95%
Let DraStic fade away
5%

Total votes: 63

PatchAdams
Re: Drastic's Future

Post by PatchAdams » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:47 pm

Exophase wrote:Probably not the most satisfying answers and really late, but:

1) xperia64 and I are working on a release this month, although it'll be fairly minor and include some stuff Android is requiring that unfortunately doesn't translate into anything useful for users
2) Android is requiring 64-bit support by next August, this is a really large amount of work and I wanted to see if I could get it done before relinquishing development/open sourcing. It's another kind of thing that'll need several hundred hours of work but won't actually produce much interesting along the way... maybe performance improvements if lucky?
3) I'm interested in Switch but it actually also only runs 64-bit binaries, so see #2.
That's really great to hear :) I know it's not an outright confirmation of Drastic on Switch but it's good you are at least considering it.
So thanks for that.

PatchAdams

Post by PatchAdams » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:09 pm

The Switch just got OpenGL support!!

https://devkitpro.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8780

This can only help a Switch port of Drastic no? :)

dsattorney

Post by dsattorney » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:54 am

Maybe. It really depends on Exo willing to make it.
OBJECTION!

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:38 pm

dsattorney wrote:Maybe. It really depends on Exo willing to make it.
Well, anyone could make it if they wanted to and knew how, but they should definitely get his permission first.

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

kaikun97

Post by kaikun97 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:29 am

PatchAdams wrote:The Switch just got OpenGL support!!

Drastic DS uses Software Rendering. OpenGL would only help for custom filters.

From the Drastic DS FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=2
Q: Does DraStic use my GPU to render graphics? Does it help to have a faster GPU
A: The GPU is only used to scale the image and apply filters so having a better one won't make much difference. OpenGL ES is not used to render the Nintendo DS graphics. This is because of idiosynchracies in the DS graphics hardware that would make this style of emulation incomplete and/or slow.

PatchAdams

Post by PatchAdams » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:07 am

kaikun97 wrote:
PatchAdams wrote:The Switch just got OpenGL support!!

Drastic DS uses Software Rendering. OpenGL would only help for custom filters.

From the Drastic DS FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=2
Q: Does DraStic use my GPU to render graphics? Does it help to have a faster GPU
A: The GPU is only used to scale the image and apply filters so having a better one won't make much difference. OpenGL ES is not used to render the Nintendo DS graphics. This is because of idiosynchracies in the DS graphics hardware that would make this style of emulation incomplete and/or slow.

Drastic uses Software Rendering? Well that just shows how impressive it really is, maybe GL wont help in the longrun for a Switch port then :P but it is still a BIG release for the Switch. OpenGL will help more powerful Emulators make their way onto Switch. :)

#Shake

Post by #Shake » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:19 am

Nice to see that you're interested on Nintendo switch, hopefully it will be a matter of time, drastic is by far the best nds emulator in my opinion...

I still remember the day it dropped, insta bought it, it was amazing.... good times.... Hopefully i can relive that on the Switch..

Exo did you ever considered working in a 3ds emu for Android? We got Citra for pc, but seems that aren't any plans of an android version..

SSUPII

Post by SSUPII » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:32 am

#Shake wrote:Exo did you ever considered working in a 3ds emu for Android? We got Citra for pc, but seems that aren't any plans of an android version..
Exo is not interested in doing a 3DS emulator at the moment. Citra developers decided to focus on making the emulator better on PC first (since it still needs some work), also a direct port of Citra on Android is not possible due to some dependencies available only on PC.
TETRIS FRIENDS IS DEAD
Spoiler!
Here is a good boy!
ImageImage
Spoiler!
Another good boy!ImageImage

Platybus

Post by Platybus » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:29 pm

It's funny to see the 30/1 ratio in the poll.

SSUPII

Post by SSUPII » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:06 pm

Platybus wrote:It's funny to see the 30/1 ratio in the poll.
That is actually a pretty pointless poll.
TETRIS FRIENDS IS DEAD
Spoiler!
Here is a good boy!
ImageImage
Spoiler!
Another good boy!ImageImage