DraStic for iOS?

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
King_Mo
DraStic for iOS?

Post by King_Mo » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:27 am

Moving from android to iPhone and only problem I have is that there is no emulator even near as good as drastic. And plans for drastic to be made available on the iPhone?

TkSilver

Re: DraStic for iOS?

Post by TkSilver » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:51 am

Exophase wrote:Q: Is there going to be an iOS port?
A: It's up in the air right now. If it comes out it will require a jailbroken device.
I think it will depend on how much trouble it would be to try and port drastic to iOS (possible finding someone like a lordus to handle the iOS specific issues, unless lordus also knows iOS as well as he knows android), versus how many people would pay for drastic on iOS (including whether or not there is a store that can offer the same kind of licensing protections as the google play store does that is not the apple app store since DraStic would require jailbreak to work).

I will say that I have not kept up with the state of iOS jailbroken or not. I had an iPod touch 1st gen and I still have an iPod touch 4th gen (though I don't really use it for much of anything anymore). So any points I brought up may be based on outdated facts.

JeaneMaggie

Post by JeaneMaggie » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:31 pm

TkSilver wrote:
Exophase wrote:Q: Is there going to be an iOS port?
A: It's up in the air right now. If it comes out it will require a jailbroken device.
I think it will depend on how much trouble it would be to try and port drastic to iOS (possible finding someone like a lordus to handle the iOS specific issues, unless lordus also knows iOS as well as he knows android), versus how many people would pay for drastic on iOS (including whether or not there is a store that can offer the same kind of licensing protections as the google play store does that is not the apple app store since DraStic would require jailbreak to work).

I will say that I have not kept up with the state of iOS jailbroken or not. I had an iPod touch 1st gen and I still have an iPod touch 4th gen (though I don't really use it for much of anything anymore). So any points I brought up may be based on outdated facts.
Most emulators on iOS are free, unless you buy something called the build store, which is around $10 USD per year. There's lots of people who buy apps on Cydia via jailbroken iPhone, but with iNDS getting pretty decent, few would pay for DraStic, even though DraStic is far superior.

Most iPhones use MIPS, right? Doesn't the FAQ say that DraStic won't be compatible for MIPS?
No. No no no no no no.

TkSilver

Post by TkSilver » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:36 pm

JeaneMaggie wrote: Most iPhones use MIPS, right? Doesn't the FAQ say that DraStic won't be compatible for MIPS?
All Apple iDevice chipsets (A4,A5,A8X, ect...) are ARM based Apple specified chips manufactured by Samsung (earlier chips) or TSMC (newer chips). They all use PowerVR gpu chips with faster newer versions on newer Apple A(series) chipsets.

Apple chips tend to have fewer cores at lower speeds then android phones at anywhere near the same price. The main thing is they do far better at the instructions per clock. Basically it is sortof along the same lines as what Intel decided to do when it created it's core (core2duo and others) line up. You suddenly had a 1.9GHz processor crushing 3GHz competitors even in none multi threaded workloads.

Honestly I would be personally curious about what performance a newer apple idevice would have when running drastic.

huckleberrypie

Post by huckleberrypie » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:26 am

Which explains why they still used a dual core architecture on the iPhone 6 in contrast to other SoCs having more than half a dozen cores. Though I sometimes wonder if those extra cores are worth the crap particularly on multithreaded workloads just as it does on desktop/notebook processors.

TkSilver

Post by TkSilver » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:53 am

If your talking about HMP (heterogeneous multi processing/ big.little) octa core phones, then it is not about performance at all. Well it could be if the manufacturers prioritized performance over battery life, not useable time (that would be silly) but being able to shoehorn in a smaller slimmer battery so they can shave 1-2mm off the thikness of the device (...because reasons). In a performance setup you would have the task scheduler place all lower priority tasks on a slower set of cores (OS tasks, and background apps/processes) and active apps and their related processes would have as full use of the higher powered cores as they needed. Currently the most common use is annother part of the speed step the processors use inorder to give better runtime.

The other issue that causes mobile device multi-threaded workloads to not perform up to their best is ram-per-core. For multi-threaded or multitasking it is generally best to have 1-2GB of ram per core (depending on the tasks you want to achieve). Again though ram starvation (the cpu pulling all instructions from ram before new instructions can be put into ram) is not good for performance it is what manufacturers aim for so that cores can speed down faster and more often.

To be fair though this has been the case far longer then smartphones have existed. Most laptop processors for factors of power consumption or heat generation, will run clock for clock slower then a desktop processor (unless you go and compare vastly different generations). Does that mean that the extra threads are worth less on the notebook... probably not.

kaikun97

Post by kaikun97 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:55 pm

King_Mo wrote:Moving from android to iPhone and only problem I have is that there is no emulator even near as good as drastic. And plans for drastic to be made available on the iPhone?
I would stay on Android if I were you if you want good emulators. Seems a pain to jailbreak just to use emulators

Kyousuke753

Post by Kyousuke753 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:37 am

Jailbreaking is risky and dangerous if you make a mistake.

dreamboyn81

Post by dreamboyn81 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:20 am

We need iOS version :oops:

NikaB

Post by NikaB » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:39 am

I'm not a drastic developer but i can tell you guys, that ios emulation of anything newer then SNES is near death.
Apple done something with hardware protection in IOS9 and now Dynamic recompilation (bread and butter of most emulators nowadays) is impossible, even on jailbroken devices.
So, even if there will be ios port - it will not run any game with 3d graphics somewhere near fullspeed.
You can check it with ppsspp and retroarch, which are availible on IOS.