Does having 100% framerate with 0 frameskip + low latency = THE REAL DS ?

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
Smurfin
Does having 100% framerate with 0 frameskip + low latency = THE REAL DS ?

Post by Smurfin » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:28 pm

Does having 100% framerate with 0 frameskip+latency equal to THE REAL DS ?

Except that the framerate changes all the time ranging from 99.1% to even 101.9%. (The option says framerate but not showing 30/60 fps like fps usually is, but using %)

Coz I'm playing Rhythm Heaven and also Trauma Center and wonder whether I play bad because I actually play bad or latency is also a factor. But I'm pretty sure it's close to the real thing coz I managed to get some gold medals on some stages.

SSUPII

Re: Does having 100% framerate with 0 frameskip + low latency = THE REAL DS ?

Post by SSUPII » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:07 pm

You can say it is very accurate, but of course not the real DS.

About how the framerate is shown:
The first % is how fast the game is running compared to his original speed.
100% is full speed, 200% is double speed, 50% is half speed etc.
This is of course a calculation, it is normal for it to keep changing around 100% while the game is pretty much original speed.
I still don't fully understand the second %, but I guess it is related to the phone's resources.

About the latency:
Latency is a huge factor and while emulating something it increases, and we can't do much about it.
The emulator can be the fastest and most optimized one, but it will always be fractions of milliseconds slower then the real console, something you can't notice.

So, TLDR... Drastic could be a DS, but at the same time is not the DS
TETRIS FRIENDS IS DEAD
Spoiler!
Here is a good boy!
ImageImage
Spoiler!
Another good boy!ImageImage

Smurfin

Re: Does having 100% framerate with 0 frameskip + low latency = THE REAL DS ?

Post by Smurfin » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:39 pm

SSUPII wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:07 pm
You can say it is very accurate, but of course not the real DS.

About how the framerate is shown:
The first % is how fast the game is running compared to his original speed.
100% is full speed, 200% is double speed, 50% is half speed etc.
This is of course a calculation, it is normal for it to keep changing around 100% while the game is pretty much original speed.
I still don't fully understand the second %, but I guess it is related to the phone's resources.

About the latency:
Latency is a huge factor and while emulating something it increases, and we can't do much about it.
The emulator can be the fastest and most optimized one, but it will always be fractions of milliseconds slower then the real console, something you can't notice.

So, TLDR... Drastic could be a DS, but at the same time is not the DS
I see, I'm still amazed that I can play Rhythm Tengoku on it, a game that relies heavily on latency. And emulator has save states to compensate its lack of anything to the real thing.

How about the touch screens ?
NDS has resistive touch screen while android phone has capacitive touch screen.
- A test on some phones shows that capacitive touch screen has more than 100ms delay as shown here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt64YukdS28
- while Resistive touch screen is much worse shown in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-TaUCZ3az0 , or it could be that the resistive touch screen used in the vid is far more inferior to the one used in NDS.
- and this is an example of a very very very very low latency touch screen, damn I wish I could play drastic with that kind of touchscreen lol. https://youtu.be/t1VcC9_yhc0?t=100