Savegame problems

Ask questions about DraStic or discuss compatibility issues here.
Jay Haru
Re: Savegame problems

Post by Jay Haru » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:35 pm

wvcaudill2 wrote:Hey everyone, I just recovered from a scary savestate problem myself, which has lead me to register an account to post this question.

What is the absolute safest/best way to make a safe in Pokemon White 2? Should I only save from the in-game menu, or use the save/load function from the Drastic menu?

Thanks!
safest is just use ingame saves and never the savestates. pokemon can save anywhere so its basically a savestate
Behold my mighty

wvcaudill2

Post by wvcaudill2 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:38 pm

Jay Haru wrote:
wvcaudill2 wrote:Hey everyone, I just recovered from a scary savestate problem myself, which has lead me to register an account to post this question.

What is the absolute safest/best way to make a safe in Pokemon White 2? Should I only save from the in-game menu, or use the save/load function from the Drastic menu?

Thanks!
safest is just use ingame saves and never the savestates. pokemon can save anywhere so its basically a savestate
So I played for about 40 mins today, and was careful to save ingame before quitting. However, I just started my game back up, and it took me to the last savestate, which is not what I expected. Furthermore, when I go through the full game start up (intro seq, push start -> continue game) it takes me back to one of my earliest saves, when I'm still in Aspertia City.

Does anyone know what is going on here, or how I can recover my most recent save? I was looking at the files on my computer, and it appears as if the last time either the backup sav or savestates file was modified was around 11 am today.

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:14 pm

By default the savestates contain a snapshot of in-game save files. So if you do this:

Make an in-game save A
Make a savestate A
Make an in-game save B
Load savestate A

You won't see in-game save B because it didn't exist when you made savestate A. You can make it so in-game saves aren't stored in savestates by checking the option. But this will mean that the game can see in-game saves taken in the future. For most games that isn't a problem. For the later Pokemon games they freak out and declare your saves corrupt. That's why we changed the default behavior.

The bottom line is, using savestates and in-game saves together is a bad idea. Pick one. In-game saves are a better choice because sometimes the game will require you to make them. For long term stuff rely on them. And that includes not relying on the continue option that the emulator gives you when you load it. Because that's loading a savestate.

pokemonwhite2

Post by pokemonwhite2 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:17 pm

Hi I have this savestate of pokemon white 2

first you will noticed the soundtrack is glitches and once you try to teach magnezone the move or try to leave it the game will freeze

Please please try to fix it i've put too much time into that game :(

here is a link to the .dss file

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s3zfob1rsy6je ... %202_3.dss

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:00 pm

pokemonwhite2 wrote:Hi I have this savestate of pokemon white 2

first you will noticed the soundtrack is glitches and once you try to teach magnezone the move or try to leave it the game will freeze

Did you have cheats enabled before you made the savestate?

pokemonwhite2

Post by pokemonwhite2 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:55 pm

Exophase wrote:
pokemonwhite2 wrote:Hi I have this savestate of pokemon white 2

Did you have cheats enabled before you made the savestate?
no i havent used any cheats but i think it was enabled in the drastic settings i never disable it for some reason

is there a way to maybe fix this?

i was playing the game and it worked but i wanted to go back and teach the move instead of a different one and then it froze like that

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:26 pm

And you're using 2.1.6.2a and were using it when you made the savestate?

pokemonwhite2

Post by pokemonwhite2 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:05 am

Exophase wrote:And you're using 2.1.6.2a and were using it when you made the savestate?
Yes I'm using r2.1.6.2a

Tavarus

Post by Tavarus » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:00 pm

I'm trying to load a save file from Desmume on to Drastic. I have no idea what to do please help.

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:35 pm

Tavarus wrote:I'm trying to load a save file from Desmume on to Drastic. I have no idea what to do please help.
copy gamename.dsv from desmume/battery and place it at drastic.backup
Behold my mighty