How to edit savestate so there is no in game save?

Ask questions about DraStic or discuss compatibility issues here.
josh258
How to edit savestate so there is no in game save?

Post by josh258 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:40 pm

Samsung Galaxy S4
Latest Drastic from Play Store

Background:
Wife has over 80 hours in Pokemon Soul Silver. Savestate is right at part that you are about to fight last Elite 4 member (Lance). After you beat Lance the game is SUPPOSED to save, but it doesn't. It goes through the credits then resets, showing an ingame save from a previous short playthrough after the reset. Loading the savestate before the fight with Lance and then trying to ingame save at that point doesn't work because the game complains there is another save. I have read many posts about this but found no solution.

Hopeful resolution:
If there is a way to have the savestate altered so that it shows no ingame save then I could load the savestate and then perform a fresh ingame save so that when she beats Lance the game saves normally and then resets allowing her to start back at your mom's house directly after the elite 4 battle.

Plea:
Please if possible (via hex editor or some other way) help me to do this. Drastic is the best (by far) DS emulator for Android. I paid for it and have recommended it to everyone I know who has Android and wants to play DS games. There has got to be a way to do this. Others have this issue as well. It is a small group I'm sure but when you put that much time into a game, there isn't really any starting over.

Jay Haru

Re: How to edit savestate so there is no in game save?

Post by Jay Haru » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:45 pm

josh258 wrote:Samsung Galaxy S4
Latest Drastic from Play Store

Background:
Wife has over 80 hours in Pokemon Soul Silver. Savestate is right at part that you are about to fight last Elite 4 member (Lance). After you beat Lance the game is SUPPOSED to save, but it doesn't. It goes through the credits then resets, showing an ingame save from a previous short playthrough after the reset. Loading the savestate before the fight with Lance and then trying to ingame save at that point doesn't work because the game complains there is another save. I have read many posts about this but found no solution.

Hopeful resolution:
If there is a way to have the savestate altered so that it shows no ingame save then I could load the savestate and then perform a fresh ingame save so that when she beats Lance the game saves normally and then resets allowing her to start back at your mom's house directly after the elite 4 battle.

Plea:
Please if possible (via hex editor or some other way) help me to do this. Drastic is the best (by far) DS emulator for Android. I paid for it and have recommended it to everyone I know who has Android and wants to play DS games. There has got to be a way to do this. Others have this issue as well. It is a small group I'm sure but when you put that much time into a game, there isn't really any starting over.
there is an option in "advanced option" for what you need. as for what you wanted to work (the e4 stuff) you can probably try the workaround in the stickies after you turned it off. however, i havent really tried this one (for a long time) since i am busy testing this one game that the devs wanted a full run through and its been one heck of a grind fest.

if youre having trouble, maybe i can do something but i need to get your savestate so please upload it (somewhere where i dont need to log in coz im terribly lazy)
Behold my mighty

josh258

Post by josh258 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:49 pm

Thanks so much for your reply. I had tried the option you mentioned to keep the saves separate but the save state just didn't want to let go of that bad in game save. If it could be cleared from the save state, I think I could do a normal in game save and have everything fixed. I just don't know how.

You can download the save state from below:
https://mega.co.nz/#!QIUR3TLD!LirfTXuFZ ... rBMvuASheo

josh258

Post by josh258 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:54 pm

Hi. Just wondering if you ever got a chance to look at my save? Or have any other ideas about how to delete an in game soul silver save from the save state? Every time I delete in game save, the save state ends up bringing it back. Now my wife cannot continue after the elite 4 because the save will not work (due to an older playthrough save being associated with the new save state).

petra

Post by petra » Sun May 03, 2015 9:24 am

Hi anyone figured this out? I'm having the same problem. help please!

hassan88

Post by hassan88 » Tue May 17, 2016 12:16 am

hi all,

same issue ...

any help ??

Kyousuke753

Post by Kyousuke753 » Tue May 17, 2016 2:31 am

Tough luck I guess?

Pokemon games up to gen 3 can overwrite in-game saves.

Pokemon games gen 4 and gen 5 onwards can't overwrite the current in-,game save stored in the game. You have to first delete the current save by UP+SELECT+B together at the same time at the title screen, then you can save in-game normally.

Drastic replicates the games one game pak save only so deleting it would mean starting over again.

Pokemon Developers added this counter-measure or "lock" so people don't accidentally delete an in-game save with 100's of hours gameplay, and overwrite it with a new fresh save from the beginning. That's just how the game was made.
Last edited by Kyousuke753 on Thu May 19, 2016 7:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Tue May 17, 2016 2:49 am

Most likely what happened is that a new game was started with a save file already present, without deleting the file first. When this happens the game doesn't let you overwrite the file for some reason.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/925602-p ... n/44060080

It's not a huge problem on a real DS because people won't play that long without being able to save. But when using an emulator and relying on savestates instead this is the result.

It's hypothetically possible to hack the game somehow or use a cheat code to get around this. But unfortunately I don't know anything about how the game works and where to begin on such a hack. Just removing the save from the savestate and from the backup directory is probably not going to be enough to fix things, because the knowledge of the save's presence is already baked into the state.

It'd be great if there was finally some hack for this because it hurts a lot of emulator users who fall into this trap, but reverse engineering games is a really serious undertaking. There may already be Pokemon ROM hacking communities that have knowledge that'd make it easier to develop such a hack.

Kyousuke753

Post by Kyousuke753 » Tue May 17, 2016 2:53 am

So meaning it's not possible to extract the in=game save data from the Savestate.

Oh dear this means the OP has stepped on a landmine, by that I mean deleting the save before starting a game and since Drastic uses future Savestates its not like on a DS where it's just one game pak save.
Last edited by Kyousuke753 on Tue May 17, 2016 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Tue May 17, 2016 2:58 am

Kyousuke753 wrote:So meaning it's not possible to extract the in=game save data from the Savestate?
Sure that's possible, but that won't do any good here.