Flicker, freeze, "not responding"

Ask questions about DraStic or discuss compatibility issues here.
roblicious
Flicker, freeze, "not responding"

Post by roblicious » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:02 pm

After playing a game for a while, there will be a black flicker on part of the screen and everything will freeze up. After 30 seconds or so it will come back, but do the same thing a couple seconds later. Eventually it will tell me "drastic isn't responding" and ask me to close it. if I tell it to wait, the game will perform normally for a minute or so and do the same thing again. I have tried reinstalling the device. Sound is enabled, I've tried 3d rendering on and off. I'm on a galaxy S3 with Cyanogenmod 10.1.2 on android 4.2.2.

theswweet

Re: Flicker, freeze, "not responding"

Post by theswweet » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:25 am

Literally same exact specs as you, and having the same issues. Observing the task manager every few seconds makes me think it has to do with how the emulator handles RAM... as soon as it passes 150MB in the cached processes is when the freezes seem to start.

Oddly enough, I only seem to get this issue in landscape mode. Dunno why.

In the meantime, after I recover from the first freeze I just guicksave and restart drastic... works fine enough, but kinda breaks my immersion in pokemon mystery dungeon.

EDIT - since there is a difference between US and International s3's, mine is the US version.

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:32 am

Would help if we know the game in question so we can test them on our units (if we own the games) or if the game has already known issues.
Behold my mighty

theswweet

Post by theswweet » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:36 am

Jay Haru wrote:Would help if we know the game in question so we can test them on our units (if we own the games) or if the game has already known issues.
I don't know what game the OP is playing, but I've strictly been playing Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky. I can test other games of required to pinpoint the problem.

EDIT - I just tested NSMB, and although it was predictably infuriating to play on a touch screen... I did not encounter a freeze for a good 10 minutes.
Last edited by theswweet on Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lordus

Post by Lordus » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:40 am

Is the game zipped? If so, can you try if it makes a difference if it isn't?
Please also check if turning off Scale2X and changing the audio latency makes a difference.

As you're both on the same custom rom i assume it has something to do with it. Didn't hear of that issue before, and i am using a S3 myself.

theswweet

Post by theswweet » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:57 am

Lordus wrote:Is the game zipped? If so, can you try if it makes a difference if it isn't?
Please also check if turning off Scale2X and changing the audio latency makes a difference.

As you're both on the same custom rom i assume it has something to do with it. Didn't hear of that issue before, and i am using a S3 myself.
NSMB which I just tested was zipped, but didn't have issues with it... I'll see if there is any difference with PMD with just the strict .ends file.

theswweet

Post by theswweet » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:09 am

So I played some of it on the .nds file, and it hasn't flickered for a decent chunk of time... checking the cached processes shows RAM usage at a much normal range, so I think that did it. Thanks! That and the database fix for explorers of sky has fixed pretty much any problems I had.

roblicious

Post by roblicious » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:27 pm

Jay Haru wrote:Would help if we know the game in question so we can test them on our units (if we own the games) or if the game has already known issues.
It has happened with multiple games so it isn't a problem with any particular game

roblicious

Post by roblicious » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:00 pm

Lordus wrote:Is the game zipped? If so, can you try if it makes a difference if it isn't?

Not zipped, but the roms are on my external SD card. I've switched audio settings and filter settings and I still get the issue.