need some save file help plz

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
arceus69
need some save file help plz

Post by arceus69 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:47 pm

so, on my current android phone, i am playing pokemon platinum on drastic. app is perfect and there r no problems. im getting a new android phone and i am putting my current sim into my new phone and i fer losing my current save file.

what do i have to do to keep my save file and not lose anything that i have done on the game so far?

TkSilver

Re: need some save file help plz

Post by TkSilver » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:25 pm

This will depend a bit on your exact phone model (both the old and new one) but I can give you general help and you can google if you need specific help.

1. First off load up drastic and any game you want to transfer the save from and make an "in game save" the kind you would make on a Nintendo DS system.... not a savestate. This should hopefully make sure you have the least issues.

2. This step is where your exact phone matters. The easiest method I know is if both phones support microSD cards and you have one. Next would be if you can read your phone's internal memory on a computer. After that using a NAS (network attached storage) would probably be 3rd easiest. And then last would be wireless transfer (bluetooth/wifi direct) between the 2 phones, but this can be frustrating depending on how the phones were made.

I will go over the most general and easy method, but let me know if you need help with the others (though I can't promise I will be able to help with all models).

MicroSD method.

Using a file manager (download Total Comander if your phone does not come with one) open your phone's internal storage. This can be named many many things depending on manufacturer, but it will be the one that has a folder named DraStic.

Open the DraStic folder. Find the folder named Backup. Open it.

You will see files named [rom name].dsv.... these are the save files copy them to the microSD card.

Take the card from the old phone and place it in the new phone. Run DraStic at least once so it makes the DraStic folder in internal memory.

Now copy the save file\s from the microSD card to the new phone's drastic/backup folder and your save file has transfered.

Now you can continue where you left off.

GeeRayo

Post by GeeRayo » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:11 pm

Or you can save a savestate on your old phone, >Manage Save States>Upload to Google Drive. On your new device, download the same game, load it and go to saves management, download and load the savestate, save with in-game option, voila.

You know what would be awesome? Add an option to upload native saves to Google Drive.

Maybe it would be safer and easier.

arceus69

Post by arceus69 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:42 pm

thx TKsilver. micro sd is prob the best way for me. my current phone is a galaxy a3 and im getting an s7 edge. But can u explain to me the second method 2 as best as u can plz?

TkSilver

Post by TkSilver » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:34 pm

Sure.

You should have a built in file manager on your galaxy a3 probably called MyFiles.

If you open internal storage or device storage (not sure what samsung calls it on the a3) you should be able to find the Drastic folder in the list of folders that pops up under that.

You shoild be able to find both the backup folder (in game saves) and the savestate folders inside the drastic folder.

Use the copy option to copy those folders (1 at a time) and select any place on your microsd card you want (I usually name the folder something like [Drastic transfer])

Once you put the microSD in your new phone you just do the reverse and copy the folders from the microSD to the internal storage (make sure to install drastic and run it first to create the proper folders)

arceus69

Post by arceus69 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:17 pm

also, when charging my phone to my laptop, i opened my phone files and found a drastic folder filled with different individual folders. i saved it to my usb.
if i put that specific folder into the new phone, and download drastic again, will i have my current saves?

thx again

Kyousuke753

Post by Kyousuke753 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:15 pm

arceus69 wrote:also, when charging my phone to my laptop, i opened my phone files and found a drastic folder filled with different individual folders. i saved it to my usb.
if i put that specific folder into the new phone, and download drastic again, will i have my current saves?

thx again
When you plug your phone into your laptop via USB cable you only need to transfer the Backup and Savestates folders onto your USB as a backup plan in case something goes wrong with your save or you didn't create a folder on Google Drive as Savestates. :)

If you still have Drastic on your old phone just upload the saves onto Google Drive in the Drastic app settings but before that you must create a folder on Google Drive called Savestates. :)

So onto your question yes if you just copy the Drastic folder your saves will still be there as long as the rom and and save names are 100% matches no spelling errors you should be fine.

Those other folders are needed for Drastic to run:

Shaders Folder (you can download shaders and put them in this folder)
Bios Folder (LEAVE ALONE)
Virtual controller Folder (where you can put downloaded skins here for touch screen)
Config Folder (LEAVE ALONE)
Users Folder NOT MUCH HERE THE USER IS YOU with Preset profiles
System Folder (LEAVE ALONE)

arceus69

Post by arceus69 » Mon May 02, 2016 1:29 pm

so can i just transfer the drastic file into the new phone? run drastic and carry off where i left off?

Kyousuke753

Post by Kyousuke753 » Mon May 02, 2016 11:01 pm

Yes since you said SD Card is best for you.

Then move the Drastic folder onto your SD card with either a built in file manager or download ES file explorer.

if it's already on the SD Card then safely unmount it from your old phone. Then take it out and insert it into your new phone via SD Card slot.

Open up the built in file manager on your new phone and locate the Drastic folder if it's there then your saves should still be intact.

If it's not then simply move the Drastic folder to somewhere else and move it back to its original spot. This way it should be recognised.

That should do the trick, unless you do something wrong like didn't properly unmount the SD Card it maybe will corrupt the files on it.

TkSilver

Post by TkSilver » Mon May 02, 2016 11:28 pm

Copying the entire DraStic folder should usually be safe, but the best idea is to run DraStic once on the new device and let it create the Drastic folder and then only copy over the in game saves (backup folder) and savestate files (savestate folder). I doubt copying the whole drastic folder will do anything bad, but it is jut a bad habit to pickup and in some cases can cause issues if files get imported that should not be imported or something new gets overwritten with something old and just various other issues that probably won't happen with drastic but I have seen happen with other apps/emulators on both mobile devices and on desktops. So best practice is always to only copy over what you have to copy to do what you want and nothing else, just in case.