character set in DraStic

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
Someone
character set in DraStic

Post by Someone » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:49 pm

I use DraStic to play some Chinese games localized by non-official groups, and I also have Chinese cheats for them. While the games run without any problems, the cheats can hardly be used. It seems that the cheat database in the game menu does not support Chinese characters and all texts become meaningless characters impossible to read. I am sure those cheat codes are good as I have been using them on my R4 for years, so I think the only problem here is the character set in DraStic. Is there any way to fix this?

xperia64

Re: character set in DraStic

Post by xperia64 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:59 am

Those cheats are likely using either GBK or BIG5 for their encoding (heck, I guess they could be UTF-8 for all I know), and I don't believe DraStic handles non-ASCII cheat names at the moment.

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:17 am

xperia64 wrote:Those cheats are likely using either GBK or BIG5 for their encoding (heck, I guess they could be UTF-8 for all I know), and I don't believe DraStic handles non-ASCII cheat names at the moment.
I am guessing if you can get the resource rom (the original-i.e. a japanese rom, a us rom or a euro rom) then the cheat for that will work since you said it was a non official retranslation? I am not quite sure tho but this is what i can think as an alternate to what xperia said
Behold my mighty

Someone

Post by Someone » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:03 am

Jay Haru wrote:
xperia64 wrote:Those cheats are likely using either GBK or BIG5 for their encoding (heck, I guess they could be UTF-8 for all I know), and I don't believe DraStic handles non-ASCII cheat names at the moment.
I am guessing if you can get the resource rom (the original-i.e. a japanese rom, a us rom or a euro rom) then the cheat for that will work since you said it was a non official retranslation? I am not quite sure tho but this is what i can think as an alternate to what xperia said
That is not really a solution, as I want to play games in my native language. Besides, I use the R4 cheat code editor to check my cheat database, and I find out that the JPN, USA, CHN roms have different entries of different rom ID, which means I cannot use cheats for the CHN rom on the JPN or USA one.
By the way, The R4 cheat code editor decode the database in SJIS.

Someone

Post by Someone » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:25 am

Finally get it working... Here is how I solve this:

1. Open my cheat database in the right character set (SJIS) and export it to xml in UTF-8
2. Close the R4 cheat code editor and reopen it. Import the xml file
3. Export it to dat in UTF-8

I tried directly save it as dat but does not work... Really strange...

The next problem is, now that I have several cheat database, there is the need to switch between them. The DraStic itself does not offer direct ways to do this, and I have to copy/paste/rename the desired database to DraStic/usrcheat.dat every time I switch it... Merging databases is a troublesome work as there are lots of overlaps... Can the developer team add an option to select cheat database in the next update? I think this is a very easy work.