Potential new DraStic features?

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
TimmyP
Re: Potential new DraStic features?

Post by TimmyP » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:20 pm

Jay Haru wrote:
TimmyP wrote:An extremely awesome, and highly necessary feature that probably wouldn't be too hard to add:

***Flip from landscape to portrait done automatically.***

Playing DQ9 (and other rpgs) where the battles require two screens, whereas simply walking about does not.

I wish I could turn my phone 90 degrees when I encounter a battle, and have it switch to the portrait, dual screen mode. Without having to go through the menu to change, or flip between screens.

When the battle is over, turn it back and it returns to full screen portrait, single screen mode.

Great emu btw, blows my mind!
I doubt what you want is 'simple'...
There are dozens of emulators that change from landscape to portrait (and vice versa) on the fly. Btw, I never implied adding this most important feature would be "simple" anywhere in my comment. That being said, I don't believe it would be that difficult considering both screens are being emulated at all times.

EDIT: Try it with Snesoid. Make sure "auto-rotate" is checked Android settings->Display. Now, load a rom in Snesoid, turn the screen 90 degress and, in real time, it changes display to portrait or landscape. All without having to go into a menu.

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:33 pm

I still don't think its not as not too difficult as you say. You said it yourself. It emulates two screens simultaneously. Unlike a single screen, ds also has a touch screen one that needs to aslo be emulated. Its not just screen one goes here and the other goes there. If coded wrongly, and some games actually makes it happen, the windows switch wrongly and the touch screen goes bonkers.

Personally, I think priority is to make more games playable as the most popular ones like pokemons still have a few hiccups.
Behold my mighty

TimmyP

Post by TimmyP » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:45 pm

Jay Haru wrote:I still don't think its not as not too difficult as you say. You said it yourself. It emulates two screens simultaneously. Unlike a single screen, ds also has a touch screen one that needs to aslo be emulated. Its not just screen one goes here and the other goes there. If coded wrongly, and some games actually makes it happen, the windows switch wrongly and the touch screen goes bonkers.

Personally, I think priority is to make more games playable as the most popular ones like pokemons still have a few hiccups.
Yes. All emulators have bugs. Every single one of them on any system. My feature request is a native Android feature.

Lordus

Post by Lordus » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:36 pm

TimmyP wrote:
Jay Haru wrote:I still don't think its not as not too difficult as you say. You said it yourself. It emulates two screens simultaneously. Unlike a single screen, ds also has a touch screen one that needs to aslo be emulated. Its not just screen one goes here and the other goes there. If coded wrongly, and some games actually makes it happen, the windows switch wrongly and the touch screen goes bonkers.

Yes. All emulators have bugs. Every single one of them on any system. My feature request is a native Android feature.
It's not hard to add, but i left it out on purpose.
If it's added there also needs to be an option to turn it off, and every added option and feature makes it more complex and harder to use for the average user.
Many DS games use the screens in different ways, sometimes you need to hold the DS like a book, so you don't want it to auto-rotate when you hold it in landscape mode.

udllpn

Post by udllpn » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:57 pm

Lordus wrote:It's not hard to add, but i left it out on purpose.
If it's added there also needs to be an option to turn it off, and every added option and feature makes it more complex and harder to use for the average user.
Many DS games use the screens in different ways, sometimes you need to hold the DS like a book, so you don't want it to auto-rotate when you hold it in landscape mode.
I would also like an option to auto-rotate the screen.
The best way to make it accesible for the average user could be to add an option in the config screen making it possible, but leaving the way things are now as the default mode (in case they play games that require to hold the console as a book, as you said). The important thing would be that advanced users could have the option to change automatically the orientation.

TimmyP

Post by TimmyP » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:02 pm

I actually just wrote a script in tasker that does this. Its not perfect, but when I flip the screen it works most of the time. (need a rooted phone; it simulates screen presses)

beansta

Post by beansta » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:43 pm

Orrrrr u could just download an app called 'universal rotation control' that could achieve this for u
Devices running Android:

- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (CM12.1, overclocked, undervolted)
- Asus Nexus 7 2013 (Stock Marshmallow...to play Pokemon GO on...)
- Tenfifteen QW09 SmartWatch (Kitkat)
- Fujitsu Lifebook T4410 Touchscreen Laptop (Remix OS 3.0)

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:46 pm

I stand corrected in the arguement then. Seems ii really am still just a novice programmer :/
Behold my mighty

WalkThisWay

Post by WalkThisWay » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:21 am

AsHperson wrote:
Sean wrote:
BeastieBoy wrote:Ability to map the changing of control schemes(stylus+pad, stylus only, pad only) to a hardware key so we can switch more easily.
+1 I want this too, and it shouldn't be too hard to implement.
make that +2(wouldn't this all be easier if it were a G+ community or a Google Group?)
+3

awk

Post by awk » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:15 am

Lordus wrote: It's not hard to add, but i left it out on purpose.
I suspect people using emulators are usually fine with meddling in settings! Especially one like this one which is a setting you find in the OS itself, people would know what it means. It could also be a game specific settings, like layouts are. (Any intention of making frameskip game specific as well?)

I agree it would be a good addition for some games that only require the double screens from time to time! I probably wouldn't use it on the Xperia Play because it's forced into an orientation by the buttons, but I can see its advantage, Sword and Sorcery style. I would probably still prefer a on-the-fly screen resize possibility (like I suggested in that concept)

Maybe a solution would be to have an "advanced" category in settings, for all the extra options?
Ashperson wrote:
Sean wrote:+1 I want this too, and it shouldn't be too hard to implement.
make that +2(wouldn't this all be easier if it were a G+ community or a Google Group?)
Or a reddit post? :p