OnScreen Buttons Still Landscape When Device Is In Portrait

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
xGary
OnScreen Buttons Still Landscape When Device Is In Portrait

Post by xGary » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:22 pm

Device: Nexus 7 2nd Gen.

Not sure if this is a device specific problem though I doubt it but when I am playing on my Nexus 7 in portrait, the on-screen buttons are still in landscape (the on-screen buttons are on the side of the device rather than the bottom resulting in a lot of wasted screen space). The app doesn't seem to be aware of orientation since the settings and menus are always in landscape despite the actual orientation of the device.

Here is what I mean: http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/9519/ofuw.png
Last edited by xGary on Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

the_cake_is_a_lie

Re: OnScreen Buttons Still Landscape When Device Is In Portr

Post by the_cake_is_a_lie » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:46 pm

pick portrait in the menu

xGary

Post by xGary » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:15 pm

the_cake_is_a_lie wrote:pick portrait in the menu
What do you mean? My two-screen setup is already in portrait (top+bottom as opposed to the other left+right ones).

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:59 pm

Well, there's some possibilities on this. As I don't have an android phone I am not sure so please confirm it.

For me is that while the game supports portrait mode, it is by default landscape locked. I am basing this on the fact that we had to choose the orientation rather than it be automatically done by the device (gyrocompass?).
Behold my mighty

darkaegis

Post by darkaegis » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:25 pm

I'm having the same problem on my 2013 Nexus 7, but it's causing a bit more trouble for me than a bit of lost space.

When I'm tweaking the layout in the settings menu, the navigation bar temporarily disappears and allows both DS screens to use all of the screen space on my Nexus. Problem is, when I go in-game in the vertical layout, the navigation bar appears again (horizontally oriented), pushing the DS screens a tiny bit off of the right side of my Nexus.

I'd be able to ignore it if it were just a bit of screen real estate lost, but it's a pain having button elements and other stuff hanging off the edge of the screen.

Edit: Oh yeah, looking at the screenshot it seems the same exact thing is happening to you. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:38 am

While I also experience this, I am not so much that bothered as I have a keypad and mapped the emu to my liking on landscape.

For those that does not want the 'experience' interrupted by the status/navigation/notification bar, might I suggest you use apps that hide them/makes the emu full screen? Its not the perfect solution but it might just work for you. You don't see the nav bar and you get extra screen estate.
Behold my mighty

the_cake_is_a_lie

Post by the_cake_is_a_lie » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:51 am

darkaegis wrote:I'm having the same problem on my 2013 Nexus 7, but it's causing a bit more trouble for me than a bit of lost space.
Seems to work fine on my 2012 N7 :?

darkaegis

Post by darkaegis » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:21 pm

the_cake_is_a_lie wrote:
darkaegis wrote:I'm having the same problem on my 2013 Nexus 7, but it's causing a bit more trouble for me than a bit of lost space.
Seems to work fine on my 2012 N7 :?
If you have a custom ROM, maybe you have a setting that is overriding application settings and allowing the navbar to hide or rotate properly - I'm still on stock with my 2013 N7 because the new CM isn't out of testing yet. Plus, the hardware/resolution/ROM between the two are pretty different, so it's not too confusing that it'd work fine on the 2012, but not on the 2013.
Jay Haru wrote:While I also experience this, I am not so much that bothered as I have a keypad and mapped the emu to my liking on landscape.

For those that does not want the 'experience' interrupted by the status/navigation/notification bar, might I suggest you use apps that hide them/makes the emu full screen? Its not the perfect solution but it might just work for you. You don't see the nav bar and you get extra screen estate.
It's a bit more than a minor interruption because, on my device, the lost screen real estate pushes the DS screen off of the side of my tablet - sometimes obscuring buttons and other things I need to press and see when playing. The weird part is that it autohides in the configuration screen, but it pops back up when I'm actually playing. This makes it nearly impossible to even resize around it because there's no way to autosize the windows properly.

I'd simply play landscape, but I have a bluetooth controller that I use to play non-touch games, so losing all of that screen real estate would suck.

Considering so many other apps work properly, I don't want to have to install some external fix to get it working properly in drastic, I'm sure the devs are listening and they'll figure the problem out soon enough, just figured I'd note the problem.

mindbender

Post by mindbender » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:56 pm

darkaegis wrote:It's a bit more than a minor interruption because, on my device, the lost screen real estate pushes the DS screen off of the side of my tablet - sometimes obscuring buttons and other things I need to press and see when playing. The weird part is that it autohides in the configuration screen, but it pops back up when I'm actually playing. This makes it nearly impossible to even resize around it because there's no way to autosize the windows properly.

I'd simply play landscape, but I have a bluetooth controller that I use to play non-touch games, so losing all of that screen real estate would suck.

Considering so many other apps work properly, I don't want to have to install some external fix to get it working properly in drastic, I'm sure the devs are listening and they'll figure the problem out soon enough, just figured I'd note the problem.
Basically, what you see in the portrait resize screen is displayed, just shifted.96 pixels to the right because of the navigation bar. To avoid this issue until portrait mode is implemented, when. you resize the screen leave enough blank space to the right of both screens of an amount larger or more than the height of the navigation bar (96 pixels) and keep the left edge of the screens as far to the left as possible.

off topic, but is it as difficult to type and edit on your 2013 N7 as it is on mine? Long presses are so difficult and keys I don't press get typed, I've never had this problem with any other touchscreen device. it took way too long to write this post.

AsHperson

Post by AsHperson » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:08 pm

If you really want to, install Cyanogenmod or some other rom that supports expanded desktop and use it. When I go into a game I toggle it within my power menu.