S-Pen Support?

Ask questions about DraStic or discuss compatibility issues here.
epicninja
S-Pen Support?

Post by epicninja » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:30 am

Hi all, I am getting a galaxy note 4 soon and I was wondering if you supported using the s pen as a stylus. Obviously you won't support it immediately, but if you support the note 3 stylus (and would therefore be easy to support) or have plans to support it that would be great. If you don't, is this because you haven't implemented it or because it is impossible?

Thanks!

Exophase

Re: S-Pen Support?

Post by Exophase » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:08 am

I'm not sure what you mean by support here, since I thought s-pen works with anything to produce normal touch input. Is this not the case? Or maybe you mean supporting pressure sensitive input? DS does sort of have pressure levels, but as far as I know nothing uses it except a couple homebrew apps, so it's not emulated yet.

epicninja

Post by epicninja » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:36 pm

Exophase wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by support here, since I thought s-pen works with anything to produce normal touch input. Is this not the case? Or maybe you mean supporting pressure sensitive input? DS does sort of have pressure levels, but as far as I know nothing uses it except a couple homebrew apps, so it's not emulated yet.
I don't have the phone yet as it's not released, so I can't answer about the touch input. I hope you are right. I was basically trying to ask whether I could use the pen instead of my finger to play games, as it is very close to what they are designed to be played with, and easier to use in games like legend of Zelda than a finger.

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:10 pm

I can't confirm it personally, but I've seen a few people mention that the s-pen works well with DraStic. Here's a recent example I was able to dig up:

http://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyNote3/com ... _3/ckhk9ek

That should mean that no special support is needed.

epicninja

Post by epicninja » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:19 am

Exophase wrote:I can't confirm it personally, but I've seen a few people mention that the s-pen works well with DraStic. Here's a recent example I was able to dig up:

http://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyNote3/com ... _3/ckhk9ek

That should mean that no special support is needed.
Thank you! I just wanted to make sure before I dished out $6 for an emulator that doesn't work with it.

somemadcaaant

Post by somemadcaaant » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:05 am

The Spen works but then finger touch does not from testing, either one or the other currently and this has to be enabled in the app itself to disable the auto palm rejection. Don't know why the note doesn't have the option built in.

xperia64

Post by xperia64 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:16 pm

I noticed on my Nvidia Shield Tablet the stylus can be read separately from finger touch input (I'd assume Samsung works similarly). Just an idea, but maybe have a setting so finger input only activates the on screen buttons, and stylus input only activates the touchscreen or something.

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:46 am

xperia64 wrote:I noticed on my Nvidia Shield Tablet the stylus can be read separately from finger touch input (I'd assume Samsung works similarly). Just an idea, but maybe have a setting so finger input only activates the on screen buttons, and stylus input only activates the touchscreen or something.
Dunno but that may be hardware related as I don't think there's a way the app can recognize the difference between a pen and a touch. As per the post above you the guy did mention the spen was recognized while his touch isn't so there is prolly hardware that detects the pen and separates it from the touch.
Behold my mighty

xperia64

Post by xperia64 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:33 pm

There definitely is a way. Kingsoft/WPS Office lets you sketch over documents with the pen, but scroll/perform other actions with normal finger input, without changing any settings.

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:47 am

xperia64 wrote:There definitely is a way. Kingsoft/WPS Office lets you sketch over documents with the pen, but scroll/perform other actions with normal finger input, without changing any settings.
well, i wont argue if you think so. maybe the devs can have a say if it can be applied.
Behold my mighty