Savegame problems

Ask questions about DraStic or discuss compatibility issues here.
silen7_trill
Re: Savegame problems

Post by silen7_trill » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:55 am

i played for about an hour. used shiny cheat to get a shiny starter and was using 2x speed cheat, and i also turned on rename any pokemon and can delete hm moves (for future uses). i saved multiple times (with resets to turn off shiny cheat and it worked) and got through the whole beginning tutorial before accidentally hitting the home button which exited drastic. then accidentally hit drastic instead of going to recent apps and and now it either loads me to my only save state or my very first save before i choose a pokemon (they're basically the same save). in drastic/backup there is a save from about 10 minutes before i screwed up but it won't recognize it? or something? helpp i don't want to do all of that over again

Greg_ori

Post by Greg_ori » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:41 pm

Hi!
I'm having problems with the saves of all my games. I'll try to be specific:

Drastic version: r2.1.6.2a
Android version: 4.2.1 stock
Games tested: Advance Wars Dual Strike, Might and Magic Crash of Heroes, Phoenix Wright - Ace Attorney, Radiant Historia, Pokémon Volt White.
Games that show the problem: All of the above except Pokémon Volt White.

The problem: When playing, I can save games using the quick save option and the ingame option. Both doesn't show any error. If I exit Drastic using the home button on the phone, leaving it on the background memory, I can reenter the emulator and pick my games and load both savestates and in-game saves without problems. If I fully exit Drastic using the menu option on the app or swiping away the app on the Android's Recent Apps list, upon reentering the emulator, all games will have outdated savestates and in-game saves.

I tried to isolate the issue but it seems like saves work at random. If I pick a game and save 5 times in a period of 5 minutes, when trying to load it after exiting the app, the save can be any of my attempts. When looking at the savestates inside the savestate folder, the last savestate for the game will be at 0 bytes. Inside the backup folder there's a save too, but I dunno if Drastic loads that. I'm tired of losing hours of progress on my games :(

There's some BIOS files inside the system folder. I don't remember if they're mine or from Drastic itself since I have the app from the time they where needed. Can they be the problem? Also, all the roms are trimmed. That could change the way Drastic handles the saves? Although I'm not sure if trimming changes the ROM id at all.

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:07 pm

Greg_ori wrote:Hi!
I'm having problems with the saves of all my games. I'll try to be specific:

Drastic version: r2.1.6.2a
Android version: 4.2.1 stock
Games tested: Advance Wars Dual Strike, Might and Magic Crash of Heroes, Phoenix Wright - Ace Attorney, Radiant Historia, Pokémon Volt White.
Games that show the problem: All of the above except Pokémon Volt White.

The problem: When playing, I can save games using the quick save option and the ingame option. Both doesn't show any error. If I exit Drastic using the home button on the phone, leaving it on the background memory, I can reenter the emulator and pick my games and load both savestates and in-game saves without problems. If I fully exit Drastic using the menu option on the app or swiping away the app on the Android's Recent Apps list, upon reentering the emulator, all games will have outdated savestates and in-game saves.

I tried to isolate the issue but it seems like saves work at random. If I pick a game and save 5 times in a period of 5 minutes, when trying to load it after exiting the app, the save can be any of my attempts. When looking at the savestates inside the savestate folder, the last savestate for the game will be at 0 bytes. Inside the backup folder there's a save too, but I dunno if Drastic loads that. I'm tired of losing hours of progress on my games :(

There's some BIOS files inside the system folder. I don't remember if they're mine or from Drastic itself since I have the app from the time they where needed. Can they be the problem? Also, all the roms are trimmed. That could change the way Drastic handles the saves? Although I'm not sure if trimming changes the ROM id at all.
It sounds like the savestate generation is failing for some reason. Can you confirm that you're not running out of free space to make the saves? Barring that, it's possible that something is wrong with your storage that's causing failures..

The backup file has in-game saves, but by default the savestate also contains in-game saves. That can be disabled but it'll cause desync problems with some games. If you stop using savestates and ONLY use in-game saves then you won't have an issue with that. That means not using the auto save and resume options.

Greg_ori

Post by Greg_ori » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:14 am

Can you confirm that you're not running out of free space to make the saves? Barring that, it's possible that something is wrong with your storage that's causing failures.
Not running out of space. There's more than 1Gb free on the SD card. I dunno, I've never got any error from another app regarding I/O failures. Even on Drastic, it always saves without showing errors. Also keep in mind that Pokémon never fails for some reason.

I had autosave turned on, I'm turning it off now. Using only in-game saves is kind of a deal breaker to me. I play games on five minute breaks or while waiting for someone in the car... also in the bathroom like everybody else :lol:. I'll try not to use the quick save option. Maybe that's the culprit for me. Entering and exiting the app multiple times per day resuming from the same position in memory may be messing with the savestate function.

If there's anything I can do to help debugging, I'm willing to do so.

Thanks!

mullen009

Post by mullen009 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:04 pm

i replaced my phone and took my drastic folder off my old phone and uploaded my save to the google drive.

i can see my save on my google drive, and tried to move it to a folder to allow drastic to load it... this game save is a methodically planned 30+ hour game and so restarting would be really lame.

i have the game save on the phone from the previous phone but it wont show any of the saves.. and im not sure how to get it manually from google drive because the phone wont load the saves and the one time one poped up it didnt allow me to play it.

i did in fact just download the game from google. and so any advice would be great.

imeem

Post by imeem » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:20 am

i would like to say that in Pokemon White,I made a save state and an in-game save and i tried loading the in-game save and it wasn't exactly where i left off. Judging from the location, it loaded the save state instead. This did not happen when i only had an in-game save. Not a big deal in my case since i only lost ~3 min progress.

I tried to recreate the issue but didn't work.

Crazed//Anon13

Post by Crazed//Anon13 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:25 am

Hi Guys!

I have been playing Rune Factory 3 for a while now... It freezes from time to time (I still don't know why) but the most recent freeze seemingly deleted my in-game save! Save states doesn't work too! Is there anyway for me to recover my in-game save? I refuse to believe it's deleted! LOL..

Thanks in advance everyone! cheers! :geek:

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:06 am

Crazed//Anon13 wrote:Hi Guys!

I have been playing Rune Factory 3 for a while now... It freezes from time to time (I still don't know why) but the most recent freeze seemingly deleted my in-game save! Save states doesn't work too! Is there anyway for me to recover my in-game save? I refuse to believe it's deleted! LOL..

are you using a legal copy of drastic? savestates work only if it was an official and not pirated.
Behold my mighty

Crazed//Anon13

Post by Crazed//Anon13 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:02 am

Jay Haru wrote:

are you using a legal copy of drastic? savestates work only if it was an official and not pirated.
Yeah, it's a legit copy. It's a pretty recent issue actually... I'll try to re-install it again... How about the in-game saves? Any way to retrieve them? Or are they good as dead? thanks! :geek:

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:24 am

Crazed//Anon13 wrote:
Jay Haru wrote:

Yeah, it's a legit copy. It's a pretty recent issue actually... I'll try to re-install it again... How about the in-game saves? Any way to retrieve them? Or are they good as dead? thanks! :geek:
you may had used either originl or dev bioswhich makes the savestate made from the other incompatible. please check on that. as for ingame saves,look if it has data on it. if it is 0kb then its dead.
Behold my mighty