Potential new DraStic features?

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
Lordus
Re: Potential new DraStic features?

Post by Lordus » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:19 pm

mindbender wrote:I had thought there was a slight disconnect between autorotation and the selectable orientations in the full menu, but upon further testing just now maybe this was the way you intended it to be.

If my device is being held in portrait orientation, picking one of the landscape orientations does nothing until I turn the device sideways, but when the device is sideways and I pick the portrait orientation from the menu it switches to that fine. I don't have any problems with it personally after figuring it out.

Also, when I updated and played a game in portrait for the first time, the virtual keys were borked and all I could see were vertically stretched L and R buttons. Resetting the key layout fixed the issue. I believe I did tweak the layout in portrait while using the previous version so this may have been the cause.

While you're here, please consider tweaking the colors in the full menu slightly? White on light gray doesn't have good contrast and is a little hard to read. Other than that, the new pop up menu functionality seems great! Much easier to use on tablets.
Yes it's intended to be like that. It's practically always auto-rotating as long as you have a landscape layout selected. Only when you select the portrait layout it's fixed to portrait mode.
Why? Because you might want to use the portrait mode, but still hold the device sideways to play certain games that require the DS to be held like a book.

In other words, all the layout selections are only needed as long as you hold the device sideways. If you hold it in portrait orientation, it will always use the portrait layout anyway.

Infinitelyblank

Post by Infinitelyblank » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:17 pm

Lordus, this new UI is damn swank and fine as hell. Not sure what the 3 squares with arrows extending outwards button is supposed to do, but everything else looks fantastic.

Lordus

Post by Lordus » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:36 pm

Infinitelyblank wrote:Lordus, this new UI is damn swank and fine as hell. Not sure what the 3 squares with arrows extending outwards button is supposed to do, but everything else looks fantastic.
It switches between 2 screen and 1 screen layouts. Only works in landscape mode, though.

Meepoe

Post by Meepoe » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:59 pm

Pokemon event codes that work would be nice.

Chex

Post by Chex » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:04 am

While I was watching this, I thought of one. How about some sort of border/background feature, so that when the screens are separated, there's more than just a black bar/empty space to look at? Sort of like what the Super Game Boy and Game Boy Player had.

elastrojim

Post by elastrojim » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:55 pm

Hi guys, I was playing warioware touched but i got stuck when microgames required the use of thr mic. (Microphone) function is there anyway to activated, I also tried to use a handsfree wired and the mic does not respond, emulating on LG G pro Lite 4.1OS

zxcvbad

Post by zxcvbad » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:48 pm

Lordus, any plans adding 2x/4x upscale resolution as an option for devices on s800/tegra 4. Our could you be more specific regarding this. I know it will be much power demanding, will 4x even be possible on current soc's?

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:12 pm

zxcvbad wrote:Lordus, any plans adding 2x/4x upscale resolution as an option for devices on s800/tegra 4. Our could you be more specific regarding this. I know it will be much power demanding, will 4x even be possible on current soc's?
I'm assuming what you're asking for is rendering 3D content at a higher resolution. Just saying this because upscaling usually just means making the image bigger with some kind of interpolation/filtering algorithm (which the emulator already has).

High-res rendering would be something I would work on. Since DraStic does all rendering on the CPU instead of the GPU (there are good reasons for this) it would mean that the CPU expense of 3D rendering would increase roughly proportionately to the resolution increase. Some but not all parts of the 2D rendering would also increase proportionately. When you say 2x resolution, you probably mean in both the X and Y directions, so rendering at 512x384 instead of the DS's native 256x192. This would result in four times the number of pixels and roughly four times the amount of work in the areas I mentioned. Current high end quad cores may be just fast enough to handle this for some games, although I can't really say that for sure. Higher resolutions like 768x576 would be almost entirely out of the question.

I do want to play around with this soon, especially since I'm not aware of any other DS emulator currently doing it (although I know at least one of the desmume devs expressed interest). Unfortunately, right now I have a list of bugs that needs to be taken care of first.

TnA.Plastic

Post by TnA.Plastic » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:20 pm

Already posted the idea in another thread, but since this one is intended for feature-request, I thought I'd post it here for anyone to see and discuss.

Would it be possible to "exchange & extend" the fast-forward in the in-emulation-menu by something like this
http://data.motor-talk.de/data/gallerie ... mpomat.jpg
or a "regulstor" instead of a simple on/off-button?

Let's say you make a "round slide" across it to the right to turn speed up and to the left to turn it down.
This way we could very simply change fastforward-speed and only enter one submenu and quickly can get back to the game instead of atleast entering 4 submenus and exiting then again.

...Or maybe it can even be shown in game (optionaly)?
If ingame, it could even show the actual game-speed and if it reaches the desired framerate (for example by different colors).
Outer Ring for turning up/down, middle-ring for 1st screen-speed, inner ring for touch-screen-speed. Would be quite cool, thought!

Btw.: Hi-res sounds interesting. Maybe it is even possible to get some "pseudo-hi-res", which hopefully needs much less resources but hopefully still produces results quite close to real hi-res.

The Filter only magnifies the picture, right?
...or what does it actually do?

zxcvbad

Post by zxcvbad » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:14 pm

Exophase, that's exactly what I've asked about. Thanks for explanation, very interesting.