New super mario bros origins

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
XBigBoss
New super mario bros origins

Post by XBigBoss » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:32 pm

Hello, i have a problem, i can't run this game on this awesome emulator, how can i run it? kind regards

ericbazinga

Re: New super mario bros origins

Post by ericbazinga » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:48 am

XBigBoss wrote:Hello, i have a problem, i can't run this game on this awesome emulator, how can i run it? kind regards
What's the problem specifically? Is it that you don't have the game and want to know how to play it? Or do you have the ROM already and somehow can't run it?

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

Kyousuke753

Post by Kyousuke753 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:38 am

Where ever you got your ROM from it's a bad one, Google around for one that works.

XBigBoss

Post by XBigBoss » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:20 pm

Thanks a lot for taking your time for answer my post, and sorry for not been clear, i patched the US rom(0434 new super mario bros US.nds) with the patch from the page of SKJmin, and use the xdelta tool, when it finishes the patch which is succesful, i transfer it to my micro sd and try to play it on drastic, but then it appears on the screen "could not erase data, turn the power off and reinsert the game card" kind regards

XBigBoss

Post by XBigBoss » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:30 pm

with this rom (0434 new super mario bros US.nds) i patched it with new super mario advance 2 and was succesful, because drastic can run it.

TkSilver

Post by TkSilver » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:26 pm

Because Drastic is not an accurate (it does not run code exactly how a Nintendo DS does) emulator, some patches may not work correctly and over the years even some games that had a smaller audience were even known to have issues that may have been fixed by now.

Odds are exo would have to look at the patch and figure out what it changes in the way New SMB works and find a way to allow for it to successfully run without breaking the original game in the process. Now that this has been brought to his attention, the next step would be for a few people with different devices to test it and make sure it is the game (with the patch) acting up with the emulator and not the game + your specific hardware causing the issue since those are 2 different types of issues and fixes that would be needed. After this then what makes it fail would have to be found (probably using logs and savestates... and then hopefully DraStic can gain some extra compatibility.

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:27 pm

The reason why the game didn't work is because it wasn't in the save file database.

DraStic looks up games in this database based on a couple of fields in the header: title and ID. If it can't match on both it'll try to match on just one.

From what I've seen most ROM hacks leave these fields unmodified from the original game, but for some reason NSMB ROM hacks don't. I've added a few of them to the database, but new ones keep changing these fields.

But if you'd like, you can add the game manually to the database (game_database.xml).

XBigBoss

Post by XBigBoss » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:15 pm

Really really thanks a lot for answer, i would gladly add the game manually to the database, but how can i do it? Keep having a good day!!!!!!

XBigBoss

Post by XBigBoss » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:20 pm

And by the way, thank you for all your kindness

XBigBoss

Post by XBigBoss » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:11 pm

Hello again, how can i add the game manually? Kind regards