Radiant Historia, slowdown while inside the White Chronicle

Ask questions about DraStic or discuss compatibility issues here.
tomkatt
Radiant Historia, slowdown while inside the White Chronicle

Post by tomkatt » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:46 pm

During the intro sequence and any time you're inside the White Chronicle in Radiant Historia, there's major slowdown.

The game is still playable, and runs flawlessly otherwise. Have tested with and without graphics filters, and with and without the Multi-threaded rendering, it occurs regardless of settings.

Jay Haru

Re: Radiant Historia, slowdown while inside the White Chroni

Post by Jay Haru » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:14 pm

tomkatt wrote:During the intro sequence and any time you're inside the White Chronicle in Radiant Historia, there's major slowdown.

The game is still playable, and runs flawlessly otherwise. Have tested with and without graphics filters, and with and without the Multi-threaded rendering, it occurs regardless of settings.
that may or maynot be a hardware issue (unless you have uber spec device). but can you send me a savestate before said slowdown? i could try to 'benchmark' it.
Behold my mighty

tomkatt

Post by tomkatt » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:26 pm

Radiant_Historia_Gamesave.zip
(1.23KiB)Downloaded 431 times
Sorry, haven't been back here for a while. I attached the actual gamesave, since I'm not sure which savestate to provide (I have multiple).

Launch the game, load the save (note the issue happens on the initial start/continue screen). Once the save is loaded, select the save book in front of Stocke, then choose "Go to Historia" to see the issue/slowdown.

Device: Hisense Sero 7 Pro (Nexus 7 2012 equivalent, Hisense unit is slightly faster than the Nexus)
1GB RAM
Tegra 3 @ 1.3GHz (quad-core)
Rooted and debloated, but still on stock ROM.
Last edited by tomkatt on Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomkatt

Post by tomkatt » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:09 pm

Bumping for visibility, savegame and hardware specs in previous post.

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:16 pm

I'll ask Jay if he can look at it, but some more description might help get an idea of what the issue is:

1) How slow? Like, if you turn on the speed indicator what does it say?
2) What's the frameskip setting, and does increasing it change the speed much? That'll help determine what's taxing things most heavily, graphics or CPU

When a game gets much slower it could mean a high CPU load - like complex idle loops that don't get detected and do heavy things (Golden Sun is full of this), an abnormally high GPU load, or a lot of self-modifying code triggers. If it's CPU load then the next version should help a lot since the 3D and 2D renderers are threaded now. You can try it in the latest beta and see if that helps at all.

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:19 pm

sorry, forgot to do it coz of lazy time. imma check this one now.

UPDATE:
tested on a dual core cortex a-9 1.6 ghz device
Well, the game did tax my system on that particular spot(the second indicator was 50-70% the speed of actual ds)

However, setting it @ FS4 auto made it look like it was fine. As in no slowdowns experienced at all.

I didnt experience slowdown on game load though but that could probably be caused by me using beta.

I suggest you try it again using frameskip set to auto and 4.

if this doestn fix it, try getting the beta which has better multithreading capabilities.
Behold my mighty

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:42 pm

So yeah, try it on the latest beta.

tomkatt

Post by tomkatt » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:23 pm

I'm already in the beta group, just signed up to be a tester. Do I need to do anything special to download the beta client, or will my client update automatically?

Also, @Jay, when setting FS to Auto 4, will it always frameskip, or only when necessary? Currently I have frameskipping off.

Edit - Holy shit I love the new menu interface.
Last edited by tomkatt on Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:46 pm

Auto frameskip only skips when necessary, up to skipping N frames in a row where N is the number specified. Sometimes missing frames can cause glitching in games (beyond just the missing frames of course), so you have to look out for that.

tomkatt

Post by tomkatt » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:58 pm

New beta client and Auto Frameskip at 3 seems to be perfect, thanks guys.

Great work on the client exophase, I'm loving the new UI.