Potential new DraStic features?

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
zeroobligation
Re: Potential new DraStic features?

Post by zeroobligation » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:52 am

Causality wrote:Being able to render at higher resolutions would be amazing...

<big image from previous post clipped>
I believe Exophase said he was looking into it. :)
But WOW, that high res looks GORGEOUS! I wonder how demanding it will be, though. Will it be able to still run at a reasonable framerate? Either way, can't wait!

kaikun97

Post by kaikun97 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:10 pm

zeroobligation wrote:
Causality wrote:Being able to render at higher resolutions would be amazing...

<big image from previous post clipped>
I believe Exophase said he was looking into it. :)
But WOW, that high res looks GORGEOUS! I wonder how demanding it will be, though. Will it be able to still run at a reasonable framerate? Either way, can't wait!
[/quote]

I really want to Play loveplus at a higher resolution regardless of lag. I just hope exophase will add it

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:37 pm

Okay everyone, please stop quoting the gigantic 2048x768 image. Thanks :P

zeroobligation

Post by zeroobligation » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:30 pm

lol. My bad :P
By the way while we are still on this subject(high res 3D rendering,) I noticed when messing around with Desmume, it has an anti-aliasing option that, when turned on, makes 3d objects look ALOT nicer, too, even on NDS's native display resolution. Just out of curiosity, is it possible to implement AA in software rendering, and if it'd be faster or slower than upping the resolution?

huckleberrypie

Post by huckleberrypie » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:02 pm

zeroobligation wrote:lol. My bad :P
By the way while we are still on this subject(high res 3D rendering,) I noticed when messing around with Desmume, it has an anti-aliasing option that, when turned on, makes 3d objects look ALOT nicer, too, even on NDS's native display resolution. Just out of curiosity, is it possible to implement AA in software rendering, and if it'd be faster or slower than upping the resolution?
It would slow things down given how traditional AA has always been expensive. It would probably be less of an overhead with FXAA though.

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:01 am

The Nintendo DS GPU has edge anti-aliasing, and a lot of 3D games enable it. It's kind of a mystery why they chose this over texture filtering. The way it works is totally different from traditional methods like SSAA or MSAA, instead it involves sorting the top two pixels and blending them with coverage-to-alpha.

DeSmuME's software renderer doesn't emulate it, the feature in the OpenGL renderer is totally different from how DS AA works. And if you use the OpenGL renderer it means accepting other issues. To the best of my knowledge, only dasShiny emulates DS-style AA. I've been thinking a lot about trying to emulate it, but there are some tests I want to do on DS hardware first to get a better idea of some of the implementation details. It could take a while. The performance cost would likely be high, meaning there'd probably be an option to disable it.

One other thing, a lot of games use AA in conjunction with edge marking, which means that edge marking without AA doesn't really look right. I've been experimenting with a few games and I still think that non-AA marked edges is better than no marked edges at all, but I have to see what makes the most sense. And I'd like to make sure that these things are all figured out before I attempt high-res rendering.

I'm sure something like FXAA could be done in a shader with little cost, but I'm not sure how good it'd look with DS graphics.

kent

Post by kent » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:51 pm

i hope that the developer add the hq3x and hq4x shader as playing with 1280x720 is not that clear as 480x800 screen resolution.. i hope to get same graphic result when playing on 480x800 and hd screen..

Vanitycraft

Post by Vanitycraft » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:28 am

Features that enable drastic to use 2 android tablet for screen display via bluetooth or wifi connectivity(very useful for pair of 7 inch tablet or a pair of 7 inch tablet and small screen android phone)

Lauriic54

Post by Lauriic54 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:52 am

This is not in DraStic as far as I know, but it would be cool if you could keep roms on Google Drive or Dropbox. Save some space on your device.

Causality

Post by Causality » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:21 pm

exophase wrote:High-res rendering would be something I would work on. Since DraStic does all rendering on the CPU instead of the GPU (there are good reasons for this) it would mean that the CPU expense of 3D rendering would increase roughly proportionately to the resolution increase. Some but not all parts of the 2D rendering would also increase proportionately. When you say 2x resolution, you probably mean in both the X and Y directions, so rendering at 512x384 instead of the DS's native 256x192. This would result in four times the number of pixels and roughly four times the amount of work in the areas I mentioned. Current high end quad cores may be just fast enough to handle this for some games, although I can't really say that for sure. Higher resolutions like 768x576 would be almost entirely out of the question.

I do want to play around with this soon, especially since I'm not aware of any other DS emulator currently doing it
Welp, it's been a year since then and phones are quite a bit faster now. Hows about we get some experimental high-resolution rendering?