Clock handling suggestion/request

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
BellerophonM

Clock handling suggestion/request

Post by BellerophonM » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:15 am

Hi;

So I know there's a lot of issues with some games (cough cough pokemon) about the way the clock works. I'd like to be able to set the internal date myself, but I know that having the clock statically set causes issues and corruption, and even when you don't Pokemon has issues with save states. Can I make a suggestion for an option?

How about if we're able to configure games to have their own individual date/time tracking, which we can set in the same way that we'd set a DS system time. And then, as we play, time advances from there normally for the game's clock. If you fast-forward at 2x, the clock passes at 2x. If you load a state, the clock sets back to the 'time' the state was saved. Loading a game up inits the clock a second after where it was for that game when we last quit it. Basically, a consistent, linear ongoing internal clock for the game independent of system time.

(This request is mostly because I want to be able to not have my Pokemon Black in Autumn but don't want to break it, I do admit.)

thundered009

Re: Clock handling suggestion/request

Post by thundered009 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:43 pm

Actually the only thing that crashes some games (corrupted saves) is when you used your system time (phone clock) and then use the built-in custom system clock of drastic ds but you backtrack the time.

It doesn't happen if you forward the time (even to the future years).

So the most effective approach to do this is to freeze the time to the exact d/m/y you input it, because there's no past/future involved (only permanent present) the game will not think you skipped something.

Freezing present time is useful in many games (Pokemon permanent season, night/day, The Sims doesn't age or use your time, etc.), competitive gameplay by manipulating RNG if exophase is going to support seconds/milliseconds on his custom system clock (right now he only supports hours/minutes) and of course tool-assisted speedrun or tool-assisted superplay (TAS).

In pc emulators (like DeSmuMe) it's possible to do this but not through their system settings but with the help of a 3rd party app that will handle a specific app to freeze its time (I already did it for the purpose of RNG manipulation). In android, it's not possible to do this (using 3rd party app) because google intentionally block it for the purpose of not using this approach in illegal ways (like circumventing trialware app by resetting it).

Thus far, there's no emulator that supports this feature built-in to their app (even emulators modified by TAS groups).