Audio issues with some games.

Ask questions about DraStic or discuss compatibility issues here.
EASYtm
Audio issues with some games.

Post by EASYtm » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:15 pm

I've been using the drastic emulator for a while now and it has always had issues with two games. I am currently using a galaxys4. Everygame I've tried so far has run fine, the only issue is the sound on two games. Chrono trigger and golden sun seem so have something wrong with the audio. With chrono trigger it seemes like parts of some sounds are missing. The music is fine, but when i go to attack no sound plays. With golden sun it is kinda the same issue, when the characters talk it is just static and the audio sounds a bit laggy. Is there any fix for this?

Exophase

Re: Audio issues with some games.

Post by Exophase » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:46 pm

I'm not sure about Chrono Trigger, I'll need a more specific case to reproduce.

Golden Sun uses some DS audio features that aren't really emulated at the moment so the sound effects have some issues.

EASYtm

Post by EASYtm » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:58 pm

Is there anything you need from my end? Or do you think ita not fixable.

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:18 pm

A save game file (not savestate, in-game save file) for Chrono Trigger and a detailed description of how to reproduce the issue from the game start would be helpful. I'd probably want to check on a real DS to compare.

EASYtm

Post by EASYtm » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:44 pm

I did not play far enough to get to a save point, but the sound issue occurs when ever you enter a battle. A battle can be found within five minutes of playing. Where I first noticed it was when you battled Gato the robot in the fair. The sound issue happens when you go for an attack and then no sound plays when the attack hits. The music and everything else seem to sound fine, although I compared it to a SNES version of the game and some of the sounds sound a bit different. The rom I used seems to be too big to upload, but I've used multiple roms and the issue occurs on all of them. If theres anything else I can do please let me know.

reeve

Post by reeve » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:49 pm

I can confirm the issue with chrono trigger. I've attached a ingame save near a battle. Here's a video (recorded on desmume)showing how to get to the battle and the missing attack sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_E4GLmO-fg
Edit: I forgot to say, the save is for a USA ROM.
Attachments
ctdsu.zip
(2.09KiB)Downloaded 425 times

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:17 am

Which sound effect is missing exactly? I'm testing it on PC and I could hear sound effects for both Crono and Marle's attacks that sound right. It's possible it's different on the ARM, I just want to make sure I'm not missing something obvious. I'll test it on an ARM platform too and see if I notice anything.

EASYtm

Post by EASYtm » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:19 am

If it sounds correct on your end it is most likely a problem on my end. I also looked at the video and it all sounds correct to me, so I have a feeling it may be my phone. The sound that isn't playing for me is when Chrono or Marle hits something. When they hit it just shows a number but no sound effect plays when they do. If it helps, when Chrono critical hits only the second higher pitch sound plays for me.

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:05 am

EASYtm wrote:If it sounds correct on your end it is most likely a problem on my end. I also looked at the video and it all sounds correct to me, so I have a feeling it may be my phone. The sound that isn't playing for me is when Chrono or Marle hits something. When they hit it just shows a number but no sound effect plays when they do. If it helps, when Chrono critical hits only the second higher pitch sound plays for me.
It's possible that the noise channel is broken, but only in the ARM code. It's very unlikely that the problem is only on your end. I'll look into it more later today.

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:25 pm

Tested it on Pandora and Lordus tested it on Android and we can't spot missing sounds during attack. Are you both using the latest version?