Regarding DraStic BIOS vs Nintendo BIOS

Ask questions about DraStic or discuss compatibility issues here.
sgtnapalm
Regarding DraStic BIOS vs Nintendo BIOS

Post by sgtnapalm » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:45 am

Which is the reccomended one to use when one has access to both? Would the official BIOS result in fewer bugs or is the DraStic BIOS somehow more "optimized" for the Android platform, for example, or are there no functional differences besides ROM encryption?

I ask this because save states do not appear to be cross-compatible between ROM versions and I had already had quite a few saves built up before I had to format my device and I want to know which is the best option going forward.

Thank you for developing a fantastic emulator! I frankly never would have guessed such a smooth DS emulator for Android would exist so soon. Keep up the great work!

Jay Haru

Re: Regarding DraStic BIOS vs Nintendo BIOS

Post by Jay Haru » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:46 am

sgtnapalm wrote:Which is the reccomended one to use when one has access to both? Would the official BIOS result in fewer bugs or is the DraStic BIOS somehow more "optimized" for the Android platform, for example, or are there no functional differences besides ROM encryption?

I ask this because save states do not appear to be cross-compatible between ROM versions and I had already had quite a few saves built up before I had to format my device and I want to know which is the best option going forward.

Thank you for developing a fantastic emulator! I frankly never would have guessed such a smooth DS emulator for Android would exist so soon. Keep up the great work!
there really isnt any difference beside the mentioned encryption. also theres no corelation between bios and savestates (except savestates using one bios inst compatible with the other) with regards to different roms as roms have different informations (like game id). i think its possible for ingame saves for games with different versions (i.e. v.1.0->v.1.1) tho i am not really sure.

EDIT: Just fyi, it seems that ingame saves are basically the only thing cross compatible between bioses and between drastic and desume. its not perfect tho but it has high compatibility.
Behold my mighty

Exophase

Re: Regarding DraStic BIOS vs Nintendo BIOS

Post by Exophase » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:54 am

The DraStic BIOS isn't optimized for anything, it's just a replacement. But it's possible that it has bugs that the Nintendo one doesn't. We had to fix one re:Cooking Mama. I don't think there's any real disadvantage to using the Nintendo ones if you have them legitimately. Some have claimed the DraStic ones result in faster emulation but I'm skeptical.