OnScreen Buttons Still Landscape When Device Is In Portrait

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
xGary
Re: OnScreen Buttons Still Landscape When Device Is In Portr

Post by xGary » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:41 pm

AsHperson wrote:If you really want to, install Cyanogenmod or some other rom that supports expanded desktop and use it. When I go into a game I toggle it within my power menu.
I will do that eventually but I just bought my N7 yesterday so I don't plan on voiding the warranty yet. Besides, I don't consider installing a custom rom a solution for standard users.

darkaegis

Post by darkaegis » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:01 pm

mindbender wrote:Basically, what you see in the portrait resize screen is displayed, just shifted.96 pixels to the right because of the navigation bar. To avoid this issue until portrait mode is implemented, when. you resize the screen leave enough blank space to the right of both screens of an amount larger or more than the height of the navigation bar (96 pixels) and keep the left edge of the screens as far to the left as possible.

off topic, but is it as difficult to type and edit on your 2013 N7 as it is on mine? Long presses are so difficult and keys I don't press get typed, I've never had this problem with any other touchscreen device. it took way too long to write this post.
Oh I know that's a possible fix, but I was struggling with manually resizing the windows so just gave up. Of course next time I play I'll do it, but hopefully the devs will address the problem before I have to do that.

No problems with my N7 and typing, although I haven't done it a ton. I heard some may have problems with their touch screens, so you might want to download a touch diagnostics app and make sure it's up to par.
AsHperson wrote:If you really want to, install Cyanogenmod or some other rom that supports expanded desktop and use it. When I go into a game I toggle it within my power menu.
That's not really an option just yet. CM is in its infancy on the 2013 Nexus 7 - there aren't even nightlies available for my device. I'm not going to hop headfirst into incredibly unstable developer versions of Cyanogenmod just to fix something that'll likely be fixed in an upcoming version of DraStic.

AsHperson

Post by AsHperson » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:29 am

xGary wrote:
I will do that eventually, but I just bought my N7 yesterday so I don't plan on voiding the warranty yet. Besides, I don't consider installing a custom rom a solution for standard users.
Ohh ho ho, you're complaining to the right person!
I'd say unlocking the bootloader is the first thing you should do because it wipes all of your userdata(makes it like when you got it in terms of the stuff that's on it, it just allows you to put your roms and stuff on later easier.) In addition to that, if you need to return it for a defect or whatever, you can lock the bootloader just as easily as unlocking it and just like that you get your warranty back.

1st question: is it the new 2013 Nexus 7? Point being, there is no official support as of yet and there might not be for a bit because it is running 4.3(CM10.2 is not out as of yet)

2nd question: do you want it all when it does come out? I can help you out with that and tell you how to do it, and everything if you add me on Hangouts. You can also ask me most other questions there and get a quick response most of the time.

Testimonial:
spoiler: Image
Full Post
Last edited by AsHperson on Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

AsHperson

Post by AsHperson » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:32 am

Then again, there is an easy fix if Exophase implements the api to hide the navigation bar(like how it does it in youtube and such.)
Ps: I will happily be a tester if you would like to try this out, Exophase.

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:44 am

darkaegis wrote:
I'd simply play landscape, but I have a bluetooth controller that I use to play non-touch games, so losing all of that screen real estate would suck.
I don't get it... you have a bluetooth contoller... that means you don't need to worry about ports unlike me. You can pair the bt joystick, play in portrait and just touch the screen when needed (you can also make the virtual pads go away.)

With regards to the status bar, As I said, it iis not the perfect solution but if you want to play unobtrusively until the emu does it, I think it is worth it.
Behold my mighty

udllpn

Post by udllpn » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:05 am

The same thing happens to me.

It should be a simple solution for a potential update to "tell" the device that portrait mode is being used instead of landscape mode, so that the navigation bar comes to the bottom and both displays are able to get bigger.

By the way, is it possible to make the navigation bar go completely dark like in other Apps (for example, Perfect Viewer)?

Lordus

Post by Lordus » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:47 am

Didn't have enough time to change this before release.
It's a bit more complicated than it seems, but it should be included in one of the next updates.

darkaegis

Post by darkaegis » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:46 pm

Jay Haru wrote:I don't get it... you have a bluetooth contoller... that means you don't need to worry about ports unlike me. You can pair the bt joystick, play in portrait and just touch the screen when needed (you can also make the virtual pads go away.)

With regards to the status bar, As I said, it iis not the perfect solution but if you want to play unobtrusively until the emu does it, I think it is worth it.
Ah, I think you're misunderstanding what we mean by "on screen buttons". Check out OP's image - the "DS" buttons are the proper orientation, but those buttons to the left, the "on-screen" navigation buttons/bar, are stuck in landscape even though the app has flipped to portrait.

This causes problems because the black bar disappears in the resize dialogue, but it reappears when gaming, pushing the incorrectly resized DS screens (because the black bar was absent) off of the side of the screen.
Lordus wrote:Didn't have enough time to change this before release.
It's a bit more complicated than it seems, but it should be included in one of the next updates.
Good to know you guys are working on it. The biggest problem is that it disappears during the resize dialogue, but pops back up during actual gameplay, pretty much messing up any resizing I've done by taking up that extra space on the left side of the screen. If you wanted a super simple solution, you could just make it so that the nav bar doesn't appear during gameplay (or make it so that it appears during resize dialogue so auto-resize properly sizes the screens).

Thanks for the response! :D

darkaegis

Post by darkaegis » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:16 pm

Just noticed something new while getting a few screenshots for the G+ group - looks like my navbar problem (the problem causing the image to be pushed off of the side of the screen) is actually caused by the proper orientation being active in the configuration process, but not while actually playing. Attached, are two screenshots that illustrate that fact and one illustrating the "no auto orientation" problem that, while not game-breaking, is still a bit annoying when I need to get to the menu in the vertical layout.

This is how it looks in config - note that it is properly vertically oriented with the navbar at the bottom allowing the screens to be resized fully left to right.

This is how it ends up looking after configuration - note the cut off right side of the screen and the improperly detected/placed navbar. Also note the space at the bottom left sized out for the vertical navbar:

Here's the minor bother bit. It's a pain to have to flip my device every time I want to get into the menu to autosave. It'd be cool if orientation were detected and properly displayed throughout the app instead of just in a select few screens.

Edit: It's very possible someone is already working on this as I don't recall seeing the nav bar being properly placed in the config screen (vertical placement). That, or I completely missed it when I was configuring it in the past, which is also possible.

mindbender

Post by mindbender » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:29 am

You just missed it, in fact it's been like that since release. My initial reply to you on the first page mentions this :D