilver » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:38 pm

It depends on the game (2d vs 3d, action vs puzzle vs ...), on your settings (low latency audio, hi resolution, color depth, ect...), and how tolerant you are to some minor fps hiccups.

If you are not using the high resolution option honestly you can probably play most games on none. With only some of the more demanding going 80//100% on occasion.

If timing is not a major concern ie not a fighting game or timed press based game auto is the best option to find a smooth frame rate.

On my galaxy tab s quad core 1.9GHz exynos (octo core technically but not practically) 3GB ram. I run all my games a 0 frame skip for compatability (odd things can happen if the wrong frame is skipped, rare but happens). When I run high resolution I need some frame skip but for those games I just prefer default resolution. Most things run like this at 95-100/100% with occasional dips to 85/100% on a few games with high action going on all at once

My basic advice is try 0 fs and see how it plays for 10-15 mins. If you don't like it then either set it to auto or do 1 fs and retry the 10-15 mins, then 2 fs ..... 3 fs .... until you find what you personally like.

reeve

Post by reeve » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:47 am

If you are using "Auto" frameskip, 4 is usually fine. As I understand it, it will skip at most 4 consecutive frames to keep the emulation speed 100%, but it won't skip anything if it not necessary.

Android Fan

Post by Android Fan » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:38 am

i honestly rather lag than turn this crap on i never liked frameskip and im getting full speeds without 3d hd option on a device with lower specs than yours i think you will be fine

TkSilver

Post by TkSilver » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:24 pm

Android Fan wrote:i honestly rather lag than turn this crap on i never liked frameskip and im getting full speeds without 3d hd option on a device with lower specs than yours i think you will be fine
That is kind of my basic view too. The first sysetems I emulated were some 2d fighting game boards I got dirt cheep when an arcade shut down near me. It was far cheeper and easier to dump the roms of the boards then it was to try and wire up 10 different cabinets, especially since they were proprietary connectors and annoying things like that back then. So emulating 2d fighters on M.A.M.E. taught me that slight slowdowns on games were preferred to frameskip when timing and input precision mattered.