Fps shown not accurate?

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
haomvs
Fps shown not accurate?

Post by haomvs » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:24 am

Is it just me or the fps is not very accurate?
I was playing Pokemon Heart Gold on drastic and when I reached Goldenrod city(A HUGE CITY with lots of buildings, maybe the largest in the game.), the fps is obviously not 100% and it shows 100%.

Jay Haru

Re: Fps shown not accurate?

Post by Jay Haru » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:30 am

haomvs wrote:Is it just me or the fps is not very accurate?
I was playing Pokemon Heart Gold on drastic and when I reached Goldenrod city(A HUGE CITY with lots of buildings, maybe the largest in the game.), the fps is obviously not 100% and it shows 100%.
Its probably due to frameskips that it displays as 100
Behold my mighty

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:08 pm

There are two numbers, neither of them are frames per second. I feel like just throwing out a single fps number is very confusing because people have no idea if you're talking about speed or actual rendered frames (for example nds4droid will say 60fps but can still be skipping most of the frames and you have no way of telling it from the number). So we report both things.

The number on the left says how fast the emulation is going vs a real DS. So let's say for example you're watching the opening movie in some game. If it says 50% that means it'll take twice as long to complete as it should, it's only running half as fast.

The number on the right says how much frameskip is being applied. So if it says 25% that means only one in every four frames is being rendered. If you see something like 100% 25% it means that the game speed is correct but it'll look choppy because of frameskip.

One other thing - the game could just be plain be slowing down, either it'd slow down on a real DS too or there's an error in the timing emulation that makes it emulate slower than it normally would. Usually the games would be more likely to run more smoothly than they do on a real DS instead of slower, but Pokemon HeartGold has different timing to work around problems with the emulation, and this could affect it.

What numbers are actually being reported for you?

haomvs

Post by haomvs » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:49 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpdfL0vRKxw
sorry for the poor quality.
On the left is actual ds playing the Pokémon Heart Gold version. On the right is drastic on my xperia sp.
The xperia sp started earlier but lost the speed to the ds. (Not full fps) Especially under the bridge the fps is lower(I think).
Attachments
IMG_20130912_124420[1].jpg
100% and 100% just like my Pokémon Black 2, however this is slower.
IMG_20130912_124420[1].jpg (71.82KiB)Viewed 11003 times

btr

Post by btr » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:45 pm

I have this issue too...playing New Super Mario Bros and Castlevania Portrait of Ruin on my Nexus 4 i have constant 100% on both numbers, but the games feels choppy sometimes even with frameskip off. In 2d games this is more noticeable. Looks like Drastic is skipping frames even if it is told to not. Would it be lack of vsync?

I tried with multi threaded on and off frameskip zero, auto...
Turned off sound but nothing worked.
And this is not real DS choppiness, i played both on it and runs everytime ok