Page 1 of 1

Stuttering and audio hiccups with LG G6

Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:04 pm
by tomkatt
Not sure what the issue is. I've run the emulator fine on much less powerful hardware, but I'm having issues on the LG G6. It's got a Snapdragon 821 so should be more than powerful enough. Is there some setting I'm missing that could be causing this?

Re: Stuttering and audio hiccups with LG G6

Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:02 am
by SSUPII
Try increasing the audio latency to an higher setting.

Re: Stuttering and audio hiccups with LG G6

Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:27 am
by kaikun97
If the latecy doesn't help and you get particularily laggy audio when going through transitions in games, you may be running the game off an external MicroSD card that is too slow or you are playing the game from a zip file (unzipping it to the NDS file may help).

Re: Stuttering and audio hiccups with LG G6

Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:25 am
by tomkatt
kaikun97 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:27 am
If the latecy doesn't help and you get particularily laggy audio when going through transitions in games, you may be running the game off an external MicroSD card that is too slow or you are playing the game from a zip file (unzipping it to the NDS file may help).
Latency changes had minimal impact. It reduced the stutters but didn't eliminate it. However, moving the game to internal storage seems to have done the trick. Odd, it's a fast enough card (Sandisk Ultra 32GB UHS-I) but I guess maybe it's reaching the end of its useful lifespan or something. I have been beating it up with file transfers and copies of lots of large files (game ROMs and video) for several years now, since like 2014 or 2015.

Re: Stuttering and audio hiccups with LG G6

Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:45 am
by Jay Haru
tomkatt wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:25 am
kaikun97 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:27 am
If the latecy doesn't help and you get particularily laggy audio when going through transitions in games, you may be running the game off an external MicroSD card that is too slow or you are playing the game from a zip file (unzipping it to the NDS file may help).
Latency changes had minimal impact. It reduced the stutters but didn't eliminate it. However, moving the game to internal storage seems to have done the trick. Odd, it's a fast enough card (Sandisk Ultra 32GB UHS-I) but I guess maybe it's reaching the end of its useful lifespan or something. I have been beating it up with file transfers and copies of lots of large files (game ROMs and video) for several years now, since like 2014 or 2015.
must have cost top dollar seeing a U-1 (if i am reading this correctly) at 2015 is rare

Re: Stuttering and audio hiccups with LG G6

Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:04 pm
by tomkatt
Jay Haru wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:45 am
tomkatt wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:25 am
kaikun97 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:27 am
If the latecy doesn't help and you get particularily laggy audio when going through transitions in games, you may be running the game off an external MicroSD card that is too slow or you are playing the game from a zip file (unzipping it to the NDS file may help).
Latency changes had minimal impact. It reduced the stutters but didn't eliminate it. However, moving the game to internal storage seems to have done the trick. Odd, it's a fast enough card (Sandisk Ultra 32GB UHS-I) but I guess maybe it's reaching the end of its useful lifespan or something. I have been beating it up with file transfers and copies of lots of large files (game ROMs and video) for several years now, since like 2014 or 2015.
must have cost top dollar seeing a U-1 (if i am reading this correctly) at 2015 is rare
Not sure. I think at the time I probably paid $40 or around that for it but it was worth it to me (obviously considering how long I've beat it up. First mSD card I've ever had "fail" in any way). Can't find the order history on it so I must not have gotten it from Amazon like I usually do for stuff like this.

Just ordered two 64GB Samsung Evo mSD cards as replacements (one for my tablet and one for the phone). These things have gotten really cheap. A few months back I got a 128GB one for like $25 for my 2DS XL and now each of these were only $12 for a UHS-I U3. I considered an A2 card for adoptable storage but it looks like adoptable storage is still crap after some research so just passed on the extra cost for it.

Re: Stuttering and audio hiccups with LG G6

Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:14 pm
by xperia64
I am still fairly certain this is the big.LITTLE CPU scheduler/governor being terrible. Try downloading some single threaded benchmarking/stress software, and disable frameskip to really see the difference.

I picked "CPU Load Generator" from Google Play at random.
With no additional load to keep the scheduler awake, the Spirit Tracks intro on my OP5T dips down as low as 60%. By enabling one thread of load from that app, it remains fluid centered around 100% speed.

Storage is plenty fast these days, so I highly doubt that's the issue. Unless it's like a Class 2 or Class 6 SD card.

Re: Stuttering and audio hiccups with LG G6

Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:18 pm
by tomkatt
xperia64 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:14 pm
I am still fairly certain this is the big.LITTLE CPU scheduler/governor being terrible. Try downloading some single threaded benchmarking/stress software, and disable frameskip to really see the difference.

I picked "CPU Load Generator" from Google Play at random.
With no additional load to keep the scheduler awake, the Spirit Tracks intro on my OP5T dips down as low as 60%. By enabling one thread of load from that app, it remains fluid centered around 100% speed.

Storage is plenty fast these days, so I highly doubt that's the issue. Unless it's like a Class 2 or Class 6 SD card.
It could be big.LITTLE as well, since the G6 is known for throttling. But even throttled it generally meets or exceeds Drastic's requirements (seems to throttle down between 1.4 and 1.8GHz from viewing CPU-Z on it). And moving the game to internal storage took it from multiple stutters and hiccups on every battle (including during attack animations as well as screen transitions) to no stutters at all.

Re: Stuttering and audio hiccups with LG G6

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:49 pm
by tomkatt
tomkatt wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:18 pm
xperia64 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:14 pm
I am still fairly certain this is the big.LITTLE CPU scheduler/governor being terrible. Try downloading some single threaded benchmarking/stress software, and disable frameskip to really see the difference.

I picked "CPU Load Generator" from Google Play at random.
With no additional load to keep the scheduler awake, the Spirit Tracks intro on my OP5T dips down as low as 60%. By enabling one thread of load from that app, it remains fluid centered around 100% speed.

Storage is plenty fast these days, so I highly doubt that's the issue. Unless it's like a Class 2 or Class 6 SD card.
It could be big.LITTLE as well, since the G6 is known for throttling. But even throttled it generally meets or exceeds Drastic's requirements (seems to throttle down between 1.4 and 1.8GHz from viewing CPU-Z on it). And moving the game to internal storage took it from multiple stutters and hiccups on every battle (including during attack animations as well as screen transitions) to no stutters at all.

Okay, I got my new 64GB UHS-I U3 cards and did some testing.... and it sucks. No idea what the issue is, but the new card doesn't perform any better than the old 32GB one. Good thing I definitely needed more storage anyway or that would have been a wasted purchase. Moving the ROM to internal storage is literally the only thing that improves the performance. Using CPU Load Generator actually makes performance worse. No change with one load on, and it tanks out badly with two.

This is the weirdest issue I've ever had with an Android device. I'm well above spec for Drastic and I have an old Intel tablet that performs as well or better at this point than my G6 does.

Anyone know any possible settings that might help, outside of audio latency?